Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tbh, if a mod is in a postion where they are thinking that 'this poster is ruining every thread but just staying inside the rules', then the rules need revising. 'Ruining threads' should be something actionable.

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

The whole issue of "ruining a thread" is extremely dubious because it's often the troll who perceived the offense against their trolling. It's certainly way above the pay grade of posters to be calling out anyone else for "ruining a thread". Leave it to the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Ruining a thread" is highly subjective though. It could be a difficult square to circle if you're looking in greater stringency in the application of rules that will always be highly subjective.

Just to be clear, I think people who post in bad faith and make attempts to rise people have nothing to be proud of, but, sometimes I feel, as an example, if Poster A frequently posts in bad faith, but knows the art of staying inside the lines -and poster B in response, who posts in good faith in opposition, but can't stay inside those lines - then I feel maybe there's an onus on poster B to display a bit of self control too and not always rise to the bait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be honest, if someone is ruining the thread while staying within the rules, there isn't much I can do. It's not as easy to spot and any sanction can be appealed in DRP. The only reliable tactic was to let the troll do their thing, overstep, and then apply a sanction. The way threads can be ruined vary enormously. The thing isn't putting a stop to it, it's doing so in a manner which is consistent with the rules of the forum and of the site.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,115 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Someone "ruining" a thread can be looked at as low level trolling.

That may result in a nil point warning indicating their behaviour is not acceptable and escalation for subsequent examples. They may have half a dozen posts before that which we may consider do not warrant action because there is nothing specific to point to.

Of course we can then get accused of bias if we do not treat a single example from another poster the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nobody is asking for the mods to "fact check" posts and users understand that the mods are up to their eyeballs trying to deal with actionable items across the site.

What people are saying, however, is that there are a number of posters on here, some of them for years, who merely seagull into discussions and attempt to wreck them because that's how they get their jollies. These types of poster have no intention of actually discussing anything at all. They just want to engage in low level trolling and to wind people up and they have no constructive element whatsoever.

And they do it again and again.

Part of the wind up is to post baseless, so called, "opinions", often continuously and across multiple threads (even threads where the topic isn't even appropriate), that are deliberately designed to flame bait and probably aren't even the real opinion of that particular poster in the first place.

That kind of thing is absolutely instrumental in the problems the site is having and why a lot of users, both old and new, are very disgruntled at the moment.

You can tell very quickly when someone has posted something that they are unsure about or an ill-informed opinion that can lead to a genuine discussion and we've all formed opinions on matters that can be half baked. That's fine and part of discussion.

But there are people on here whose only reason to be on here is to wind other people up.

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Administrators Posts: 14,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I beg to differ, if a poster is posting, just their opinion, then sure, they can do it, but can expect to be challenged on it. If they have no particular reason to hold the opinion, then the poster should be aware it can be torn apart.

If a poster posts something as fact, then yes they absolutely should be a need for them to back that up with actual evidence/facts, otherwise everyone can just post wherever lies they want. What would be the point of that?

Have a look at my post on this thread, which received a warning. I have no idea how/why it did. The last thread, this one is based on, involved numerous posters taking pot shots at me and my posts. I was told by a mod that they wouldn't be sanctioning them, because it was a feedback thread.

Its the inconsistency. I have no idea any more what anyone is it is not allowed to post. What's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Define "a need for them to back that up" What kind of need: an obligation, a rule?

People say a lot of things about a lot of things in here, in life. Do we all have all the facts and references at our disposal when we make claims here or elsewhere?

Personally, I don't like claiming anything as facts without some evidence, but I think people need to recalibrate the actual stakes and what and where exactly we're all arguing here: this isn't a newspaper of record, a law court or the Roman Senate. It's a relatively obscure Internet Forum, with anonymous contributions. People shouldn't be shocked that standards of debate aren't that high.

And especially so in CA, which was spun off from After Hours: witless drivel was already baked into it from birth.

If you ask for evidence off a poster here for a claimed "fact" and they can't provide it, sure, that's as good as them admitting that it's only an opinion in any case. Most readers of a thread will see that for what it is.

• Advertisement

Ruining a thread, totally depends on that posters attitude towards that thread.

If some posters post that, it's backseat modding, a.Warning will come.

other posters post it because the minority voice is interfering with the echo chamber majority voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

In fairness Suvi, we don't know what post you've been warned for and we couldn't discuss the moderation of it even if we did.

That post was a general comment, not specific to any poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why are you talking for another poster? Was it Nachousers comment or was something deleted ?

It's like you are moderating here .

Have you something to tell us ?😂

If a poster wants to express their opinion let them, and if you don't like it why not scroll on by as you have told others to do

No. It has the warning in thread, everyone can see it.

I just think of someone posts something that they are claiming as facts, then they need to back it up. Opinions are just that, and posters should be allowed to reply to those opinions, with their own opinions, or even that the opinions are rubbish, because of whatever reasons they post.

It was always my understanding that moderation couldn't be discussed.

Why would I be posting on someone else's behalf, I don't follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,201 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there a glossary of terms with meanings, as I am only hearing of soapboxing and troll thanking in this thread

Do you mean if something is from IMHO, evidence proof has to be provided too, "opinions" not welcomed?

No. I think I made it quite clear. In a thread where posters are giving an opinion, then grand, so long as they expect their opinion to be discussed and opposing opinions posted against it. Fine.

In a thread, where posters are posting 'facts' then I expect they should be backing up those facts, with evidence and proof.

that's what a debate is.

A random musing thread of opinions is different, but players have to be willing to see their opinion taking apart by someone else.

Honest opinions can be backed up by evidence or, at least, some ideas as to why someone has formed a particular POV.

A genuine opinion isn't just something you pull out out your arse. It's something that you form over time based on evidence that you gather.

Asking a poster to back up what they're saying and to show their basic reasoning isn't something that should be discredited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Asking a poster to back up what they're saying and to show their basic reasoning isn't something that should be discredited.

Totally agree.

And just to clarify, this isn't 'demanding someone gives an answer', but giving them an opportunity to defend their position is a fair approach after which it should be possible to point out if they have refused to do so without being sanctioned for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I think it depends what evidence people are asking. There are some ridiculous claims made to win arguments or defeat discussion. A recurrent theme on threads to do with trans issues is any mention of men being stronger than women, or male puberty being advantageous in sport relative to female puberty is greeted with denials or asking for proof when the requester knows full well it is true but want people to waste time searching for scientific articles to back up the bleedin' obvious. These people then will turn on some arcane point in whatever proof is provided to act like it is not true or ignore the proof only to bring it up again at a later stage. They are 100% trolling and baiting but you can't call them out on that as that is backseat modding.

Exactly, and on a discussion forum you can be expected to be challenged on your views, especially contentious views. All that's being asked if someone says they'd like you to back up your view is to expand on it and how and why you got there.

The problem, I think, is a lot of people treat this forum and forums like it as if it was Twitter, where you can just dump your crap and bugger off never having to engage again. These places don't work like that. If, say, you type an opinion on a given matter whether it's that you think that 'The Godfather Part III' is the best of the trilogy or whether you think that the Bismarck was sunk in the English Channel, you're going to be asked why and how you've reached that conclusion.

That's a natural part of a discussion and only people who are afraid to discuss their ideas or aren't here in the first place for that reason will be the ones to complain about it.

You can't call them out - but you can report it. And report it with links to other posts from the poster that demonstrates a pattern of behaviour. The regular posters are more active on threads than the moderators so you are better placed to build a picture or a pattern of behaviour, and point out where it's happening to help the overstretched moderators to build that picture that others can already see.

I agree with this, but sometimes posters will refuse to accept an answer or will shift the goalposts slightly to ask another question.

If someone won't engage or answer a question you can generally take it that they can't defend their position, and that doing so will show them up, and leave them to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You've done all you can then and it's up to the mods to deem whether it's actionable or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I agree with this approach largely BBOC BUT the Vanilla platform doesn't really allow normal posters to quote a specific post like vBulletin used to in that fashion.

Instead it just brings you to the top of the page of the thread the post is on so it's hard for mods to discern what post the reporter may be referring to.

(As an aside the whole lack of multi quote being a thing on Vanilla and lack of being able to link a specific post is what killed Forum Games dead as Werewolf was largely based on this type of investigative posting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not necessarily- they might feel the poster is not asking for genuine reasons and don’t want to get into a back and forth with them derailing the thread and possibly getting themselves a warning.

That does not mean the other poster can’t defend their position. They might not feel they need to answer a particular poster.

Facts or numbers, yes, they are set in stone, true or not true so they can be credited or discredited.

Point 1 - I meant a poster who has been warned reporting every and any posts THEY THINK has breached a rule, because they've been warned. More often than not the posts haven't breached a rule but the poster is lashing out because they've been warned. This has happened in a forum I moderate and the poster was warned to stop abusing the reported posts feature by maliciously reporting posts. They stopped. Legitimate reports are fine. As always.

Point 2 - We're talking about a poster who isn't actually breaking any rules, so can't really be warned on the back of one post. But a pattern of posts or a posting style that disrupts threads can be reported and looked at.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement