Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Room Thermostats Analog to Digital

• 18-08-2024 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking to upgrade the two Imit analog room thermostats in my house to something digital, more modern, accurate and tidy looking.

As I understand it, I need line voltage thermostats, although it would be helpful if someone could confirm from the attached photos? Looks to be high voltage with no C wire.

Any recommendations for replacements that would be a straight swap?

Monthly subscription fees are a definitive no. Wifi connectivity is not something I need, but no problem if the units themselves require it to function. Likewise I see no benefit to a control app. It just needs to accurately display the temp and have a +/- to adjust.

The heating system is a new oil boiler, zoned for upstairs/downstairs/HW with an EPH programmable control unit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Demosthenes

Photos added

I've decided to go with the Honeywell DT40BT22, looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, straight swap no-nonsense upgrade

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Honeywell are a good brand, I'm sure you will be happy with them. These have some nice functions, they will look smarter and can display the current temperature. However there is nothing to suggest that they will be more accurate than what you have.

If you wanted to add app control without subscription I would suggest adding Sonoff or similar Wi-Fi enabled smart switch in addition to these stats. It's a cheap addition (around €25) and very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

Don't the room stats with a neutral work better

I can't remember the details of the why

From reading up online the general consensus seems to be the digital ones would be in around +/-1deg, assuming they have been correctly calibrated, while the mechanical ones could be off by as much as +/-10 deg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

there are two issues here: the first is the accuracy of the unit against a reference temperature

As 2011 says, for accuracy, I don't think a 50 dollar mass produced unit will be +/- 1

The other point is that the actual temp and the accuracy of the temp at wall stat is largely irrelevant as its the temp that folk feel when sitting in the room is what matters, for older folk I use a large garden thermometer which I place beside their chair to see what they need at the chair and set the wall stat to deliver that.

Then the kids/grand kids come in and see the stat at say 30 and say, grandad, thats too high and turn it down!

The second issue is what is the gap between the upper and lower set points, so in a heating system,

it closes the circuit, fires the boiler, at 18 and opens at say 21

The mechanical ones, by the nature of the bimetal stat, would have a wider set point gap and therefore there would be less on/off cycling of the boiler.

A set point gap of 1 will be a nightmare for cycling.

What's the set point gap on the kit you bought, I dont see it listed.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

Generally a thermostat get installed, it’s adjusted a few times then it’s left alone.

More important than the accuracy is the repeatability (this is all about the consistency of the switching) which tends to be very good with the mechanical type.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Don't bother.

You are simply renovating old tech.

Do a full digital system (individual rad control)and save yourself cash in the long term.

Controling zones instead of individual radiators is Flintstone technology.

You would need to expand on and backup those statements to be taken seriously

TRVs or wall stats controlling individual rads is still a zonal system anyway

The rad or room is the zone

The same way 20 years ago when I was wiring programmable stats in every room for UFH loops. Each room was a zone.

Usually when I hear the phrase "digital system" i think waffle as digital can simply mean a digital display for example

Has it been established that digital wall stats are better than analog stats, I don't believe it has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭John.G

They have a neutral because some have a "antisipator" heating element around/near the bi metal strip to reduce the stat hysteresis which any digital stat does not require, the digital stat is a very big improvement in the switching hysteresis, I have a basic Fantiniosmi digital stat controlling a combined dining/sitting room, 2 rads, the remaing 8 rads are basic TRV controlled, the digital stat controlles the two rooms to within + or - 0.2C of setpoint, the other stats (were) ~ to + or - 1.5C., these had no anticipator to reduce this hysteresis/differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Not sure why you are being unnecessarly disagreeable and pernickety here?

I'll spell out what is obvious.

"Gross" zone heating design championed in the 80's consisting of upstairs-downstairs-Hot water zones c/w static TRVs might have been cutting edge and have had value where heating systems were cheap and energy cheaper, but those days are gone.

Technology has rapidly progressed, boilers are far more complex and energy much more expensive.

Wasting energy and boiler hours heating rooms, zones, radiators not in use is untenable now.

You can't give whatever name you want to modern heating systems, i care not but "Digital" is as good as any.

Most modern boilers are high efficiency and capable of modulation, meaning that the old inefficiency of the on-off boiler no longer hobbles the approach to low load heating (single rads vs a full zone).

Wiser is as good an example of a fully digital system. Easy to switch the old inefficient and inflexible 2-3 zone S-plan to something much more granular and controllable.

Replace the controller, add the trv heads to each rad, add a room stat to main rooms as/if required and you are good to go in the 21st century.

You can heat individual rads, rooms, zones as requested and at the press of a app.

Not difficult. Saves money and works perfectly.

No brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re honeywell and quality, we got (for free!) a full honeywell system installed 10 years ago - in that ten years, we can't fault them on reliability; we've had two of the TRVs fail, but one of those was physically damaged by us so that doesn't count.

Im not saying btw that zoning rooms shouldn't be done . I don't think you've you've made the case that it needs to be done assuming a 3-bed or similar

It may be that there is no unoccupied rooms in both zones or it may be undesirable to leave a room unheated

2 zones plus h/w may be sufficient

Post edited by drury.. on

Advertisement