Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I have exactly the oposite opinion. Hamas and Hezbolah are terrorist in my view, and they terrorised Israel. Should that be tolerated by the Western world?

And historically it's been the Jews who were hunted town, ( Nazis, Reichskristallnacht, ) so naturally they have a right to fight back.

Also, our christian culture is closer alligned with Jewish, rather than with Arabs.

The Jewish faith is also way older than the Muslim faith.

But again, it's a controversial opinion.

I was just utterly shocked that so many Irish take sides with the Palestinians. Germans or Austrians would never dare to do that, at least not to that great extent, considering the history.

And, also, Ireland is always proud of neutrality. What about neutrality in this conflict? Apparently also a no go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ireland is only militarily neutral. And at that it’s only a historical government stance. It’s not written into our constitution. Historically we’ve been politically aligned to many different sides of particular conflicts. Look at Ukraine vs Russia for example… even then beyond politically our armed forces have provided some weapons training to Ukranian forces… so we pick and choose our relationship with neutrality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

What about the thousands of innocent women and children that neither side seems to care about? Nobody in Ireland supports Hamas or Hezbolah but I'm sure you already know this. Irish people are proud of our neutrality which is why we are disgusted with everyone who kills innocent people. It's not ok for terrorists to murder children and its not ok for a countries army to kill children. Irish people simply want peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have never waved a Palestinian flag. But if I did it would be because of the reason above and also because I'm not keen on ethnic cleaning.

I don't excuse any of the violence committed by Palestinians. I do however acknowledge that violent resistance* is a natural consequence of prolonged oppression. We all understand that fact when we look at Irish history and see they did a violent rebellion every 30-50 years.

*violent resistance doesn't have to extend to non-military people and targets. If the Palestinians only attacked isreali military targets and only killed military personnel, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Nor would I have a problem with isreali military killing Palestinian military (which gets tricky because isreal control Palestinian affairs and explicitly forbid them having a military).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Also, our christian culture is closer alligned with Jewish, rather than with Arabs.

The Jewish faith is also way older than the Muslim faith."

I don't see what that has to do with anything, esp as Christians have been hammering Jews for thousands of years for killing Jesus (also a Jew)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Oversimplified, Judaism is the Abrahamic OG, Christianity and Islam are reforms and evolution. One guided by a pacifist carpenter, the other, well, we all know by whom.

Funny that Christianity wasn't awfully pacifist though. Crusades were murdery enough.

Yes, imagine the other one, how can that even dream of being pacifist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The people who wave Palestinian flags are supporters of terrorists.

The Palestinians could stop the war tomorrow if they gave back the Israeli hostages and Hamas, surrendered.

I’m not a Jew but I support Israel’s right to exist and defend itself against people who want to eliminate Israel and kill all the Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The right to exist is one thing , the right to occupy and kill is another

The war could end if Hamas surrendered. Why don’t the Palestinian sympathisers call for Hamas to surrender?

I think they should , but Israel doesn’t get to launch a genocidal war because of one terrorist attack

Maybe Israel should write them a letter asking them to be nicer in future. That should do it.

Not everyone agrees with the genocide propaganda being spouted.

When Israel targets schools with displaced people taking shelter , there’s only one answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

Something that's interesting is people are very fact to say they support Palestinian and not Hamas fair enough. Yet according to the same people everyone from Israel is branded the same and should be boycotted etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,011 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The difference is people are supporting Palestine (the country) and not supporting Hamas (the terrorist organisation) and they are against Israel (the country) so that's why they want to boycott all Israel. A terrorist organisation is attacking Israel, almost everyone agrees that's wrong, but they act within their own set of rules. Israel as a country is performing genocide on a neighbouring country, and as a country themselves they should be held to a higher standard than a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Agreed… and Israels use of white phosphorous missiles (restricted under international humanitarian law), targeting civilian populations, early in the conflict, is another example of utter inhumanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I also agree with isreals right to exist and defend itself.

The controversial question is: does Palestine have thd right to exist and who should defend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

This post clearly shows that you know nothing about the conflict. If a terrorist takes control of a school obviously the teachers that work in the school are just as bad as the terrorist, maybe the children are terrorists just for existing.

Hamas attacked Israel not Palestine, its important to be aware of the actual basic facts before you discuss a topic. Yes Israel have every right to exist and defend itself, but they do not have a right to target locations full of children.

• Advertisement

Just because someone’s opinion is different to yours is no reason to assume that they know nothing about the subject.

This is a war not a terrorist incident. There will be civilian casualties in any war. The line between Palestinian civilians and Hamas is also very grey.

Israel needs to eliminate Hamas as a threat for its security. A Hamas surrender and the return of the Israeli hostages will end the conflict- why aren’t Simon Harris and Michael D calling for this solution? Why aren’t you calling for this solution?

Why didn't the Provos just surrender to the British government?

If you don't talk to the other side, strike a deal, no matter how much it disgusts you, you're going to have a forever war.

I don’t think that you can equate the Provos with Hamas.

Hamas only want a ceasefire so that they can regroup and refocus on their goal of destroying Israel and it’s people.

A ceasefire without a Hamas surrender is a victory for Hamas.

The Provos goal was a United Ireland through armed struggle, they didn't get that. Not yet at any rate.

Point still stands. You kick a dog continuously, you shouldn’t be surprised if that dog bites you.

Obviously, you are talking about Hamas/Palestine starting this part of the conflict last October and now crying about the consequences of their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

That's simply not true. There is a tendency for good teachers gravitate to better schools, if only for career fulfillment purposes. Also, like in any other profession, people will take jobs in good areas ahead of working somewhere dodgy.

Here's a contraversial opinion. Many schools in these areas have teaching staffs who are the dredges of the teaching profession. No real intetest in the kids, who they (wrongly) regard as having no prospects. Then throw in the odd nutcase who believes their superior to the kids because they come from a more middle class background.

In many cases the schools fail the children.

Obviously you have ignored the long long history of Israel's land stealing.

It's not the schools who make dodgy areas dodgy.

The only way Israel can eliminate Hamas is doing a genocide on every Palestinian, woman and child within and without Palestine. They got to murder the kids to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

Controversial opinion. I don't really care about the whole Israel/Palestinian thing.

Both side have gone so far down the rabbit hole of hate, that a state of perpetual oppression/war/terrorism is going to be the norm.

Neither side really wants peace. Both sides seem intent on committing war crime after war crime.

The only difference between the two that I can see is Israel have more and bigger guns. Give the Palestinians the same weaponry, and they'd happily wipe each other out.

Neither side seems to care for human life. I would argue that both sides have lost a significant sense of their humanity, and and both sides have become truly hateful people. As for their leaders, whether Israeli or Hamas, they only exist to punish the other, which tells a lot about the will of their people.

I don't doubt for a second that there's a significant percentage of the population of either side that simply want to live in peace. But I also believe they'd be happy to have that if it meant the genocide of the other.

And I find it hard to feel sorry or empathize with either side because of it. If they want to be that inhumane to each other, to perpetually hold each others children accountable for past grievances and be happy to slaughter each other, then I don't see why I should care for either side.

And I don't. As much as it horrifies me seeing Israeli forces blow apart Palestinians or Palestinians kidnap and murder/torture/ launch attacks against Israeli's, at the same time I've become numb to it because I know nothing will ever change, and both sides are so full of hate that it'll be the same thing over and over until one wipes out the other.

And I care for neither side or the horrors they have inflicted on them, because they're willing to do the same. And the longer they do, the more I don't care. As inhuman as that sounds, there's simply no hope there, and personally I just fell numb to it all because of it.

Post edited by randd1 on

Advertisement