Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭ekkinak

pray tell, I know their sister is mentioned in the lyrics, what's the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It was written about his sister who died in a dance hall, she had a weak heart. Was on holiday back home at the time, she lived in Canada. I believe she gave him his first instrument as a birthday gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not just the weekend schedule but the same applies to the weekday programming.

The automation software appears to run separate to the live / voice tracked shows.

No one appears to check the automated playout ,high repetition and at the same time bizarre randomness are the result. If Gold was a commercial station this would not be the case.

Re Toto -Africa , this was on high rotation in the '80s as was Rosanna which doesn't get played as often these days.

Kinks - Come Dancing was a huge airplay hit in the '80s so completely appropriate to Gold (though prefer Waterloo Sunset myself)

FordFiesta - CDs were a godsend when compared to vinyl and carts !! , the 90s was still very focused on 'hot hits ' or 'Gold' ,both formats excluding 80s at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭GSF

https://x.com/goldenyearsdj/status/1826957272779501926?s=46&t=ogksYpKYG-Q4BQKxlwG2Oginteresting idea

Top Of The Flops.
    On this weeks Golden Years...
    One hour of music that never reached the Irish or UK top 40.
    Sunday at 5pm, @RTEGold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭GSF

Brown Eyed Girl never charted in the U.K. did it? Not sure about Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭ekkinak

pulling mussels from the shell by squeeze only got to 44 in UK. Must have got good airplay in Ireland cos I remember it well (1980). No record of it on Larry Gogan’s Irish charts website. I think the top of the pops and weekly music press strike of that summer may have affected things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of songs that are regularly played to death on Irish and UK radio that never made the UK Top 40 / Irish Top 30, or indeed did not chart at all (outside of the BBC R1 or 2FM countdowns).

The one that always comes to mind is Bryan Adams Summer of 69 that made only #42 in the UK, but made #18 in Ireland in 1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭TheBMG

The 80s super pirates played a lot of US stuff that never did much in the UK.

Key Largo by Bertie Higgins. The Flame by Cheap Trick comes to mind too

Advertisement