Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

My citation does not attribute anything to refugees. It is a report about the terrible circumstances faced by one particular group of refugees, where some of the perpetrators are also refugees and some belong to other groups.

Do you (and others here) genuinely not see that distinction?

Let's work with a very simple example. Based on all the recent all-ireland wins, do you think Limerick people are better at hurling than other Irish people?

The report said he'd been here 3 years.

Are Romanian people still seeking asylum here? I thought that ended way back with EU enlargement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Remember Simon Harris' get tough stance of illegal immigration before the Euros/Local elections? Didn't last long did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

They are all a bunch of liars.

The Dept of Integration and/or Justice has no who is and isn't in the country. But the money keeps flowing in the right direction while the Tax payer funds every angle of it to their own future detriment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Simon Harris was never going to do anything I'm afraid. It's his own Justice Minister who is directly responsible for much of the current situation - both directly at the point of entry, and later through the rewarding of anyone who hangs around long enough with Irish citizenship. Plus Harris himself is the weakest of the recent lot of Taoiseagh we've had in decades - no mean achievement considering even his most recent 2 predecessors!

As someone said above, the media are now normalising the attacks and intimidation - enabled also in part by our weak justice system (McEntee again!) that supports a revolving door for these individuals even when they ARE prosecuted. In parallel of course the bleating about the 'Far Right' continues apace and the minimising of any details where it's not a local Irish involved.

Our country is slowly coming apart at the seams. The social contract has been shredded and it's no longer just the average taxpayer who's been taken for a mug, but Irish natives as well! Objecting to, or even just questioning, resettlement programmes in the community has become a dirty practise - bluntly lumped in with accusations of antisocial behaviour and racism or extremism by those who are either directly facilitating all this, or who are tethered to them by the incestuous relationship that exists between the political parties and those supposed to report and hold them accountable.

Add to that a growing group of opportunists making a fortune from the seemingly limitless amount of taxpayers money being thrown at this effort, and it's not at all surprising that Harris isn't going to change much - never forget that this is a guy with NO qualifications, NO experience of ANYTHING outside of the FG party, and NO influence on anyone.

It's hugely telling that far more senior people stood back or have announced their intentions to quit in the near future. Harris is merely a caretaker, a placeholder until the election, Taoiseach by "default", and it shows! I wasn't impressed by him when he first appeared in ill-fitting suits on TV years ago and he's achieved nothing to change my mind since.

The biggest issue though is the shifts in our formerly generally easy going, tolerant (or at least apathetic) and open society. The problems we're now seeing are only going to increase as they have in other countries where this experiment has been tried and failed. Those already in the system and legitimised (or on their way to such), and those already here illegally aren't going anywhere. Entire communities and towns are seeing their demographics shift rapidly and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, it's not encouraging when separate parallel communities are taking hold. Communities that may not feel any particular loyalty or obligations or even respect for/to those who accepted and welcomed them not that long ago.

Part of the blame for this is of course on the support structures of the State - but as anyone who's had the misfortune of dealing with the HSE or Welfare departments will know, this is hardly surprising or likely to change.

The ones who are and will continue to lose out are the same people expected to live with the problems and consequences of this crusade. Those expected to pay for it in taxation while simultaneously see their own needs (and those of their children) pushed down the list in favour of randomers with no ties, no loyalty or potentially even no identity to this country.

It's a country that will be unrecognisable in the years to come at the rate of change and pressure being placed upon it now. If or indeed when the next financial crunch hits we'll see the depth of it exposed rapidly - as happened before, many will simply leave and leave the rest of us holding the bag.

As that old curse goes - "May you live in interesting times!"…. Well, I fear things are going to get a LOT more 'interesting' yet, and sooner rather later! This isn't decades away, it's happening now!

All I can suggest is to use your vote wisely in the upcoming elections. Vote the issues not the individuals or the parties. Support your communities and engage in the process - be informed, make your views known and heard (peacefully and democratically obviously!), and demand accountability from your councillors and TDs on the issues that matter - and I don't mean pothole filling.

It's the only way to ensure that that same voice will still be heard in the years and decades to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That's about the size of it, funny you don't see any complaints online or anywhere from pbp, soc dems or the greens regarding the likes of this danger to women being granted bail, but mark my words they'll be first out of the traps with their po-faces, banners and candlelight vigils.... when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭whatever.

"My citation does not attribute anything to refugees . . . where some of the perpetrators are also refugees"

You are now contradicting yourself in the same sentence and paragraph.

You have also proven unequivocally the need for a zero refugee policy because of the prevalence of rape and violence amongst refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

The kids already do share their classrooms with them in at least two of those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Paddys benefits outstrip the whole EU hence the appeal.This will continue as long as the carrot Paddy offers is sufficient.

Sure where would you get what Paddy offers ?

The problem with the GE is realistically who do we vote for to bring about radical change. My options are SD, FF, FG, Green, SF otherwise it will be some random Indo who will get 400 votes.

We have no major party willing to read the room and go about reversing this madness. The govt are hell bent on increasing the population by 1m in the medium term by any means viable but with no obvious plan for housing, healthcare, prisons or other infrastructure on the scale needed. Yet if they did something abt the vast amount of vacant sites it would go some way to changing things housing wise.

I was reading on Sunday, a few schools around the country are way behind on building works, so they were promised prefabs for the short term, which haven't materialised because the company's making them were contracted to build modular homes for the asylum seekers sites.

Sweden have copped on, but it will take multiple generations to reverse

• Advertisement

And roderic promoting own door accommodation within 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There was a thread here a few years ago about prefabs and how much they cost to buy/rent. It's another cash cow for certain companies linked to politicians. Many of our schools have been clogged with prefabs for decades and yet we waste money at a staggering rate elsewhere.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No, unless one of the parents is an Irish citizen or the child is not entitled to citizenship of any other country.

Tell us again about all the Irish undocumented leaving abroad who have… "lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable"

I think that's what frightens a lot of people with these ideologies of hatred, that sooner or other it'll be turned towards them. Look what happened in the UK, when 'stop the boats' became too farcical even for the Tories, next in line was those on welfare and the homeless.

Who's next in line for those looking for scapegoats in Ireland? My guess is the LQBTQ+ communities and the disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chooey

and they likewise should be deported from where they are if they are there illegally. Just because there are Irish doing the same abroad, that does not mean that we should turn a blind eye or do nothing about our situation over here.

We don't have a serious immigration/AS/refugees issue.

We have a serious mismanagement of the overall immigration policy regardless of it's type and in particular with AS and refugees we have a total lack of political will to implement a proper policy because that means the money stops flowing in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

If you do not legally enter a country, you shouldn't be there. If you legally enter a country and commit crime, you should not be allowed stay.

Now I'll give you a slight benefit of the doubt and allow you to cry about fraud sometimes being conflated with paying the wrong fare. I am not saying people should be deported for innocently forgetting to tag onto the luas with a leap card. Honest mistakes happen. But we all know what constitutes crime. You need to take into consideration the motive, the victim and the severity of the crime.

So now your position is that people who commit crimes in countries of which they are not citizens, should be considered normal or desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Lads now can't be arsed going in through north just coming in directly at Dublin airport as there is absolutely zero consequences for arriving with no passport .We are an embarrassment of a country

I missed your edited in "Who's next in line for those looking for scapegoats in Ireland? My guess is the LQBTQ+ communities and the disabled" line.

This is a very dishonest debating tactic. Your attempting to compare people looking for a fair, safe and secure immigration policy to people who are going to target the LGBTQ+ and disabled people. With absolutely no basis to do so.

The irony being, the people who have the least tolerance for LGBTQ+ people are the people from different cultures. The people you staunchly defended because sometimes "only verbal sexual harrassment" were mixed in with the crime stats.

That is the very definition of virtue signalling, which is a phrase I hate using as it is so clichéd, but it sums up your argument perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Still beating that tired worn out old drum about Irish undocumented. Which is totally different to the chancers we have rocking up here claiming they have no documentation, I can bet that the vast majority of Irish undocumented will have entered that country with a valid passport and visa and did not try hide who they were or claim asylum under false pretenses. Also if the Irish undocumented person is caught by Immigration in that country they are deported from that country and banned from entering that country again for a number of years, here they are given a passport and told to go on your way.

Ridiculous comparison, you are grasping at straws defending this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Look at the UK, they voted for the Tories for years and when David Cameron promised them control of their borders again free from the E.U which caused the UK to make the biggest mistake in decades by voting through Brexit.. and look at them now, a new Government, the Tories wiped out 8 years later and the boats keep on coming, 100's a day.

So no matter who you vote for in Ireland, FFFG, SF, Labour… the migrants will still come over the border knocking on the IPAS office in Mount Street.

With the current way the migration issue is running in Ireland, you could say we don't have an "Asylum" system in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You can talk nonsense about undocumented Irish all you want but the countries they are entering aren't handing them a weekly payment and a nice modular home worth 200k. It's not comparable.

Look I've no problem at all with the Irish living undocumented. In fact I recognize what the remittances they and other Irish emigrants sent home did to keep this country going in very hard times.

It's another poster here who thinks they are 'degenerates' who 'lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable'.

I'm not too sure that people coming here without documents are breaking laws. I strongly suspect those convictions will be overturned in time and we'll end up paying compensation to those now imprisoned. Maybe I'm missing some legal nuance here but I really can't understand how something can be legal and illegal at the same time.

The problem I see with bandying about terms like 'degenerates' and 'bogus' is that some people will use the terms to describe all IPAs or Irish emigrants. Others might only mean them for specific subgroups, ie those that meet some condition, not having certain documentation or only those from particular countries, but used carelessly they all feed the same hateful narrative.

I don't think it's just me who sees the relationship between those involved with spreading anti-immigration hate and homophopic and transphopic hate.

https://edmohub.ie/index.php/profile-of-anti-immigration-parties/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41405723.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41190085.html

https://journals-sagepub-com.dcu.idm.oclc.org/doi/10.1177/02610183211063402

As for the turning on the disabled if you go back a few pages you'll see posters here defending referring to people on disability benefits as 'scammers' etc, as they do with IPAs.

Of course I appreciate there are those within the anti-immigration movement who would find such views as abhorrent as the rest of us but clearly there are those who also wish to spread hate towards the LGBTQ and disabled communities.

At this stage, you are trying to paint those who have a different opinion as you with the oft-used "far-right" stereotype. It's (and I hate to be repetative) dishonest and frankly a little boring.

It pretty much is trying to label anyone who has an issue with immigration as "in-bed" with racists, homophobes and bigots, in order to hope they don't voice their concerns in an attempt to avoid being found guilty by association.

It's having the opposite effect though as people are getting tired of being told they are something they aren't, by pandering clout-chasing, virtue signalling (ugh, I said it again) liars.

As I've said before I don't think too much in terms of what political affiliations people claim. Whether people call themselves nationalists, far-right, community protestors etc is much of a muchness really.

The common-denominator that I see is the use of hateful rhetoric.

Whether that's yourself describing the Irish undocumented abroad as 'degenerates' that have 'lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable', or claiming that 'the people who have the least tolerance for LGBTQ+ people are the people from different cultures', or other posters using terms like 'bogus' and 'scammers' to refer to IPAs, there's a clear and obvious common message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/08/21/its-not-fair-to-call-those-concerned-about-uncontrolled-immigration-far-right/

It is idle to debate whether “Ireland is full” – whatever that is supposed to mean. But it is by no means idle to acknowledge the obvious, glaring truth that Ireland is in no position in the middle of a massive housing shortage to add to that crisis by accepting 25,000 homeless migrants claiming asylum every year who are legally entitled to State-provided shelter.

It's scary how McDowell seems to be one of the few that actually gets this, and is willing to speak up on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chooey

• Advertisement

It is not hateful to say that people who are in our country who commit crimes are not morally desirable to the majority of the public. It's odd that you keep repeating that I said that as if it is a controversial opinion.

And, for clarity, it is not my "claim" that people from different cultures have a very different opinion on homosexuality. It is well known that Ireland has a much more accepting attitude than people coming from starkly different cultures. If you are going to deny that, then please, lets not engage again.

And yes, there is a clear and consistant message emerging; we have had enough. we need a better immigration system, we need to get our own house in order before we can fix others.

Despite what people who think like you say, it's not hate to want stability.

Advertisement