Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

1138139140141142144»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm not sure what you're both discussing, but the current P&R proposal is a surface car park at North Esk, feeding a train station there. I'm saying put the parking at Little Island and develop North Esk as an office-type employment area like Eastgate. It'd be connected by "greenway" (let's not discuss the shambolic design).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Most of the North Esk industrial area is privately operated. The stacks of containers you see by the railway are not CIÉ’s business, but in an inland container terminal operated by Cosgrave Transport. P+R is all that’s possible in the space available at North Esk. I also think that a diversion to a P+R site at Little Island would be too far for traffic arriving from M8.

Tenants of any office development so far outside of the city would insist on having car-parking spaces (see EastGate), and that would eat up the available land. I think it’s better to put office developments at Kent Station, and use these outer areas as P+R locations.

I think the P&R at North Esk is already far too far from the M8 to be of any real value. It'll only really be useful for people coming from the East. Almost nobody is coming down the M8 and going in to Tivoli now, they're all exiting at Killalough and Watergrasshill and rat running through the Northside. I see almost no value in another car park 1km away from Little Island station car park.

I'd agree that tenants of office developments outside the city want parking spaces, but they're already being refused them: see the unfortunately-named Parkplace in Eastgate! I definitely agree that it's better to encourage offices at Kent in fairness, I just don't see the value in a P&R so close to Little Island and so far from the M8. I'd sooner see one at the other side of the Interchange at the Tivoli Crosbie Transcar holding lot: it could double up as a station for the future development of the lands there. With loads of spaces free in Little Island every day I'd say of all the proposed stations in the Cork area, the North Esk one looks like one of the least useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Personally not sure which is the best location for P&R. But years after a number ringing the city were proposed, we still only one. And that one is more expensive than parking for an hour in town which seems totally counterproductive to me.

There was supposed to be one in Dunkettle, one in the Northside, one in Ballincollig direction I think? They really need to be just done - and like I said, charge a euro a a car so that it is cheaper than parking in town for an hour. Right now, Black Ash is really biased towards day long parking which isn't helping traffic in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

I think charging anything to use a P&R car park is a mistake. The recurring costs of running a car park with no tolling infrastructure are negligible, so there isn’t a whole lot to be covered, and any deterrent can have a significant effect on uptake.

• Financial: Even €1 a day adds up over a 46-week work year. It’s €230 after tax but if your marginal rate is 42% that’s approx €460 a year out of your salary when USC and PRSI are factored in.
    • Convenience: Sure, we should all be chill Zen monks during rush hour, but nobody wants to queue at a barrier to get in or out of a car park, nor do they want to stand in the rain at a pay+display machine.

And any loss in revenue for Ireland Inc from not charging for the P of P&R has to be offset against the reduction in costs associated with having fewer private vehicles on our streets.

FWIW, if I was responsible for transport, I wouldn’t even be charging for the R of P&R but I know that is a bridge too far for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Agreed. Encourage people to use it. Either way, right now a fiver for Black Ash is just stupid. If I need to do something in town that is going to take an hour, on street parking is half the price of Black Ash. That makes no sense....

The problem with P&R, and likely the reason they've been put on the long-finger is because the second someone gets into a car they're less likely to use public transport. While all of us who drive already think that a P&R is great, the top priority is retaining the people who already use public transport: trying to get them to not buy a car.

That's again why I favour putting money into Tivoli or Little Island rather than North Esk. At both, station upgrades can make the station valuable for both P&R and non-car users.

One place where I really strongly favour a P&R though is Blarney. And a small station in Blackpool. But these will probably only start when the passing loop in Kent is done.

A P&R at Ballincollig or Glanmire would see bus passengers stuck in traffic behind cars unfortunately, so we desperately need bus priority to get full value out of them. The one at black ash works because the bus usually isn't badly held up too badly by traffic.

Anyway just keeping it on-topic, I don't see P&R as being a high priority for Dunkettle/North Esk

Actually on the topic of North Esk, it might be a better use of the space to make it the location of IÉ engineering and maintenance works, and move all of the engineering and maintenance out of Kent. I know the track through Tivoli is congested but that land at Kent is unbelievably valuable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On the tunnel , I don't think the tunnel is the problem , it's the multiple merges just before the tunnel , ( heading south ..) pre summer In the mornings I the was going from bumper to bumper traffic on the approach to traffic starting to stretch out a bit in the tunnel , unless of course there was a crash on the n40 ,

The dunkettle interchange is the biggest traffic interchange in cork , that it was built without any thought to public transport is a bit bonkers,

So a ,city centre, ballincolig, CUH,UCC,CIT, quality rail service will make the midleton ,cobh and mallow services far more useful ,

Kind of need an effective south ring bus service too , basically dunkettle to bandon road , fast frequent,and connected to as many other transport routes as possible..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We were discussing this at work the other day. Two of us out of an office of three working in Wilton would at least try the public transport option if the links between the railway station and Wilton were better. The 208, the sensible option requires climbing a long flight of very dodgy and antisocial stairs to get to the bus stop so is out. The 205 doesn't take you to the right spot and the 214 goes halfway to Bandon.

The Cork Luas will connect the station to Wilton properly, and is an integral part of any public transport solution but seems to be mired in early stage pissing and moaning.

Post edited by Chris_5339762 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

214 runs from the station to CUH these days, but 214 is not a frequent, or particularly punctual, service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭niloc1951

One of the issues contributing to the tailbacks on Link K is the slow movement if traffic after the 3 into 1 merge.

While the speed limit is 60km/h, which I know is not a target, many negotiate the link's tail at something like 30 or 40 km/h. The unnecessarily slow clearance after the merge points only aggravates the extent of the queueing on Link K and demonstrates the pi$$ poor driving ability of so many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Corrected my post. I meant the 214 goes halfway to Bandon, not the 208. The route of the 214 is absolutely ridiculous. Busconnects will help with that, if the whingers would go away.

Advertisement