Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

1289290291292293295»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Paul2019

…and that's my point, in aviation terms we have an open economic goal in front of us with a Dublin Airport hub and we've managed to land ourselves back to feeding Manchester, Edinburgh and London all over again.

When it comes to administration, we Irish may not be the brightest people on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭davebuck

This just about sums it up from a different forum

Congratulations to Manchester Airport on track for breaking through the 30m passenger benchmark. In the meantime Dublin Airport together with the Fingal County Council and Irish Government are doing their best to help you get there by insisting that an arbitrary Passenger Cap of 32m annual pax is implemented at Dublin, forcing airlines like Ryanair - Europe's Favourite Airline, Emerald Airlines, Etihad and Aer Lingus to move capacity elsewhere.

Why is the cap in place? Road Access
    Are there traffic snarl ups at Dublin Airport? None at all
    What about the 2m+ non-O&D transit pax at Dublin? Oh yes, include them in the Cap 🤯

None of this makes any sense
    hashtag#CommercialSuicide

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭jwm121

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Macrophage 449

Hi does anyone if UA have self-service check-in kiosks at T2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

We need to up our passenger cap to 45M a year or so , we have a new runway so let's use it , there was 26,000 complaints about noise to Dublin airport last year and 24,500 was made by 1 person that's 67.5 a day , I know the fear is that there isn't enough car parks etc and traffic around the airports would be upped but they can fix this surely, more buses etc because taxi prices have gone through the roof .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Adding buses in any significant volume is a real challenge right now due to the ongoing shortage of drivers across the industry.

But there should be some improvement with the addition of route 19 later this year between the Airport, Ballymun, Drumcondra and the City Centre as part of BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dublin12367

the cap needs to be removed end of story. There shouldn’t be a new one set at 36m, 40m nor 45m. There should just be no passenger cap.

If there needs to be anything to manage numbers it should be based on runway capacity and terminal capacity, not external factors such as road networks beyond the daa’s control. We have established this practice is not fit for purpose. CAR have hourly terminal limits also.

Previously iirc the figure of 23m and then later 25m was used to trigger the north runway construction. Something similar could work for new piers and T3 down the road. Built when required. Everything in the infrastructure application however was needed yesterday rather than in 4/5 years time.

Post edited by dublin12367 on

Oh I absolutely agree but there is always gonna be a cap (in Dublin Airports head anyway ) even though there is no need for it , as I said before we have a 3rd runway 2 parallel so we are well able for even 50M passengers a year , Dublin airport has plenty of land to use up be it for a new terminal, carparking , or just storing aircraft, what a waste of the new runway if their not even gonna properly use it , that's my opinion anyway

The operation of Dublin Airport is something that attracts every kind of negative meddling from a very wide range of hopelessly ignorant parties, including planners, politicians both local and national, journalists and local associations.

Like moths to a flame. They just cannot leave it alone.

It brings enormous economic cost to us all and is a great boost to Manchester, Edinburgh and London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

While some of your post makes sense (the forward planning piece) I have to disagree with your comment that it should be a free for all for DAA just because they dont control outside their land. Its this type of disjointed planning that can lead to an absolute mess of a situation.

Your post is akin to saying just let builders build houses and industrial parks everywhere and anywhere, schools / hospitals / roads / public transport prioritization etc are not controlled by them so don't worry about it, just fire ahead lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Economics101

You may not have noticed it, but Manchester, Edinburgh and London have planners too. However, I'll grant you that they probably don't have the likes of FCC or our Transport minister and hie department.

The solution is not a free-for-all: it's sensible integrated planning and regulation, something which unfortunately seems to be beyond the incompetent bureaucracies with which we are saddled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

On a different note whatever eejit moved the monitor displaying baggage belt numbers as you exit the 100 gates passport control off to the left hand side onto the wall with no signage to it deserves a kick in the rear

It used to be perfectly situated at eyeline level as you exited the corridor , but no, someone had to go and mess something up that was working perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Anyone any idea why daa haven't applied for a removal/increase in the cap and keep saying that they will probably do so 'before the end of the year'?

I agree that the solution is not a planning free-for-all.

My gripe is that Ireland has failed to recognise what an important economic asset it has with Dublin Airport.

The airport is ideally situated globally to make it a natural regional hub and Ireland benefits from all the connectivity advantages that arise from that.

The airport is also well situated locally. It's close to the centre of the Capital City, it's also fairly centrally located on the island of Ireland.

The airport had longstanding development plans and land was reserved to ensure housing was mostly kept away from noise zones.

With proper pro-active planning, we should have excellent transport links between the airport and the city as well as the rest of the island. We should also have built well thought out terminal capacity ahead of time instead of what we actually get, badly sited undersized facilities built as a panicked afterthought to overcrowding.

So now, instead of fully exploiting this airport hub potential, we have instead:

The airport managers apparently at war with the local authority planners and Bord Pleanala.

Nonsensical and ineffectual passenger caps as a response to traffic congestion.

Noise issues from people who have been encouraged by the national media to think that one shouldn't have to hear planes if one lives at the end of a runway. (Lets expand that principle to people living beside roads and railways and see where it leads - curfews for traffic and trains during certain hours?)

Ill informed and cynical politicians reacting to the latest thing they heard on social media instead of plotting a sensible way out of this quagmire.

All things considered, I don't think we could be accused of seeing the big picture, much less planning for it, implementing those plans and reaping the rewards that should accrue to any intelligently run society.

Planning is a shambles in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Lack of strategic vision is one of the greatest failings of the Irish political system. It is probably a result of the competitive multi-seat constituency system, which encourages locally-focused "fixers" above true national leadership. The overall calibre of those who enter public life is arguably pretty low when you compare Ireland to many other EU countries. Significant professional achievement and/or intellectual capacity do not rank too highly when it comes to election to Dail Eireann and the bar in this regard has probably not risen in line with the drive for increased third-level participation of recent decades. Short-termism is the name of the game for the present Government, much as it has been for the last decade or so in particular. The public service does merit some criticism, but if the political system does not lead and attach value to strategic planning, it's not really going to be driven. The strategic stuff takes time and resources for little immediate demonstrable effect, and our political masters are mostly not keen on devoting scarce resources to a lot of such activity. These are amongst the factors that lead us the present "wicked problem" of the Dublin Airport cap, which is enmeshed in the unfit-for-purpose plannng system and which no one has yet identified a way of unravelling in the short-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dublin12367

No where did I state it should be a free for all for the daa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I just don’t understand the logic of the cap resulting in restricted number of flights.

I see London City is increasing flights & numbers which is being proactive.

The British Government has approved London City Airport’s plans to increase its annual passenger cap from 6.5 million to 9 million passengers and to fly three extra flights in the first half hour of operations during the week.

However, the airport’s proposals to extend its operating hours on Saturdays – which would have boosted its leisure passenger traffic – has been rejected.

The airport currently closes at 12:30pm on Saturdays and after an extensive consultation process, the airport had requested a new closing time of 6:30pm that would have enabled more choice and flexibility for passengers.

Sorry I tried to paste the link but for some reason I cannot. I took this from www.ittn.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭jwm121

I've seen a lot of articles recently on people complaining about Dublin Airport's dominance and that the demand should be ''shared around''. The comments made by these people whether they are regular members of the public or mayors/politicians of some of these rural areas are ridiculous and they've got no idea what they are talking about. The continuous media output of this and putting these people on a pedestal to talk about something which they have clearly done zero research about and know nothing about is very enraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

To be blunt - they are idiots.

What exactly do they think is currently stopping any airline that wants to start a route from Cork, Kerry, Shannon or Knock right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭moonshy2022

it’ll be interesting to see over the next few years if there is any route development from the regionals as airlines can’t grow at Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

Get ryanair back to Waterford lol ( don't @ me I know the runway's too short )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

DAA launched an incentive scheme focused on Cork. Whether there will be shifts of services remains to be seen.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/cork-airport-more-flights-dublin-29497837

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Economics101

It's almost as if they haven't learned any lessons from the Shannon Stopover nonsense of all those years ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ive been sayign this for years. We (the Irish) have a terrible attitude of "sure it'll be grand".
    ( I read an opinon piece about it around 10-12 years back)
    This is assisted by our 3-5 year vision parochial political landscape.

No motorway connecting Sligo-Galway-Limerick-Cork.
    2 lanes on the M50 went it was built.

Most bustops having zero cover, the ones that do are tokens.
    The DART being a basically a single line when it was envisioned as 3.
    Single track railways.
    And an old one from my childhood, that uncovered platform at Limerick Junction in Co.Tipperary.

Advertisement