Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I do think it likely than men from some cultures would be over-represented in verbal harassment. That's not for a minute to say I find it acceptable when people engage in it. In fact, I think we need to look at our harassment laws for a number of reasons. I was quite shocked to find out that certain verbal sexual harassments are quite legal in Ireland, alongside other intimidating or threatening behaviors.

I posted a report from 30 years ago, referencing Irish people, simply to show how misleading such reports could be.

I'm going to assume at this point that you didn't look much into the reports around Iraqi men, or crimes committed by people from other nationalities in Finland. I had a bit of a look myself out of curiosity and I'm even more confident now that the numbers presented aren't really anything to be concerned about.

For a start it looks to be as though the stats given represent the number of suspects for solved crimes. I noticed that there are more suspects than crimes, and I couldn't find anything in their definitions to assure me that multiple suspects could be recorded where only one had actually committed the crime, which I think could lead to an overrepresentation of foreign men in general.

Then looking at the data provided, I noticed that the numbers of suspects for each nationality outside of Finnish people per crime category were generally quite small. I saw some anomalies in the data, which was presented in the report for the years 2017 and 2018 but available for the years 2009 to 2020. It seemed as though the data peaked significantly for some non-national groups in certain years. Whether this was down to individuals committing large amounts of crimes in certain years, or certain crimes generating a large number of suspects, I couldn't tell. I am confident though that it is simply not reliable to compare a much smaller group to a larger one using the methods they have, especially where the reports are only made available for a shorter time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

The fact is you did not post a report from 30 years ago "simply to show how misleading such reports could be".

You misread the data. You thought you were making a point that you weren't. Much like how you got other figures wrong earlier in the thread

To be honest, you've blatently misrepresented facts on this thread more than once so I will take everything with a pinch of salt until I look into it myself.

Anyway, my point is, we should get our own house in order, with proper and fair benefits and amenities for our citizens, while having a safe, robust and sturdy immigration policy and not be entertaining any ideas of allowing people who harrass or endanger our citizens remain in our country. We have enough of our own degenerates, lets not allow more in.

Easier said than done, I know, but better than a "lets help everyone" approach which doesn't make our lives better. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it though.

I don't know why else you think I might have shared that report but that's the reason.

I haven't misrepresented any facts on this thread. I made a small error in describing IPA arrival rates from twenty years ago but immediately acknowledged same. I've been careful to provide tons of references in my posts and have even been criticized for being pedantic in this regard.

Speaking of blatant misrepresentations can you tell me why you think it's ok to refer to people seeking asylum as 'degenerates'? You mention letting people who harass or endanger our citizen remain in this country, who does this refer to? It sounds to me like you might be talking about some kind of zero immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭star61

I

I wonder that if it bears no real resemblance to what you actually said that you feel it was directed at you. There are so many posts from so many people.

There does indeed appear to be an attempt to portray The Irish in a very poor light. Why that is I do not understand.

I would hope they wouldn’t feel victimised, as I would hope would any nationality that are fortunate enough to live here.

I don't see any attempt to portray Irish people in a negative light.

Personally I see Irish people much the same in that sense as anyone else. Some good, some bad, everyone else just trying to get along and live their lives.

• Advertisement

You completely misrepresented the data on the report YOU supplied in posts #29681 and #29700 where you said that, although you didn't necessarily believe it, the data said that the Irish were the most violent.

"Yes, statistics from the period in question tell us Irish people were the most violent in Australia"

The data doesn't show that at all.

That was either a lie, or another "mistake".

And to futher my point, you have asked me why it's ok to refer to people seeking asylum as "degenerates".

Now lets look at what I actually said:

"Anyway, my point is, we should get our own house in order, with proper and fair benefits and amenities for our citizens, while having a safe, robust and sturdy immigration policy and not be entertaining any ideas of allowing people who harrass or endanger our citizens remain in our country. We have enough of our own degenerates, lets not allow more in."

Now where did I call asylum seekers degenerates?

I clearly was referring to people who come here illegally, legally or those seeking asylum who have broken the law.

Another "mistake".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

<Mod Snip> Do not discuss a case that is currently before the courts

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Ah sure bring them all in and it's a gold star for Paddy.Its actually embarrassing our government hate us and prefer refugees

When you look at the details of the report I shared and consider the factors involved it certainly does not seem correct to say Irish people are more violent. Likewise when you look at the details of the reports on criminality by nationality in Finland and consider the factors involved it does not seem correct to say any particular nationality is more violent, or otherwise criminally inclined.

It's still not clear who you're referring to with your claims about 'degenerates'.

What exactly are you looking for here? As I understand it there are likely plenty of people who have broken the law, or might 'endanger our citizens', who come here either as IPAs, tourists or to work.

It's absolutely clear but I will clarify it even further.

Any person, living in Ireland, who is not Irish, should deported to the country from which they arrived from, if they commit a crime. If they arrive in the country after destroying their documents, they should be put on the next return flight to wherever they came from.

The degenerates I speak of are people who break our laws.

Degenerate:

having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable

Is that clear?

And with regards to your Finland report, I haven't looked at it. I took you at face value when you agreed that you would expect to see a certain demographic overrepresented. Was that another mistake you made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭moby2101

Mod Snip - Before the courts

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

I said I expected to see more than one demographic overrepresented in certain crimes.

I also made the point that I likely broke laws in other countries due to my circumstances there. Am I too a degenerate now?

Would you also consider Irish people who have broken immigration laws elsewhere and lived undocumented 'degenerates'?

You must be disgusted that successive governments have advocated on behalf of these people!

I take you're point about deporting people who commit crimes, but I also don't know why you're posting about it in this thread if it applies in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

Trying to defelect and be vexatious won't work when your own citation states.

They face the risk of rape and other violence at the hands of family members, other refugees"

In your third paragraph you try to denigrate Irish in Australia in complete contradiction to your second paragraph.

Thus you are either engaged in a persistent and "disgusting attempt to generalise" Irish people or you will have to admit that refugees come from groups engaged in violence and rape as cited by you and the UN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

In your own words what's happening along the canal is wrong but if you're not directly impacted so what!

How many are directly impacted by what's going on in Gaza …doesn't stop them protesting and marching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,497 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sickening how these corrupt individuals can just swan over to Ireland and just carry on like nothing happened

There is so much dodgy stuff going on around this, it feels like there's an industry built around this now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

That's 21000 a year if the numbers are accurate.

In 10 years from now, we will have added 4% to the population with no long term solution for anyone in the state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You are undercounting .

A lot of these people will have families. Family reunification will give them full entitlement to any benefits going.

They're only here one reason and we all know it, the freebies, pure and simple hence the high number here compared to other EU countries.

Every disaster, war, miscellaneous opportunity that happens and our govt will be offering asylum as it fits the agenda

• Advertisement

Very proud of Dundrum residents, they were very passionate and really came across brilliantly.

Also credit to Gript Media, only for them this news story would die away like how the msm wish it would.

Here's Mattie speaking

I don't really follow whatever point it is you're trying to make.

You again seem to be taking a leap from some people within a population committing crimes, to that population itself being more likely to commit crimes, without filling the glaring gap you've left in moving from one point to the other.

Are you ready to post the rest of that quote yet or are you going to keep reposting the bit that mentions only refugees and their families?

'We all know it'???

Well that's the issue put to bed. Forget about the research, or even getting to know people who seek asylum, the good people on an anonymous forum riddled with derogatory terms about IPAs have spoken.

What's your basis for this assumption?

How many people are still living here who sought asylum in the last 20 years?

How many have we deported? How many have left voluntarily?

Govt Dept cannot give any figures and recently held a fairly substantial amnesty.

Your incredibly naive if you think people are leaving in any great number

The stats speak for itself, quit the gaslighting

If an IPAs individual has their baby in Ireland, does that grant the baby Irish citizenship?

Looking at the figures I only see a small amount of refugees living here, and I believe only a small amount applied for amnesty. I think it's fair to assume a significant number have left.

Besides there was an anti-immigration poster on a while back giving out about people getting Irish citizenship and leaving. Do you think this person was just making up false stories about IPAs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

As the Americans would say, for the slow people in the room, I was highlighting your hypocrisy and it's your citation that attributes high levels of rape and violence to refugees.

Advertisement