Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LSL to charge for the App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I woukd imagine the premium/annual package woukd stay in place, however it may okay not increase in price. I think it's slightly less than 100 yoyo's

Slava Ukrainii

In every other auction situation with farming both buyer and sell pay a fee (machinery auctions, entitlement sales, farm clearances as well as marts) this in a way regularise online bidding. The view only option is for sellers if they so choose to use the facility. The more expensive option is for buyers who view and bid.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭minerleague

Marts are paying these companies at present so presumably that cost is passed on in commission to buyers and sellers, if farmers are paying directly for the service will the commission drop in price? ( I already know the answer! ) I remember a time when the vet would put on brass tags (and do the TB test) for free too, all these costs are small in themselves but they don't be long adding up.

As for sharing a subscription I'd imagine they will close off that soon enough if it became widespread

Very hard to prevent LSL app sharing as most sharing would be using phone only, it like sharing wheelie bins impossible to prevent.

TBH mart commission prices for buyers have not risen significantly in a while. It's around ten Inc or plus vat in most places. I think sellers commission vary's more. Costs always increase and you just have to adapt.

I buy the indo online it's 138 euro, got the Sunday Times for a five for 12 months. Disney X went up by 20-30 euro in the last 12 months. HiweI do not buy sky. I pay for Disney X, daughter pays for Netflixs, one ifvtge lads pay for Spotify and the other lad pays for GAA go

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭minerleague

Maybe sharing just to view would be hard to stop, but buying could be linked straight to herd number. Was always going to happen, like sky sports/ herdwatch etc giving free subs to get you in and then you can't do without! Everything ( milking robots/cow collar health systems etc ) seems to come with ongoing " revenue streams" nowadays. Don't buy a lot here and usually only 1 mart so wont be paying up yet anyway

• Advertisement

Marts can and will not share data regarding purchase with LSL. LSL is only a bidding platform technically they do not need your herd number as marts register you directly, generally you must ring them directly. Msrts do not put cattle i to a herd number until you have paid up. As well dealers may have multiple customes so it none of LSL business, they may try to poli e it but unlikely as majority will just do there own thing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭emaherx

Of course most of the services you listed have on going subscriptions, they wouldn't last long if they didn't, servers cost money to run, somebody has to pay.

LSL want it all though, paid by mart, paid by farmer and I see there is some advertisements in the app too. I think they should have sold more advertising space with an option to subscribe to loose the advertisements.

They said they were in talks with the marts prior to the decision obviously the marts didn't want to pay more for the service either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah...I only use it occasionally, didn't realise they had advertising...I was just thinking...maybe a free tier to view with advertising would be more of an earner for them...then a small commission or small fee if you buy on the platform...deposit to be put down in advance of bidding etc

There must be large enough numbers tuning in...you'd imagine advertising could be lucrative as time goes by

That would load all.cost on to buyers, however sellers and others use it for viewing and gathering price information as well. There is no free lunch.

Advertising income is limited as a buyer similar to use I was not aware of adverts tgat tells a story

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Not true, it's very easy to prevent app sharing, that ability has existed with a good while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, I think €50 isn't the worst value for viewing for the year. It's taxable as well. I only ever sell but it's a fantastic service to check in on a mart for a half hour to keep an eye on prices.

I missed the last lot of calves being sold back in April but I was able to go back to their lot number, it had the price they sold for and a picture of the board with their weight etc. Knew then before the mart person rang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I see Kilsaran have moved their annual heifer sale from LSL in Carnaross to Mart Eye in Ballyjamesduff.. I would guess that's to do with cost and commission charged.

It is by definition the worst value as long as other operators are free though.

MartEye posted this on Facebook, I have doubts about recent claims of MartEye being controlled by the same people as LSL.

Looks like €5 a month / €50 a year euro to bid now? They must be feeling some backlash.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/lsl-auctions-makes-changes-to-farmer-membership-fee-options/

Post edited by emaherx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Having access to only 1/3 of the marts is a major issue. I had a quick look at their herd app and it looks crap.

This is a very tricky time now for LSL. They are really backed into a corner now. If the other 2 platforms hold the line of no charge they could force LSL to fold or drop the sub model. It seems that they are in need of cash. They options they have are either charge the marts or charge the farmer. The marts are a limited pool in numbers and charging the farmer has seemed to backfire.

It a real crux for them in the next 2 months. Will sufficient farmers sign up, if not will Marts stay with LSL. I would think the other 2 are putting the feelers out to LSL marts at the moment to coax a changeover of platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,852 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

To be fair to LSL their cameras are far better than the Martbids and Marteye. I was watching Roscrea mart there recently on Martbids and I could hardly see anything.

A company can't be run at a loss, but it shouldn't have a monopoly either.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Cameras are all the same and belong to the mart. It probably the quality of the feed. However the quality of the Cameras can vary and there positioning is important. As well its important that the ring man moves them arounds. The lad Mauty has is the best in the country. I would say he must put up 50k+ steps on a mart day

Slava Ukrainii

AgriCam seem to provide the camera's for LSL and MartEye.

No they can't be expected to run at a loss but not sure they thought out the subscriptions fully either and are now already backpedaling. They are now trying to throw in the herd software as a sweetener, but it is poor in comparison to any of the competition and staffing a support line for herd software could well be a hole where money is being lost, might be some chance if it were developed to the same level as the other providers in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭alps

Imagine if Boards.ie introduced a subscription?

I'll get my coat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

They have one (or at least had one), if you paid it, there were no ads in feeds and some other perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WoozieWu

Bad internet in Roscrea mart

Its nice to be able to look back at the prices lots make on Marteye

The lad behind LSL is just greedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's nice and handt to be able to look back at the video's on LSL. I've previously had issues with animals that we bought online where it wasn't announced in two cases they were freemartins and in another case a cull cow was sold before the withdrawal date for antibiotics.

Edit to add - neither of the freemartins were registered as "multiple" births on Agfood.

I didn't know you had to announce a heifer as a freemartin if you were just selling her as a maiden heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭grass10

You don't have to announce them as freemartins unless they're selling in a breeding sale but the correct thing to do at all times is announce them as freemartins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Decent thing to do regardless of the type of sale. It's only happened a couple of times for us. Just told the auctioneer that she's not suitable for breeding and he'd announce it.

@funkey_monkey & @grass10 would heard it with Fr heifers in the calf ring but don’t recall hearing it in a maiden heifer sale. You would hear some sold as correct & right for breeding. The few I have had I beefed after trying to see would the hold the bull first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The mart that I bought them through still has a sign on the wall which included similar words "Heifers are considered correct and right for breeding"

AFAIK, the cull cow ring is the only ring that you don't have any comeback with regards to them been in calf/or not, potential breeding etc except for antibiotic withdrawals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Was the cow not announced as being under withdrawal or how did you find it out after? I've often heard it announced at time of sale that there under withdrawal until X date but I don't know if that covers you either if it came down to it. My understanding is that you're not supposed to sell anything that's under withdrawal full stop but I've never seen it to be pursued.

As for the cull cow ring and warranties it seems to vary from mart to mart. In some marts all culls are sold as seen and that's it unless specifically stated otherwise at time of sale. In other marts you'll frequently hear cows announced as "running with the bull" so it can vary. In any of the marts I work in we'll put any animal with a physical issue through the cull ring, there usually announced as lame or whatever at the point of sale and sold as seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭V6400

Anything that goes through any heifer or heifer weanling ring are assumed not in calf but suitable for breeding unless announced otherwise. Any heifer that turns out in calf or not suitable for breeding for any reason other than one which could not be known by the farmer the farmer is liable for.

Advertisement