Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone any Sandaya discount codes for 2025?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey there, we're currently in Le Bois Dormant and we have 4 nights left.

Like every campsite we've been to over the last 11+ years, none of them have everything but all of them have that one thing that sets them apart, for this one that thing is the location, absolutely stunning walks outside your front door, beautiful beaches as far as the eye can see and multiple pretty towns a short spin away.

Unfortunately what let's this site down is the animation team and entertainment program, if you plan on staying in your mobile home drinking cheap beer and wine at night then this is for you, if like us you enjoy going down every evening for a different show and taking in the atmosphere then stay away, I'm honestly pricing other campsites nearby for the last 4 nights.

There is absolutely no attempt from the animators to speak English, they will at the welcome drinks and at their big money maker the bingo night but that's it, last week we went across the road to Mason for the early fun bingo and the animator needed a member of bar staff to explain the rules and to call out the numbers in English.

I understand Siblu are a predominantly French campsite as this is our 5th time staying with them but in other Siblu sites like Domaine De Kerlann the entertainment is far superior and they cater for English speakers, my eldest has grown out of kids camp but our youngest two only went once this holiday as only one of the animators spoke English to them and there was only one other English speaker.

The pool doesn't close for a siesta this time of year but that is the time you should go there as before 12 and after 3pm is pandemonium with little to no loungers, as mentioned the pool is basic with only two slides but my kids liked it.

Unlike a previous poster I actually preferred the bar in Dormant to Mason as there's a lovely outdoor area looking over the pool, whereas Mason is like an old barn shed that only opens at 5pm, and the stage in Mason is indoor and stuffy but Dormants is outdoors.

While the pool doesn't close for a Siesta this time of year the shop does from 1pm to 4:30 but you're honestly not missing out on much, the shelves are embarrassingly bare and extortionate.

Before anyone says that we need to make ourselves known and tell them we speak English, we did it on the welcome night and at two shows, last night the entertainer came over to my 8 year old son with the microphone and spoke French to him so my son responded in English, he spoke back to my son in English but didn't speak one more word of it for the night or included him.

As I said the location is Le Bois Dormants selling point and my problems might not be problems for other people but you just need to know as much as you can before you book because I wish I did.

My top 5 campsites over the last 11+ years in France

Le Littoral- Talmont Saint Hillaire

Les Mouettes - Carantec

Des Ormes - Dol De Bretagne

Saint Gilles - Benodet

l'Océan Breton - Plobannalec-Lesconil

Enjoy your holiday wherever you book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

When we're in France I don't expect people to speak English.

Our kids just get on with it.

As I said, our problems may not be problems to everyone depending on your personal requirements.

And yes you're 100% correct, we don't expect French people in bars, restaurants, shops, markets etc to speak English as the equivalent in Ireland wouldn't be able to speak French.

But what I do expect is the staff of a company who offer their website in English, who post the weekly entertainment, activities & kids camp schedules in English to speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

I expect siblu site staff to speak some English but at the same time dont expect all to be fluent. They market heavily to UK and Irish (unlike Capfun or Les Castels sites) They have "popular with Irish" on their website for various campsites.

We had the same experience with the night time entertainment but it didn't take from our holiday and more or less expected it to be mainly french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Thanks for that - I didn't book it in the end as was seeing mixed reviews! The lack of English speaking doesn't bother me really as I speak French but it's not so much fun for the rest of the family if only one person out of 5 understands what is happening.

We are torn now between Clarys Plage, Les Genets & Sol a Gogo. Apparently Sol a Gogo is going to be a Marvilla Parks site next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

How old are you kids? We went to Le Littoral this summer, and are booked to go back again next year.

Our kids are both under 6, and it was ideal.

I don't think it's great for kids over 12 though. It really seems to cater for younger children, and I definitely felt that teenagers looked bored this summer. I spoke to a few families there this summer who were there for a 4th or 5th time. They all said that it would be their last trip, as their kids had outgrown the site

We're doing 1 week in Le Littoral, followed by a week in Clarys Plage in 2025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Eldest will be 10, youngest 5. We've booked Les Ormes for a week next year but looking to go a bit further south for our second week, in the hopes of slightly better weather! We've been in Carnac this year and last & weather was a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I know it's been mentioned countless times but we were in La sirene with our 10 & 5 year old this year and it was amazing. Booked again for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭raxy

We were in Clarys plage a few weeks ago. Hated it. Cabin was nice but they're crammed in. The restaurant is a takeaway hut that serves pizza & burgers. Had to que for 45 minutes to order & then wait another 40 minutes for the food.

The pool area looks great on the pictures but it's quite run down & uneven from what looks like bodge jobs repairing the flooring around it over the years. Main complaint was the splash park did not work for almost the entire 5 days we were there. It worked for ~ 10 minutes the day we arrived & then the last hour on our final day. The ground was covered in algae/slime & very slippy. The main pool was too crowded as well, maybe down to the splash park not working.

I've seen others recommending it but I wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

I was there too, think you're being a little harsh

The takeaway hut isn't great, but there's a supermarket literally next door (including a dedicated gate)

There are also quite a few restaurants and takeaway food options next to the supermarket, so right outside the gate.

There are a couple of spots were the pool walking areas are uneven, but hardly a hanging offense. The pool and slides were clean and good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

Any recommendations for campsites South of Nantes, in and around La Rochelle, Dordogne, Royan, La Palmyre.

Kids ages 12,10 and 8.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Has anyone done la litterol with a 2 year old? We would like to go in June so it's a risk with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

I liked Bonne Anse Plage and for the first time ever we rebooked. It's older than other sites and in ways feels a bit more basic but great location. A lot of the Irish families we spoke to were repeat customers going 7 or 8 years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tommiekly84

Rebooked myself this year. It's a lovely spot, great location. Pity they only do Saturday to Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Tommiekly84

Was there this year with an 18month old. There is a nice soft play yhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭webpal

Book privately and you might be able to get around that. Worked for us. I’ve used this site a few times over the years.

https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/owners

It's our first time sailing on the Pont Aven since they pushed back the departure time to 23:00, just wondering what time the shops, restaurants and duty free close? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rex_turner

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more accurate answer but we were on it last week and I reckon they were open until at least 11:30pm. We ate beforehand so not entirely sure but self service restaurant seemed to be serving until after we set sail. I walked past the fancier restaurant and that was empty so presume that wasn't open. I walked through the shop as well looking for a missing child and think that was after we set sail too! A good few cabins weren't ready until almost 11pm so people had to wait to get into them which must have been frustrating (we were fine) - hadn't experienced that before so not sure if that was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Would anyone have recommendations for campsites south of Bordeaux or even towards San Sebastian? Planning our trip for July 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stayed in Yelloh! Sylvamar in Labenne one year. Happy enough with it. We're pitchers, but this site had some pitches with their own bathroom/kitchen units so we especially liked that. Good mix of nationalities on the site including a few Irish but not too many. Lazy river was good. Easy base for day trips to San Sebastian, Biarritz and Pyrenees. Took surfing lessons up in Cap Breton which you can reach by cycle paths.

Thanks Josip, I will have a look! The area looks like a beautiful part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Friends of ours were in Yelloh! Village Lous Seurrots. It's on the coast midway between Bordeaux and Bayonne. They thought it was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭airy fairy

That's very frustrating to have no cabin at that late hour. I assume it's something to do with the outsourcing of staff that turn the cabins over after each sailing. I noticed it before boarding Cork this year, and again in Roscoff coming home. Loads of workers entering the ship and then coming back off again,both sides.

I noted earlier that the Pont Aven was a different experience this year, I saw a lot of cutbacks,ittle by little over the years, been sailing every year since they introduced the PA but this year the lack of staff was really noticeable. Disappointing as the premium cost of sailing always reflected the sailing experience, but not as much anymore. Even the Cork office is redirected to the UK since covid times. It's the little things.

Super, thanks. Never stayed in a Yelloh! village so that would be a good change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

we stayed in a four star campsite in Normandy last year and it didnt suit us at all. It was huge with indoor and outdoor pools and lots of eurocamp chalets.

Small natural and friendly touring campsites with a few mobiles or safari tents seem to suit us a lot better. Any recommendations around northern Spain or southern France. Would like to try something beside the sea for a change. Might try bring our own camping gear this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

Stayed at La Rive in the last month for 1 week.

Its 1 hour south of Bordeaux in the Biscarrosse Region.

This site has many tent, caravan and static pitches ranging in size and comfort.

I flew into Bordeaux before heading to campsite, our neighbour was at the same site in June and floated to Bilboa before driving to the campsite.

when I was there the people were mainly French, Dutch, Belgian and some English.
    in June it was mainly English and Irish.

its a lovely site and the water park is good but will be busy but there is always a seat available.
    there is a shallow lake that is accessible with water sports, it seems to be a great place to cycle.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

We were there this year with a 4year old and a 22month old.

Did the last week in June and first week in July

The youngest loved all of the indoor slides, the soft play area, and the smaller of the playgrounds right outside the soft play area.

Weather was generally fine when we were there. Some very hot days, lots of comfortable days, and a few cooler/wet days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We spent half our holiday at Camping Cote d’Argent in Hourtin sur mer. Ticked a lot of the boxes for us.
    - walk to beach (super surf)
    - walk to restaurants outside the campsite
    - safe cycle routes.

Kids 11, 9, 8 loved it

• Advertisement

Thanks, that popped up on a search all right. Nice to hear about restaurants close by and cycle routes.

We cycled on dedicated cycle routes for 30km one day. No end to the cycle routes nearby. Think of our greenways and multiply the distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That looks like a great spot for cycling and flat as a pancake too. Was the new pool area all complete for this season?

The pool area was perfect. All finished well before we got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭suilegorma

I found similar. Hated walking around the pool area as it was painful due to loose parts. Lifeguards chatting to each other. Also way too crowded. Wouldn't return to that site but liked the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Not beside a village, shops or public transport though. You will need a car if you want to get out and about

When we were there in late June a few years ago the place was half empty which made everything easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, I used Lifestyle this year after years of Eurocamp and Canvas, I’m looking to book for next year and want to use Lifestyle again. Has anybody experience of whether their prices are likely to change? they appear to be fairly transparent and you get a 10% discount for loyalty and another 10% for payment in full. Eurocamp’s pricing seems to change throughout the year and random discount codes become available that can be applied, so often left it very late with them to get a good price.

Just booked Saint Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne last night for this time next year with Eurocamp. Lots of slides and pools for kids etc and surrounded by lovely villages and towns.

Driving up from Bilbao.

Thanks, I didn't think about going that far in land. The Dordogne is supposed to be a lovely region.

We're driving from Roscoff (we love a road trip!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

pin parasol approx 1 hr south west nantes and 50 mins west la rochelle, perfect for them ages i would say

My first time to Dordogne however I have done Pyrenees and Biarritz in the past. When going that far south I just prefer to go via Bilbao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi,
    We’ve just returned from a fantastic three-week Eurocamp holiday at Les Ecureuils in the Vendée. There were five of us, plus our dog. We’re looking to book for next year but would like to venture a bit further south to explore more villages. We loved the size and feel of Les Ecureuils.

We have three kids: twins who will be 11 next year and our eldest, who will be 13. He’s on the autism spectrum (ASD), and a quieter campsite really suits him, which is why we chose Les Ecureuils.

He loves the swimming pools but isn’t into water slides. The twins are up for anything—soccer, horse riding, go-karting, etc. We’ll also be bringing our small dog.
    We’re looking for recommendations somewhere between Les Sables-d’Olonne and Royan. Ideally, we’d like a location within walking distance to a sandy beach with waves suitable for jumping and body surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭murt101

I'll second St Avit, we've been a couple of times and loved the campsite, and the region has lots to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. We're planning our first trip to France next July. Hope to sail from Dublin to Cherbourg, and drive no more than 4 hours or so on the other side. So maybe somewhere like Clarys Plage.

This thread is a gold mine, and I'm slowly working my way through it from page 300.

On question I haven't seen an answer to, is is there any need to / benefit in booking this far in advance? Or would it not make much difference if we leave it to January or so?

It looks like Irish Ferry are around €2,000 for a car and "family" cabin, out on Saturday 05/07 back on Sunday 20/07 at the moment, but offer a 20% "early booking" discount on that when I get to paying. Is there any rush to take up this price? I've seen people recommend paying extra for flexi tickets, and cancelling and rebooking if price drops, so I'll probably do that.

Then, one of the reasons I kind of want to get the ferry booked, is so that I can book a campsite, but again, is there any benefit or urgency to do that now? Or could we wait until the new year?

I'm looking at more expensive saturday and sunday sailings, because I suspect some campsites, only allow chek in / out at weekend. Do any of you sail mid week?

Finally, I can't really figure out the differences between the different cabins on the Irish Ferries site. Particularly size. We'll be two adults, a five year old and a three year, so I'm thinking we need a "family" cabin. Would any of you move up or down for any reason? "Club" doesn't sound worth it for us, but maybe there's some reason to consider it.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

There's a standard 4berth cabin option as well, not sure of the difference between them but it's a good bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rex_turner

I can't help specifically with your questions re Irish Ferries but in my experience the Brittany Ferries sailings from Cork at the end of June/start July book out quickly particularly the cabins, this is because Irish schools are on holiday but French schools aren't so campsite prices are cheaper. We have traveled midweek during this period and have been able to book our accommodation accordingly but usually restrictions on Sat-Sat/Sun-Sun stays can kick in after the first week of July which is when high season prices can kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The family cabin has about a metre of space between the bottom bunk and bathroom where a cot could be placed, whereas the normal 4person cabin has about 40cm, so enough to stash a suitcase (very useful in a small room) but no more.

We travelled with Brittany ferries this year, with a 4 and a 2 year old, and got the basic 4 person cabin. It wasn't great because we didnt do our research. My wife took the 2 year old into a bottom bunk with her, and barely got any sleep, as she was moving about all night. The 4year old took the other bottom bunk, and I took a top bunk, as I was doing the driving the next day

We're booked in again for next summer, in the same size cabin, and my plan is as follows:

Take the mattresses off of the two bottom bunk beds.

Lay these on the ground, and fold away the bottom bunks.

Let the 3yr old and 5 yr old sleep on the mattresses on the floor, and my wife and I will sleep on the top bunks

• Advertisement
Advertisement