Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

Not true. One of many times me switching, my new provider didn't inform the old one, so i ended up paying to both for a month untill i realised. The lad from cs said they are not legally required to contact old provider, they do it more out of courtesy. So this time somebody f'ed up and i end up paying for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

It works to do a transfer, you need to give the new provider your siro/eir/whoever account number. It'll be in a similar place as your customer account number on your bill probably.

That's on my sky bill for example, the middle one is what i used to switch to them from Vodafone siro. SISK i think it starts with and numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's what your universal access number is for, I've changed provider every year and never got overcharged by the outgoing provider. It isn't a courtesy for the new provider to inform the old provider it happens automatically. The only time you can get caught is if you move from one system to another, eg moving from Eir fttc to VM etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭John arse

Had the installation guy come to set up the 3 5g broadband deal - he said it was pointless due to lack of signal. He also recommended that I shouldn't move away from fibre, will go with PURE again for another year I think @35 a month- can't fault them really.Other deals out there but couldn't be arsed now

Is that what Pure offered you to renew? What speed? 500 or 1 gig?

• Advertisement

No that's their normal price - wouldn't move on it either, it's 500 gig but no messing with them,the bills are what they should be!

I'm with them now. I'm paying 30 for 500, no hassle at all, great service in fairness. I'll see what happens next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Currently with Pure, just entered last 30 days of my minimum term. Their retention offer was new 18 month contract with 6 months at €35 and remainder at €50.

I won't be staying, I'll likely go with Sky again as their €30pm offer is best I can find currently. The perpetual game of musical chairs because Telco's allocate more to new customer offers than to retention is bloody exhausting. Same with other utility providers too TBF. Customers have to stay on top of their offer terms & periods.

Thank feck for Google calendar and task reminders 😉

I signed up for another 12 months yesterday with pure -€35 a month for the year for 500gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If they'd offered me that? I'd have happily stayed and I told them as much. Their retention offer to me was as I mentioned, 18mths with 6 at €35 & 12 at €50. I'm not going to bother following up, better deals out there without having to chase them.

• Advertisement

Yeah I am just paying what I payed last year,I tried to get something off but no movement but at the same time they just offered me the same as last year with no issues, strange what they offered you?. Btw EIR offering €100 credit on broadband and Virgin media offering €100 all4one voucher(on switcher.ie) if you're interested, good luck.👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭seanin4711

thanks for above!

VF offer 30 for first 6 months and 40 for the next 6 for up to 500mb.

interestingly they give a free upgrade to 1gb.

i think this is where i will be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

€60 cheaper than offered for a renewal - €35/€45. Was going to just let it go as my wife is afraid moving could result in downtime but an unexpected €600 bill elsewhere is making me reconsider

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭feargantae

For anyone who switched to Vodafone, does the yearly April price increase still apply during the initial 12 month contract? If so is it easy to get them to remove it?

VF applied a 7.6% increase to my €35pm contract amount last year resulting in a €5.70pm increase, which was actually a 16.3% increase as based on the original undiscounted €75pm rate.

Promised however it wouldn't be applied if I renewed this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

from my experience they will automatically apply it unless you contact them and then they set up a bonus discount for the same amount, I’ve done this with eir and Vodafone in the past

I think the system may have changed with Vodafone and the locked in price doesn’t rise but they will send you a letter or email about any intended rise

Post edited by OmegaGene on

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

In my case they did not apply the April increase to my account which was renewed in February. I was expecting them to apply the increase iaw their T&C's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm in my third renewal year with them @35pm, 35pm and now 30pm. Never had any increase applied.

I pushed for renewal at same price, ie €35pm and was refused. Might go back for one last try as contract is up tomorrow

Had a look on switcher.ie and am not clear why Eir only provides 1gb 24 month contract in area. Looking at options it appears Virgin Media at €35pm for 12 months plus €100 oneforall voucher seems to be the best deal.

• Advertisement

Just noticed that only Vodafone and Eir include a phone service with their fibre broadband plans. I currently have a phone service with Vofafone and while I rarely use it, its a nice to have option. Am I correct in thinking I'm limited to Eir (1gb) and Vodafone I I want fibre broadband and phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My Eir 500 meg 12 months contract is now expired.

I calle he yesterday and they are pushing me to a new 2 year contract. I don't liectheia of a two years contract. Are all providers goingbthectwo years contract option? If not I'll contact Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No, I'm with Pure and have the phone also…500mb for €35 per month, was with Sky fiber before that and also had the landline.

Thanks for clarification. I've just spoken to Virgin Media rep and advised yes to phone but at an additional cost of €3 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭amber2

How do people find vodafone as a fiber broadband provider, we are wireless as fiber is only going live within the next few weeks. What’s their customer service like to deal with if there is an issue and are they reliable. Currently with ivertec and have never really had to pick up the phone to them but Vodafone working out cheapest.

Always found them OK over last 2 years. Only downtime related to NBI fibre damage/fault. They had billing issue over last few months which were annoying but ultimately resolved. Didn't like the 16% inflation based increase on my €35pm payment in April (calc based on 7.6% increase on prediscounted €75pm rate which was a bit sneaky as the increase was not discounted accordingly) but these increases it seems to apply to multiple providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got the option of 1 or 2 years from eir. I went with 1

Sorry for multiple posts but am being hard sold benefits of 1gb over 500mb service for better latency etc. Have people who upgraded to 1gb notice any appreciable improvement in quality of service? Is it worth €10pm for a normal household?

Genuinely I don't think it is. I went from 1gig with VM to 500 with Pure telecom and couldn't tell the difference, everything still works perfectly, sky downloads etc are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Your mileage may vary but I spent a year and a half with vodafone. First six months were perfect in every way, then I got a call offering to add tv to my fibre and phone (500mb) package for an extra fiver a month on a new 12 month contract (so €45 a month for tv, fibre and phone). They didn't install the tv for 2 months and didn't activate it for another 5 or 6 and then for the entirely of the new contract they messed up my bill every single month without fail resulting in my spending at least 30 minutes on the phone every month, most times having to send my copy of my contract to them and them promising it would never happen again. As soon as my new 12 month contract was up at the end of March I left them and, I'm not joking, I still have to contact them every month because I keep getting texts and emails about my latest bill.

Having said that, if I had to choose between vodafone and eir as the only providers available, I'd still choose vodafone but those two are the bottom of the barrel for me.

Advertisement