Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSE Energy Solutions

• 20-08-2024 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭

First charge hub (8 X CCS, 2 X Chademo) from energy supplier SSE Energy Solutions opens today (20/08/2024) at Lough Sheever Corporate Park near Mullingar

Activation of the chargers and payment seems to be via the app which shows a price per kWh of £0.69 (~€0.80)

https://www.plugshare.com/location/455013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No one will use it at that price unless towing. CircleK on the bypass is both faster and cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Completely pointless at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Very pricey,just got ev,put 55kwkh into it for a grand total of 6.87e ,home charging is unbeatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah home charging will always be cheaper than on the road charging, a good rule of thumb I find is 3kWh should cost less than 1L of ICE fuel although there can be variation

The price they are charging is the equivalent of €2.40/L if ICE fuel

Exactly. I know the aim for the hub in mullingar is commercial vehicles more than private cars but I can't see this hub being a success sadly. Lough Sheever hub is well off the N4 so the likely users commercial and private will have to divert into mullingar.

EVs owners I've found are surprisingly, or maybe unsurprisingly price sensitive when they are presented with a choice. Say at portlaoise midway, the ESB chargers are always preferentially chosen over applegreen. It's the same at Fermoy, ESB at inver is always in my experience more busy than circle K and that even requires a small diversion.

If they'd built that hub down the road at say at Longford where there are currently no chargers >50kw then they'd have something of a captive market for north mayo and sligo. They could charge what they like really there.

I doubt more than single figure number of vehicles will use the hub on a daily basis. A ten bay hub would need at least more than five simultaneous vehicles for substantial parts of the day to make sense.

Given it's location requiring a diversion 55c/kwh is where pricing needs to be imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Maybe company car drivers won’t care once someone else is paying ? Little chance of having to queue at those rates.

Not sure how commercial vehicles will benefit from the higher price over non-commercial. They'd save the VAT which would make it 65c/kWh but they'd do that on all chargers one would imagine?

The pull through chargers are designed for e-hgvs. Maybe they are planning commercial partnerships but on price as indicated at the moment they aren't competitive for commercial either

They would but a) commercial drivers may have a company issued card or rfid for charging so are not price sensitive and/or b) would pay the increased price for lack of queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭CivilEx

It's free vend - no charge at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

Solar canopy, 2 x Chademo cables, 8 x CCS cables 150kW headline rate, charging bays for trailers or hgv or caravans.

Its free today, but I think main issues are location and the fact that 99.9% of EV drivers won't know they exist and will queue at other nearby sites. Price is a factor too, but personally at this point in time I value availability and multi charger sites over cost.

SSE will open further hubs at Blanchardstown Business Park and the Greenogue Industrial Estate in Dublin and at the Ashbourne Retail Park, Co Meath, in the coming months.

I assume no food offering too? Touch to pay by card? No toilets?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/455013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I charged there earlier. There are no services on site (not today anyway) and nothing within walking distance either. The site itself has plenty of space, pull through charging bays for those with trailers, cable lengths are good and even though it's not adjacent to the N4, I'm glad to see multiple charger sites like this being built. 3 minutes extra of driving is better than a queue any day.

Post edited by CivilEx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Great to see a site catering to trailers or trucks, but the lack of services isn't great

I wouldn't be too happy hanging around there at night with nothing around there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Independent drivers would probably be price sensitive, but they're probably not buying electric trucks yet

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few corporate discounts offered for larger operators

If SSE were being clever they'd partner with a leasing company to offer discounted charging to anyone who leases a commercial EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do SSE need to be clever here? Most CPOs are still charging 65c-70c… All they need to do is match that and they'll get the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Someone will probably move in with an old horsebox selling overpriced tea and coffee to a captive audience if the place takes off.

They are a good bit off the beaten track, down at the arse end of an industrial estate so they need to have a draw.

While no queues and long cables are one draw, EV drivers I've noticed tend to choose speed of charger over price and price over queues. It's illogical I know but for example:

At cashel, Ionity will be busy but the ESB charger will be free. At fermoy, there will be a queue at inver but CircleK, closer to the motorway will be free, and midway there will be a queue at ESB but applegreen will be free.

They will need to be a bit cheaper than the competition and they will need signage on the bypass to let people know it's there.

• Advertisement

Ionity can be as low as 42c/kWh for somebody with a subscription, this means a faster speed and a cheaper charge than the ESB 50kW charger at Cashel. In both of your other examples people will choose price, but also, the ESB chargers are not much further from the motorway at midway so not much in it and in Fermoy by going through the town you also avoid the toll booth, hilbillys is also at the Inver there, so there's a double saving and potentially a preferential food offering.

I think we can agree though that price is a factor. A sign on the bypass displaying their (significantly cheaper) price would be a major benefit

Another small benefit with Ionity and ESB over Circle K is you can see on a web browser or mobile app if there is a free charger before you arrive, this gives confidence to many that they won't be queuing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would the turnover be enough ? Wouldn’t be more than 15 cars per hour.

Stick in vending machines.

That;s an interesting observation. It doesn't tie in with my observations around dublin, meath and wexford though. Perhaps it's different in different places. There are often queues for the ecars 50kW at gorey, while the 4 (now 6) ionity chargers are available. Cashel is an oddball location, been there many times over the years and I hate the place.

Personally, I would pay more to avoid queues and also pay more for speed. So if there's a queue at a free vend 350kW and an available Ionity 350kW, I'll pay for the ionity. If there's a price delta for 50-150-350kW increasing speeds then I'll pay for the max of what my car can take.

The SSE place should have been cheaper as its their first site in ROI market located in the back arse of nowhere and it would do them good to get the name out. Like Ionity did with the 8 quid one fee.

In all of the above examples the only place where queuing is likely is Cashel. Never had to queue at any of my other examples. Important to note also that you have Balcolla and Fermoy not massively far away from Cashel

Generally I would also pay more to avoid queues but it would also depend on the length of the queue. As an example there are 4 charging locations in Dungarvan, Co Waterford.

One location has 2 x easygo and 1 x ESB side by side, all 50kW but I think the easygo ones share as they usually cap out at 25kW for me. If the queue for the ESB ones wasn't too long and if I wasn't in a rush I'd join because it's 70c at the in easygo stations

2 of the other locations are easygo single chargers so I usually avoid due to the SPOF rule and they're 70c

The final location is a 4 charger circle k, which if I'm stuck I'll head to

Yeah, I mentioned commercial because SSE seems to be aiming for commercial customers given the location and layout of their sites

It would be good to offer a discount or subscription to residential customers as well. They could do a spot price deal where the price updates every 30 mins. That would be handy for people who live in the area to grab some electricity when it's cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Not much down that end of the estate alright, you'd probably walk back to the Centra/Texaco in about 10mins if you wanted to keep your steps up. And there are plenty of main dealers in that estate if you wanted to peruse your potential next purchase. 😂🤣

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

Was free for first week, now 65c/kWh

Not bad, still a bit high but going in the right direction. Not sure if the price is enough motivation to skip the Circle K and save €3 on a 60kWh fill

I've known people who will drive 20 mins out of their way to save less than €5 on petrol (full disclosure, that was me 😅)

So I can guarantee it'll get some use

This is where decent motorway signage would make life easier. If there was a sign up before the Circle K with a live display if the number of free chargers then it'd be easy to spot if it was worth pushing on to Lough Sheever

Yes I know there's an app but checking your phone while driving is a bad idea

• Advertisement

That is the other thing, availability of chargers somebody queuing to plug in at the CK might check their phone and see 10 free chargers 5 minutes away

Or somebody towing something might see the benefit of adding a few minutes to the trip so they don't have to detach, the cheaper price is just another benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Going through the town of Fermoy to avoid the toll is a ball ache. Traffic levels are higher now than they were pre motorway.

You could easily add 20-30 mins to your journey just to "save" €2.30.

There was a discussion on the France thread about how during a busy weekend recently several hubs had queues while others were empty

If I had one fault around EV driving it's about finding decent charging hubs. It's often a case that you'll have a charging app which only shows the chargers in it's network and not others, so you might not even be aware there's another hub less than an hour away

This leads to a sunk cost fallacy where people queue for a hub they know about and won't keep moving because they don't want to risk losing time

Apps like Plugshare are good but you're dependent on the community to maintain them. I've noticed in France this is hit and miss at best

In any case, I don't think apps are the way to go since that encourages phone use while driving

Using the in car satnav is a good option but again you need it to know where the chargers are. My ID.4 for example doesn't know about any Circle K chargers so won't use them for route planning

That's why I think simple motorway signs are the best option. Just a display with something like "EV charging ahead, up to 150kW, 6 available, 4 unavailable, €0.65/kWh, next hub 50km" tells you everything you need to know. There's already similar signs showing the fuel prices on the M1 so it should be possible

Advertisement