Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charts ( Up to T120 ) Summer 2024 ** READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Extremely high tides this week combined with heavy rain and strong winds mean a Nationwide yellow is more than justified! Indeed flooding for areas prone to it is a certainty along the West Coast. It may not look it on paper but I actually think the next few days could be quite disruptive especially the follow on event Thursday evening

Remember plenty still in mobile parks and campsites etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭gandalfio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Cork2021

not mentioning any names but there’s a page on facebook(Irish run) stating they’ll issue official warnings soon, as the weather deteriorates…. How do they get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭US3

Galway Beos headline

Hurricane Ernesto ‘danger to life’ warning as Met Eireann issue update for Ireland

This **** should be illegal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tonights GFS 18z showing a very warm spell of weather for the opening week of September when all the kids are back in school. A similar situation to last September which brought a very warm to hot first week to September, however this is not well supported but there is scope within the model output for a decent spell of weather to start September, just not as overly warm as the operational run.

I'll be in Spain of course during this time and it looks like my first week there will be 3 to 4C above normal with +25 to +28 uppers possible and temperatures into the low to mid 30s, I'm looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

let’s see how this holds up in west cork 🫣 I won’t get down to take it down before Thursdays wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Meant to be camping in Connemara on Thursday and Friday nights. Looks like it could be a wild one on the west coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a very unpleasant and wet looking chart if you’re camping but probably not very windy in the ‘eye’ of the storm? best of luck Akrasia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Probably gusting 70 to 75km/h overland tonight into the early morning, could see 80 to 90km/h in coastal areas in the W ( highest winds in the most exposed headlands ), heaviest of the rain along Atlantic coastal counties, small chance of a brief thunderstorm, mainly in the SW I think.

Late Thurs / early Fri morning still a fair bit of uncertainty, latest model output showing the center of the deepening small area of LP futher South on latest runs keeping the strongest winds off shore but a couple still showing some strong wing sweeping over Ireland albeit very quickly and all gone through early in the morning, will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'd be confident that the start of September will see a more settled picture, I've seen it many times over the years. When the tropics start firing at the east of the US it can disrupt the jet stream and we end up with settled weather, they even give it a name "an Indian Summer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

completely weird that temps are a little below normal today in a Tm airflow like this, many many times I’ve seen the low 20s (even when overcast) in set ups exactly like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭zisdead

Indian Sumner naming has absolutely nothing to do with hurricanes ( ex or otherwise) or indeed the Ocean in general. It doesn't even occur in September. I mean the name " Indian" alone should tell you it has to at least be associated with the great plains and front range of the US. ( I.e where most of the "Indian" tribes resided).

I will leave it to Google search so you can confirm the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭50HX

Thread is gone to the dogs between posts about what is the weather like in 5 days time I'm goin on hols in wherever to photos of will this tent/gazebo survive the high winds.

This use to be a great thread one time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm going to back up what your saying but tbh we have a valid reason this summer. This summer has been tumbleweeds for interesting model watching and discussion, we've been stuck in the same rut all summer with very little variation from one week to the next. We still haven't made it to page 3 and summer is almost over which sums this summer up. Similar on the extended range thread, there has been very little excitement in the model watching all summer. I've barely posted in there myself and normally I would posting up lots of charts from arpege and UKV models getting very excited about several days of high pressure, high temperatures, heat plumes and indeed thunderstorm probability charts, there hasn't been a sniff to this to latch onto all summer. Hopefully next summer the model watching is a bit more interesting and technical even if things don't verify. Many of us are tired and bored as well as disappointed with this summer and I can't blame them.

We used to be able to move posts from here to the more relevant general discussion thread but we can no longer do that with the new version of boards and if we were able to do that there wouldn't be much of a thread left other than my original post and a few more. The technical discussion threads will become much more interesting again hopefully soon but we need a winter with some eye candy, a stormy autumn and a decent summer to bring back the excitement in model watching. 2024 isn't going to win any awards for model watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

TThe weather in Cork is quite wild this evening. These ex hurricanes always pack an extra punch! Imo a yellow across Ireland was justified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s just a windy wet evening here in Clare. Slightly a bit out of the norm but nothing to get concerned about.

Yeah I agree. It’s been an abysmal summer. Anecdotally I bought a decent-ish outdoor table and chairs last year and was looking first to getting them back out this summer. There just wasn’t the weather for it though. Not really at all. Even last summer there were a good few evenings k sat out watching the sun go down, particularly last June 2023. I honestly managed maybe 5-7 evenings this summer. It was just cold and not very pleasant for the most part. At no point did it arrive at a point where it was particularly fine and settled. Now I’m looking at the barbecue and thinking it’ll be back in the shed in the next few weeks and that it didn’t Fahy get used as much this year as it should. It’s kind of depressing to think we’re heading back to winter already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: let's stay on topic please, discussion on charts up to +120hrs only in this thread.

Showing below the transit of the small fast moving deepening area of LP which the Met Office has named as Storm Lilian as stronger winds affect the UK. Just keeping an eye on the E, SE to see if the winds whip up some strong gusts there as it leaves the coast early morning. Quite wet with 20mm or so falling in places in a very short time. Interesting to see the warm airs being dragged up over the southern half of the country, could even be warmer in southern parts during the night hours than the day time, quite humid overnight.

Some of the Hi Res models max wind speeds. Not very high winds but the fact that trees are in full leaf would probably push it into yellow wind warning category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The SW could potentially have some localised damage there tonight, I'd imagine soil in the SE and E is so bone dry it should help to anchor trees even in full leaf.

Here's how it looks around midnight from windy.com :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

HARMONIE showing it getting very strong for a time before the strong winds leave the E, SE early morning. AROME showing strong winds in the E early morning. The strongest winds going through relatively quickly in and hour or two I'd reckon.

Advertisement