Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National EV Charging Infrastructure Strategy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Here's the government press release for it, Applegreen seem to be the most successful.

Applicant

Site Name

Junction Number

Route Corridor

ePower

Ballymascanlon, Co Louth

Jn 18

M1

ePower

Portlaoise Plaza, Co Laois

Jn 17

M7

Applegreen Electric

Birdhill, Co Tipperary

Jn 27

M7

ePower

Barack Obama Plaza, Co Tipperary

Jn 23

M7

Circle K

Maynooth, Co Kildare

Jn 7

M4

Applegreen Electric

Mullingar, Co Westmeath

Jn 15

M4

Maxol

Rathnew, Co Wicklow

Jn 16

M11

ePower

Ennis Plaza, Co Clare

Jn 12

M18

Applegreen Electric

Clondrinagh, Co Limerick

Jn 4

M18

ePower

Tuam Plaza, Co Galway

Jn 20

M17

ePower

Galway Plaza, Co Galway

Jn 16

M6

Applegreen Electric

Ballinasloe, Co Galway

Jn 15

M6

Applegreen Electric

Paulstown, Co Kilkenny

Jn 7

M9

Circle K

Kilcullen, Co Kildare

Between Jn 2 and Jn 3

M9

Applegreen Electric

Dunshaughlin, Co Meath

Jn 6

M3

Applegreen Electric

Navan Retail Park, Co Meath

Jn 9

M3

Weev

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, Co. Meath

Jn 4

M2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Looks to be a lot of existing sites in this list but also this part confused me

on the M8, new hubs will be added at Junction 12 Ennis Plaza and Junction 4 Clondrinagh, Co Limerick. On the M7 the new facilities will be at Junction 20 at the Tuam Plaza.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Following back to the primary source, the hubs are on the M18 not M8. Looks like someone made a mistake on breakingnews.ie

Maybe the journo didn't realise we have motorways that go higher than the M11 unless it's the M50 🤣

• Advertisement

Yeah and that new is not existing  🤣 🤣

The funding scheme allowed for site expansion to bring it up to the pool requirement.

Take Obama Plaza as an example, it's already got 4 200kW chargers from eCars, I wonder does that mean that ePower only have funding for another 400kW to bring it up to 1,200kW pool requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭CivilEx

It's either add to the existing eCars units with new ePower units to bring the overall pool to 1200kW, or rip out the 4 x 200kW chargers from eCars and replace them with all new ePower units bringing the overall pool to 1200kW.

I like the idea of multiple CPO's at locations, good for consumers

Epower won big as well, 6 sites and pretty much have the monopoly on the Limerick-Galway corridor, hopefully they add more than 2 recharge points per location, looking at you Applegreen

Sad to see Tesla aren't in the list considering all the noise they made a few months ago about expanding their network

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

There's a few odd locations like Ballinasloe with it's limited access and portlaoise plaza with it's soon to be 3 chargers and a 4th plinth ready to receive a charger along with applegreen the other side of the junction with their charger. It's one location I wouldn't have considered as in urgent need of more chargers.

• Advertisement

It's 80km between Obama Plaza and Mayfield. AFIR requires there to be a maximum of 60km between pools, that kind of forces a need for there to be a pool in that area.

What constitutes a pool? The plaza will have 3 ecar chargers up and running shortly with potentially a 4th to come.

Cashel to cork is 100km, is circle k's 3 chargers in Fermoy considered a pool?

I'm struggling with the logic when the likes of castlebellingham need more chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Presumably some of the sites already applied for planning permission. For example there's a hub planned for Ashbourne retail park which fits the description of near the Pillo hotel

Can't imagine putting a second hub there would make sense so presumably it's the same place

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭cannco253

Ennis plaza - isn't the Supermacs site that's under a high court challenge?

Does ePower have any current chargers live? Will this mean another fob/app?

https://www.clare.fm/news/north-clare-engineer-granted-permission-challenge-plans-m18-motorway-plaza-near-ennis/

Yes Ennis plaza is being held up in the courts at the moment

ePower have 50kW chargers at Dublin and Cork airports as well as a few 22kW AC sockets dotted around the country. ePower have an app and plugsurfing works as well. New DC chargers need to be credit card compatible so that should apply to these ones also

1200kW of charging on a site that is accessible from both sides of the road. Or two 600kW sites if they are accessible from only one side.

I think now that Citynorth has 6 chargers it meets the pool requirement, Castlebellingham at only 40km was maybe seen as less valuable than the awarded M1 J18 site which is 53km away

Sound 👍🏻

It's great to see more and more fast chargers going into the ground. In 5 years time range anxiety will be a thing of the past.

There's another funding round later this year for the major N roads. If the end of 2025 timeline is achieved it makes used CCS cars with limited range much more usable for everybody.

Is it not 1200kW minimum based on a minimum of 150kW per car? In other words 8 cars are allowed to charge at a time

It should help to boost resale values of the current fleet as well

• Advertisement

The rules are somewhat flexible. This grant scheme is providing funding to meet the 2027 obligation, but with a 2025 target.

each recharging pool offers a power output of at least 600 kW and includes at least two recharging points with an individual power output of at least 150 kW;

The regulation sets out a single direction pool definition. I interpret this as dual direction pool requiring 1,200kW and at least 4 recharging points with an individual power output of at least 150kW. So long as individual dual direction site can charge 4 cars @ 150kW the obligation has been met. Exploring that I think you could deploy 4 150kW chargers plus 12 50kW chargers, or deploy 4 300kW chargers.

I'm not sure how units like the 200kW eCars charger that can operate as 2x100kW apply to compliance. I'd argue that if you deployed 6 of them and all connectors were in use then you've not met the 4x150kW obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭prosaic

Great to see this. Sligo lacks a motorway and there are few high power chargers along the route there. That part of country will be behind in developing ev infrastructure (it already is well behind, I think). Mullingar will be some help but need something further out the road too. I was in Carrick the other day en Route to Sligo. ESB charger was in use so I used Weev one for first time (expensive).

Tbh I'd say for a lot of the country range anxiety isn't a thing anymore. It's more about having too few chargers so that you're forced to charge somewhere that isn't ideal

For example if driving Dublin to Sligo and back, ideally you'd want to charge once around Sligo, but the way things are now you'd probably be charging around Carrick which isn't really well placed. You're plugging in at a fairly high SoC on the way out or sweating it on the return wondering if you'll make it.

Not to mention the Carrick charger is very busy. Next proper hub is probably Ionity Athlone which is definitely not ideal

A charger near Sligo might be slightly more efficient, but it also acts as more of a logical stopping point mentally IMO

It's only a matter of time before Sligo gets fast chargers. Applegreen in Carraroe a prime location.

The next scheme is due later this year with awards in Q1 of 2025. That will cover the major national road network. It's smaller than this tranche with the target being 300kW every 60km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

This rte article

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0820/1465786-ev-hub-mullingar/

(mostly off topic) mentions zevi and their views or plans such as

However, Aoife O'Grady, head of the Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland (ZEVI) in the Department of Transport, said that the most important target is to get 30% of all vehicles in the country to run on electricity by 2030.

Ms O'Grady said different kinds of charging stations need to be available in Ireland in order to reduce the electricity load on the grid and also to meet people's needs.

She said the first priority of EV charging infrastructure is home charging. Around 80% houses have off-street parking, meaning EV charging can be done during off-peak hours, resulting in a cheaper 'refuelling' for the consumer and the least pressure on the electricity grid.

The next priority is neighbourhood charging. ZEVI is working with local authorities to set up areas where people can charge their cars overnight if they do not have off-street parking.

Then there will be top-up charging points - allowing people to charge their car a little faster at between 30 minutes to an hour - at locations such as shopping centres, sports clubs and gyms.

The final priority for private cars is ultra-rapid charging. This is the fastest option and will generally be along motorways.

Coming back to this, how did ePower get so many grants? They haven't installed any DC chargers anywhere to my knowledge

Are they doing it under contract for someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

ePower have a few sites with 50+kW chargers such as bray and Dundalk and other train stations, cork airport and possibly private Dublin airport, Irish army bases and other corporate customers.

They are relatively large as in one of the bigger players. They would be well able to apply for tenders and deliver the equipment. They also install a lot of home chargers so may have a network of support or contract staff nationwide. Their main issue I assume is they don't own their own sites unlike motorway service providers or petrol station chains. They also dont sell food etc.

Interesting, I didn't realise they'd made it beyond AC chargers

I think all the sites are part of the Plaza group (i.e. Supermacs)

https://supermacs.ie/the-plaza-group/

I'm guessing ePower scored an agreement with them to supply EV charging to those sites

To be fair to the plaza group they've been a bit more proactive about installing chargers than some other providers.

I suppose the fact they're a fast food company rather than a fuel company makes a difference to their appriy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

"The next priority is neighbourhood charging. ZEVI is working with local authorities to set up areas where people can charge their cars overnight if they do not have off-street parking"

Proper order ZEVI fair play to them. I've been complaining about the lack of this setup. A local 'nightsaver club' area for AC charging. Loads of terraced houses and duplexes could benefit from this.

Advertisement