Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky WiFi vs Virgin WiFi

• 20-08-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I have been a long time customer of Virgin on a 500mb line which I had absolutely no issues, in fact it was fantastic.

Unfortunately I got greedy and could not decline the 1GB for 30 euro a month that Sky was offering so made the big switch

This has not quite worked the way I would have hoped. Here is the breakdown:

Hardwired is perfect, getting about 900mbs but once you switch to Wifi, the problems start.

Hovering the device over the router I get about 500mbs on a good day which is acceptable even though I got this on Virgin or slightly less at about 450mbs.

Once I go even to the other corner of the room, it drops to 200mbs and even worse go upstairs where I get less the 100mbs. Whereas on Virgin in the same locations I got over 200mbs anywhere in the house on the supposedly inferior connection

This is all on the 5G connection, the 2G connection gives about 20 to 50mbs so do not even bother with this.

Saying all that, is Sky known for their poor wireless signals or do I have an issue with the router? Sky are saying everything is perfect as I am getting such high speeds hard wired. What can I do here? Is it best to get a third party router to try get better signal throughout the house?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Your post is a little confusing. In the speeds, are you referring to bits or bytes? Bear in mind 1 Gigabit means a download rate of about 128 Megabytes per second.

When you say its on 5G, I assume you mean the wifi is 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz. 5G is the name for wireless broadband, not WiFi.

The router you tend to get with these package deals are often cheap and cheerful, and your mileage may vary. There are lots of posts on the internet about sky routers being slow, so that could well be your issue.

Do you still have the virgin router? I wonder, if the speed to the Sky router is fine, could the virgin router be reconfigured to be a wireless to ethernet bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ballboy

Thanks for your reply, sorry I am not a huge tech whizz so I understand the confusion!

So the download rates are megabytes per second and the 5G means the 5Ghz, you are correct :)

Yes actually I still have the virgin router so might look into that but I think it is the old white one so might not be compatible with the 1Gigabit speeds?

I was looking at something like this that I presume would be compatible with Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You won't be able to use the Virgin Media router as its a Cable Modem/Router which uses a coax connection for its WAN port rather than the RJ45 that the Sky router uses.

That TP-Link should work, you'll need to set the connection type as PPOE, VLAN 10, username - anything@skydsl and password - anything

You won't be able to use the Virgin Media router as its a Cable Modem/Router which uses a coax connection for its WAN port rather than the RJ45 that the Sky router uses.

I know that. I meant retain the Sky router, but use the virgin media router for its WiFI capabilities. But a better router would be the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ballboy

Perfect thanks folks, I'll do a bit of research on how to go about using the virgin router with the sky broadband!

I moved an Xbox downstairs to the same room as the router, had the same awful speeds via wifi but hard wired it in and getting perfect speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

Is it possible to put a Sky router in bridge mode does anyone know?

I'm with Virgin now & happy enough as I can put their modem in bridge mode and then I just use a NetGear router.

Would that be an option for the OP?

According to this thread:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Set-Router-to-Bridge-Mode/td-p/4107131

Sky routers do not have that option, so the OP will need to get a better router, and use the details provided already here.

Advertisement