Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people over 40 be banned from nightclubs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Most people play golf because they like it not as a replacement for something they are too embarrassed to do or what some wannabe journalist embarrasses them out of doing.
    P.S. that dinner is like the puréed stuff you’d get in a Home For The Elderly. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

8 pints last night and 27 holes today. It was a good agricultural portion of clubhouse food I wanted, not the tasting menu in Chapter One, Tabby. 3 types of spuds. Be still my beating culchie heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tedious man plays dull game followed up with bland meal washed down with watery pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gen Z react to article by turning out in huge numbers to listen to 70 year olds at gig. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Looks fine to me. A Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭yagan

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-41458156.html

The Examiner publishes a rejoiner to the piece this thread is about.

Unfortunately while expressing what many, including myself have opined on the subject he failed to tackle the extremist nature of the piece, namely the agist call for a ban.

I cancelled my sub to the Irish Times when they waded into flaming gender wars with articles like "all boys are raised in a soup of misogyny", and thought the Examiner would be a less strident alternative. However if they progress down agist extremism for ragebait all they're doing is alienating the middle space.

Edit to add, grooming that young writer to produce rage bait doesn't win young readers. Even though I grew up that youth bulge of the 80s there was never talk of banning people over a certain age from any venue. A lot of night clubs were simply extensions of existing venues where all ages could have their space.

Ultimately the real loser in this saga is the young scribe, they're being rewarded for being socially divisive.

I'm sure there's other examples of agist extremism but the one that springs to mind is the political movement that Victor Orban was part of that banned anyone over the age of 35 from membership. Now he rails against younger generations for being too pro EU and not being Hungarian revanchist enough.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That opinion piece one writes utter crap most of the time. Not sure if it's just trolling or she actually thinks that shite.

Imagine writing an article saying no black people in clubs. Racism wouldn't be acceptable so why should ageism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes thats her.

The thread title should be changed to "Should we give the opinion of a 20 year old snowflake the time of day".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I would go as a novelty with a group if it was a spur of the moment decision like passing by a place on the way home from the pub, just to go for a dance with friends, but I would never be focused on a night out to go to a nightclub.

There's nothing wrong with being 40 and going to a club, if we had clubs that were music focused and a variety of offerings genre wise it would be about the music, a better experience. It wouldn't be so much as for the young wans but about people collecting to appreciate music they're in to. Festivals being an example of this, there's an appetite for good music-centered events.

Like in Berlin where all ages head out and all more about the experience of the event, the music being the focus. Instead here where it's the same jukebox, all about getting hammered and by and large a waste of time. That is something anyone over 25 gets tired of very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ageism already exists in the hospitality industry.

Over 21/23 is still allowed over the place despite the government making it illegal a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Bring back the slow set

She looks like a librarian as well, I doubt she is any craic on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Woodcutting

Wouldn't it be in breach of Equality legislation. Age is one of the nine grounds

Apologies if someone said that tl/dr

@Greyfox. I was trying to quote you it wouldn't work

Well said. Tabloid trash. Papers dumbed down they don't want to offend their advertisers. Why would you need to study journalism to write that garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

does she mean D2 as in Dublin 2 the area with most nightclubs in Dublin or D2 the former bar/nightclub thats been closed for years?

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why shouldn't they go if they want. Not everyone is a sleaze bag with a salmon shirt. That so called journalist is probably in there on some nepotism gig

I wonder if her next diatribe will be "pensioners should just be euthanised, what good are they anyway?"

I'd imagine she's great fun around the family dinner table.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

im 65 and if i want to go to a dish-co ill feckin well go to a dish-co,feckin young wans today AND ill wear a pin…sorry SALMON shirt 😎

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm just back from a 4 day rave in the field. I'd say the average age was at least mid 30s. Meaning there was plenty of over 40s.

I know quite a few 30+ yr old women who adopt a 'Rave Mom' mentality when they go to these things.

As many have said before, this particular 20yr old just doesn't have the world view to have a well grounded opinion on this topic.

One thing I've noticed though, reading through this thread, no one has mentioned much about the music. It used to be that you went to see certain DJs, or certain themed (genre) nights because the music uplifted you and made you feel a type of way. There use to not be a way to experience it outside of the clubs. Nowadays it's on Spotify playlists. Sad really. That sense of community is lost. That's why I go to the smaller festivals with only 1 or two stages going at a time, it still has that feel.

Sauce: Am over 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its a badly written piss take designed to do exactly what its done here. But I'm sure there are people who think exactly this also.

51. Last nightclub visit lost in the mists of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

If you're getting shítfaced you're not going to remember much anyway.

There was so much hype about Time nightclub in Naas when it first opened. Three dancefloors, top DJ's, great music. It's going to be the best nightclub in Ireland they said.

I remember walking in the door and hanging my coat up. Everything else is a blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

I actually think that maybe the article's author is right.

In fact, I'd go so far as to take her suggestion further and ban under 40's from all establishments except nightclubs. That way we'll be spared the cocaine fuelled zombies screaming all sorts or random nonesense, hordes of young wans in fake American accents and young lads almost gassing the place having doused themselves in cans of Lynx Africa, and screaming at rushed-off-their-feet bar staff "2 Heinekens, 3 vodka and whites and 5 shots of Sambucha" while skipping the queue at the bar.

She may be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

The last time I was in a nightclub was in Club 92.
    We had been at a night at the races and when we came out there were no taxis so we went into the club.
    The place was full of like minded people. The DJ copped on and played music that suited the crowd. We had a great night. I didn't observe any sleaziness.

The kids called to see if we were alright and when we told them we were out dancing they thought it was hilarious. They just told us to have a good time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

A festival in Manitoba, Canada. Yes, very legal and above board. It's called Bring Your Love. This was year 6. I've been there since day 1. I've DJ'ed at them all and help build and paint some of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If it’s good enough for aul Farmer Michael to go to the dishka then it’s good enough for me.

Actually the last time I was at a disco was in Oz where my wife's work colleagues was celebrating his thirtieth while we were in our 40s. I found it really weird that nearly all the music in the nightclub I had heard first time around in nightclubs in the 80s/90s.

If anyone if going to ban over 40s then we'll be taking our music with us too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

music today is sh1te. Taylor swift, Edmund Sheeran 1 direction. Myself and herself would be out every weekend and would go to a disco bar that plays 80s and 90s music. Always have a good time. We’re mid forties. It’s over 21s so no teeny boppers

Advertisement