Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Wi-Fi Calling while roaming

• 20-08-2024 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

I was in the US with my wife for the last couple of weeks. While there, Wi-Fi calling wasn't working on my iPhone 13. I was of the impression that Vodafone geoblocked it while roaming. But I later noticed that my wife's Galaxy S20 had the symbol in the top status bar. Her phone was in flight mode but with Wi-Fi enabled. I tried making a call on her phone and it worked.

So is it phone-specific or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Probably a glitch. Last year when i was in the UK wifi calling worked but hasn’t worked since. I was using an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you keep the phone in flight mode for the entire trip, the network may not be aware that you are roaming? Geoblocking is probably based on roaming status rather than IP address, because IP address wouldn't be a reliable indicator of location (eg some US employers in Ireland may offer US IP addresses on their private WiFi). If you switch on WiFi while in flight mode, the phone will still not try to connect to the local mobile network, and instead will just connect to the Internet via WiFi. Vodafone officially don't support WiFi calling when roaming, but perhaps you can fool the network by staying in flight mode? Eir/GoMo are the only Irish network to support it WiFi Calling while roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

just to add to my experience when wifi calling worked on my phone in the UK it wasn’t on flight mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PH0NER

Eir/GoMo seem to be the only carriers in Ireland that don't actively block WiFi Calling while abroad.

I've been able to get Vodafone WiFi Calling to work while in the US by disabling location services on WiFi Calling, then turning a VPN on and setting it to Dublin. After a few hours, it activated

Advertisement