Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1500 watts charging.. was expecting 2300 watts?

• 20-08-2024 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭

hey,

I just bought an EV and am planning to get the home wall charger soon so currently Im using the 3pin socket charge. I hooked up a smart plug to the charger and found the car is only drawing 1500kw. I was expecting 2.3kw? So for all my calculations based on 2.3kw, it should have been 1.5kw?

Is there something I'm missing or this expected? The 3 pin socket is an outdoor recently installed socket, so new wiring etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Some Granny chargers allow you to set the power draw. On my Hyundai one there is a physical button on the back iirc. Maybe it's something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ando

Thank you. That was it. Silly me, I havent had time to fully read up on it. Surely enough it has a physical button on the charger adapter which was limited to 50%. Its fully charging now at 2.3kw.

My bad, thanks for the tip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

No worries! I actually used the switch to turn down the charger cause I didn't fully trust the wiring of the socket it was plugged into and we were on a 24 hour plan at the time so it didn't really matter how long it took

Best of luck with the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

when charging at 2.3kW keep an eye on the plug to make sure it's not overheating…

Also, if you don't need it to be charging at 2.3kW, I wouldn't be putting that much stress through a domestic socket…

Thanks for the tips, yes I'll use the 50% most of the time then unless I need a quicker burst. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Goose81

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that everyone who is using a granny charger should not permanently have it set to max power draw? Or is it this car in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

it all depends on teh socket it's plugged into…. a standard 13a house socket isn't really suitable for putting out a load of 2.3kW for 12 hours straight… a few minutes to boil a kettle, heat a dishwasher/washing machine yeah, but full load for any amount of time will generate a lot of heat…

I rang my mate who wired my house last year and asked him and he said yeah it could easily melt, they melt all the time with people charging cars off them and I have to go and replace.

Good on him to let me know, he knows I have been charging my car off it for a year 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Granny chargers, at least the proper ones supplied with the car, have thermal protection built into their 13A plugs to prevent overheating. If the unit detects a rise in temperature it will throttle back the charging current to reduce it, even shutting it off altogether if necessary.

This is why you should never use them on an extension lead as you'll only be protecting the plug plugged into the extension lead and not the extension lead plug that's plugged into your house socket.

The cheap and nasty Chinese ones from Amazon etc. on the other hand very often have none of this protection and also allow 13A operation as opposed to a maximum of 10A on the manufacturer supplied ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

example Of what “can” happen. From FB Group today.

• Advertisement

It must not work that well if my mate regularly has to go and replace melted plug outlets. I doubt most of these people are using any granny charger other than the one that came with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

A lot of EVs do not come with granny chargers these days, not even teslas. As seen in the photo it's not a car branded charger. Also people may be using extension leads which has no protection at the house side. Typical granny cables are relatively short and most houses don't have outside sockets on the front of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe some of the earlier ones allowed 13A charging but they later reduced it to 10A which I understand is the maximum continuous current the British Standard specifies for a 3 pin 13A plug and socket. The thermal protection should still have worked even then so I don't know what caused all those melted plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Cheap wall sockets are also a contributing factor here. Good quality branded items from the likes of MK are much less prone to overheating. Some house builders or electricians will fit the cheapest tat they can lay their hands on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ll go against the grain here and say they still do. Collections today included the granny and type 2 cables.

Even for people that ordered after the supposed cut off date 4th July 🤷

What, MK are rubbish sockets and amongst the cheapest tat you can get , hence Screwfix sell them..

No decent electrician will supply and fit MK or BG (British General) i.e anything that is sold in Screwfix

The standard in Ireland is click and I haven't seen a job done recently with anything but click used throughout the house.

But defo a valid point re cheap sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

MK/Honeywell probably don’t have the reputation they once had but I think the likes of their logic plus sockets are still decent. Click are very popular, decent quality and now used extensively. Screwfix carry some decent stock as well but their volume sales are probably from the cheap tat. Electricans here like to deal with knowledgeable local wholesalers that offer a good service, credit facilities and a bit of discount. Screwfix will probably come and go like Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭micks_address

Also be careful with smart plugs some aren't rated to take higher loads and will melt

Thanks yea, that's what I initially used to see how much the car was taking in but its since been removed.

Advertisement