Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

1163164165166167169»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

You said “Purchase up North in relatives name”

That means, you purchase the car and register it in your relatives name…

For the purpose of avoiding import tax and VAT…

Connecting the dots yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I get your point, so car paid for by the initial purchaser with their money is ok then. thanks for claryfying

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BMW318iSEAuto

Just purchased a fully loaded 330e (first registered in Jan 2020) from Bavarian BMW in Belfast. It was in GB as a demonstrator for a year before Bavarian sold it to a private buyer in the North in 2021. They then sold it back to Bavarian.

The CO2 on the V5C was showing as 38 so assumed I'd be paying 7% VRT. However, at my appointment at the VRT office in Greenhills, I was charged 9% as they said the CO2 for vehicles registered pre-April 2020 was on the NEDC scale. They said they needed to convert this to WLTP using the formula 38 x 0.9 +34, resulting in a new CO2 rating of c.68. This meant paying another €550.

I then requested a CoC from BMW and, thankfully, it showed both NEDC at 38 and WLTP at 36. I duly made an appeal to revenue and, after two days, I was told that I would be getting a refund of €550 based on the CoC WLTP rating.

I hope this helps somebody that may find themselves in a similar situation. The only thing I'd do differently is get the CoC before going to pay the VRT.

All in all, I paid c.€28,500 inc. VRT. Similar spec/mileage models on Carzone are advertised between €33-38k, so definitely worth the effort. And, as it was an Approved Used BMW car, it came with 12 months international warranty and roadside assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am thinking of switching car, and I am considering going to NI, but this is all new to me, so I appreciate any advice.

I want to check am I missing something.

I am looking for Skoda Karoq 2020.

I am somewhat aware of the Windsor Framework.

I looked up www.usedcarsni.com, and I searched for 2020 Karoq models with 1.0 L engines.

I find a SE model with a 1.0L TSI petrol engine asking 12,800 GBP, which is equivalent to 15,100 euro approx.

I then check the Revenue VRT calculator, and the combined VRT and NoX is 3,539.

Added together, that is 18,700 approx.

When I look on DoneDeal for similar 2020 models, they are asking from 24k upwards.

Am I missing something? Is it really 5k cheaper? Is there some catch that I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BMW318iSEAuto

Just ensure that the VRC shows that a private individual owned the car for at least 3 months in NI.

Also, as per my post above, if the car was first registered in UK prior to April 2020, revenue will recalculate the CO2 figure shown on the VRC using the formula CO2 x 0.9 +34. This may or may not put it in a different VRT bracket. Try and get hold of the CoC from VW/Skoda if you can to see what WLTP figure it shows. If this figure is lower than the re-calculated VRC figure, revenue will acept the CoC version.

I used to import a car every few years from the UK pre-Brexit. It was so much easier then and with a far greater choice of vehicles available. However, as my 330e acquisition shows, it is still possible to get a bargain up North (compared to prices down here), plus you save on the added costs of ferry etc.

One last piece of advice, definately don't be afraid to haggle over the price with the dealer/seller up north. If the car has been sitting around on their forecourt for a while, they will be open to offers. Even if it hasn't, still try. I saved £750 off the sticker price on a car that had only just appeared on Autotrader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Does anybody know what the story is with an ex demo car up the North? It has a Northern Irish registration but it was never privately owned. It is over 6 months old and over 6000km. Is vat and customs due on that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Oh, that's interesting, I was looking at a car but it was previously owned by a company, is that different?

The salesman says it isn't an issue when he told me this, (from a Charles Hurst dealership), has given me a copy of the spec page of the V5 but won't give me any more so I'm getting wary, but maybe unnecessarily so?

If the car is NI from new then theres no vat or customs. If the car was previously registered in the UK then it needs to be owned privately in the North for 3+ months to qualify as a NI car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

could you possibly get the uk vat back in this case? i.e. is the car “VAT qualifying”?

re the query a few posts up on NI ex demo

Advertisement