Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,731 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AC/DC in Croke Park Saturday night, amazing gig truly legends of Rock

Next up is finally blnk 182 in Kilmainham on the 27th

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A few more from Croke Park on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Electric Picnic was fantastic. Next up, PJ Harvey on Thursday night.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Meatbodies very good indeed in the Workmans Cellar tonight. Last played here in 2016 and i think they probably pulled a bigger crowd tonight, pretty decent turnout i thought. If you like Ty Segall, Fuzz, Oh Sees, early Wand and King Gizz you'd enjoy this. An 80 minute set of fuzzed out riffs, garage punkers, BJM jangle and Spacemen 3-type droning guitar by an on-point 3-piece. Plenty of bounce in their tunes, heavy-ish but not punishing, quite catchy really. Finished with an unplanned encore of, i think, 'Mountain' that was stretched out to 10 minutes and veered into Allman Brothers / Grateful Dead territory at one point. Marvellous.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Yeah looking forward to this….Weather doesn't look great. Staying over the night, love Belfast

• Advertisement

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Yeah was at the first night there. Her setlist looks pretty much the same, new album in fun and then second half the rest of her stuff without much change from that gig with songs. Be quality regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

Anyone heading to night 1 of Magnetic Fields. I can only make tomorrow. Missing a few gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I can't go now! I've got the lurgy. Feeling like absolute shíte!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yeah. Loved it

My review:

Stupendously beautiful love song

Respectful applause from an awed crowd thankful for the last 25 years of this album.

x17

Intermission

Stupendously beautiful love song

Respectful applause from an awed crowd thankful for the last 25 years of this album.

x18

Same again tonight.

Think they started at 8.05pm. Interval was after "Parades Go By". Second set ended with "Promises of Eternity".

That was lovely, there's a bit more filler on the last disc but even hearing experimental music love live was great.

The well timed disco ball made my night.

Shatter the highlight for me. Meaningless...

Great to see Stephin in such good form. Not always the case.

Shatter was superb. Thought the sound was slightly iffy at the beginning of last night. It improved somewhat.

Awful buzz off the guitar during some tracks also. Maybe just me.

Yeah, there was some issues with the keyboards as well, but didnt ruin anything for me really. First night better, just a more consistently brilliant set of songs compared to the back half of the album. Life is too short not to see them play.

Agreed. That opening salvo is so good. Was agog for first hour.

Found my focus drifting a little on the final 1/4 of the record last night however.

SM in brilliant form last night tho. He seemed a little perturbed on Wednesday by comparison. Walking straight off stage etc.

It does end on a down-note due to the nature of the album. Ideally would have some kind of crescendo. That said you had Papa was a Rodeo, Epitaph, Meaningless, Yeah oh Yeah, Long forgotten fairytale, Shatter, The way you say goodnight…etc… Can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pokey Lafarge at a packed Opium on Wednesday - the guy is some energetic performer, no wonder he's so skinny.

I hadn't really kept up with his stuff since his first couple of records but the whole set was excellent, and his band were **** hot (on a couple of songs his guitarist was playing trumpet and guitar at the same time). I had one of the kids with me who's more of a techno-head but even he really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

PJ Harvey excellent last night. Never tire of seeing her. Support act Mica Levi was the worst act I have ever seen. It was like a man who has been given loads of drugs and had never seen a guitar or a microphone in his life. I like strange music but this was absolutely chronic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,848 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In Glasgow for Death can for cutie/The Postal Service (still waiting on the Collins barracks announcement.....)

I've had a Greggs chicken bake and there's a statue of a horse with a traffic cone on it, so I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Immediately thinks 'sounds right up my street'….does online search and discovers it's yer one from Micachu & the Shapes…maybe not. Had a listen anyway on bandcamp and the Ruff Dog lp sounded surprisingly good to my ears. Plenty of lo-fi shoegaze shenanigans. I then tried Blue Alibi, which i suspect is closer to what you experienced last night.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Fanirish

mica is one of the greatest musicians of last twenty years. Amazing film scores, half a dozen albums under various projects/bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Musical taste is so personal. I bet no two playlists will ever be the same…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Curiouslty got the better of me and I threw on some of that Mica Levi stuff. Stop the lights. That's awful muck. How anyone can compose that type of stuff, take the time and expense to make it available, and think it is listenable is beyond me. Reminds me a bit when Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth) played a little gig in Royal Museum of Modern Art, Kilmainham a few years back. We went along thinking it was going to be class. All she did was these random noises. Wasn't music. What she did was supposed to be some "arty piece". I'm afraid the joke was on us for paying 20 quid to listen to it.

Yeah the stuff on Spotify was decent. This was very poorly played out of tune guitar and even more out of tune singing.

Maybe so but whatever they were playing last night was utter drivel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Workman’s Cellar this evening. All our talk of Meryl Streek. He should play alongside the lead in the support act Curtisy. The ying and yang would work wonders.

Revival Season were good. Enjoyed the mixes and sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

80k+ at Croke Park on Saturday, and abouit 1% of that at the Academy on Wednesday, for

Tailgunner

and KK's Priest

Advertisement