Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Over the years, there's been a growth in the proportion of posters who just spout whatever conspiracy theories a portion of the American right indulge in like climate science denial, anti-vaxx, the great replacement, or whatever. When they're asked for proof, they get annoyed when they either can't produce any or whatever random tweet they've pasted is quite rightly rejected.

The problem isn't that people are rejecting evidence, it's that some people are so desperately clinging to an ideology that they can't bear to have it questioned and respond angrily when it is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Packrat

This isn't an isolated set of biases on display either.

It's literally all of the currently active Mod/Admin team who involve themselves in CA.

As long the current team get to pick the replacements it's just a packed jury of buddies who are all of the same set of opinions.

They cover each other's arses, when the modding becomes too blatantly one-sided. They adjudicate when some poster tries to protest the lack of balance or fairness by their colleague.

It's like going to court in Russia. An utter waste of time.

Until this changes or is changed by the site owners, all 50 whatever pages of this thread are just pissing into the wind. It'll just blow back into your own face over the next few posts in other threads.

In fact this thread and the previous one are but a further insult to to those of us who try to suggest improvements.

It's a truly despicable state of affairs that a formerly great site which I joined 20 odd years ago has been allowed to become like this.

There is basically no hope for this place.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem is that I and many others I know haven't come across any "citizen journalists" who are anything other than Twitter lunatics and simpletons. There may well be "citizen journalists" out there somewhere who are rational, impartial and intelligent just like that there may be aliens out there in space. Thing is, I haven't seen any of those rational, impartial and intelligent "citizen journalists" and I suspect that if there are any, they quickly get a real job.

I can't prove what I belief, but somebody can disprove me by producing a cadre of rational, impartial and intelligent "citizen journalists" rather than the occasional exception to prove the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

My approach going forward is to just blanket ignore every one of these users.

I'd suggest others take the same approach and just stop interacting with them completely.

The mods want less work, that will give them absolutely nothing to do if we all do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Yvonne007

So it's true then? Do most moderators/administrators have the same opinions on contentious subjects and are pretty much in lockstep as to what is "alternative facts/conspiracy theories"?

I see that you are a mod too and also were unable to refrain from getting personal on a feedback thread with someone you obviously have a history with.

Do you believe that moderators should be held to a higher standard than regular posters? I do.

If some section of people are to moderate my comments and ensure I don't step over the line, but then I see a couple of them get personal and tell others that facts are facts and no other rubbish will be tolerated, it is disheartening. It seems obvious that people who think differently to those already in place will not get the opportunity to moderate so what you have is in fact an echo chamber masquerading as a discussion forum.

from my limited experience, I have to say that @Big Bag of Chips doesn't fit into my discription and seems to have the most fair and rounded approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're using outlandish examples.

How is this in any way honest?

Again, people you disagree with are beneath your contempt so they all must believe conspiracy theories shared by logan Paul or whatever nonsense you're claiming that is never actually witnessed on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

If somebody isn't able to provide credible proof for their claims and the claims are particularly outlandish, it's fair to label them as conspiracy theories. Eg a poster recently posted claims of migrants having a failed kidnapping attempt. Their source was some angry racists, no news articles or garda statements. Just "citizen journalists". Similarly the anti vax crap etc all basically sang from same hymn sheet. You'd see the exact same claim reiterated over and over with no proof. justifications for Russia's invasion was the exact same. It's less so a shared opinion but being able to spot blatant propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Has the criteria for what is actionable changed?

I see moderation was retrospectively applied to a closed thread and things like typing "FFS" or "f*cking" are now being warned as uncivil based on feedback on this thread.

Surely if this is deemed actionable now posters should have been informed and it shouldn't be used on posts that predate the change? Yes, there's a swear filter but this has never been an issue before.

These have been used on the site for years, I'm sure if anyone cared to search they'd find examples of a mod using them too. None of us can be expected to observe criteria that might be applied in the future.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,754 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ive never seen so many people complain about the rules of site which:

1. cost them nothing to join
    2. they did not have to join
    3. they do not have to post in

if you think the rules are "out to get you", well the obvious answer is to…….

• Advertisement

It's far far worse than that. See my previous post, or read what goes on in Helpdesk or Dispute Resolution and how the 'non-correctthink' people are dealt with.

You're correct to say that BigbagofChips isn't an active part of it, but they rarely get involved below admin level and nearly as guilty by abdication of duty.

Posting platitudes here and arguing tiny side issues is part of the problem of ignoring the glaring issue.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep I don't think bad language has ever been the issue.

Nobody - literally nobody is complaining about the rules.

Ya know, just like nobody is complaining about Filipino nurses, but people love pretending that they are.

But you already know all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Would you expect the Gardai, judicial or other bodies in Ireland to act with total impartiality or with some guideline as to what constitutes acceptable behaviour.

All societies, groups, bodies develop rules as they grow and evolve. A great many of them unwritten.

Posters who are right leaning have already said on this thread that Ireland leans left, and so too does Boards.

So is it reasonable for them to then ask that this natural inclination is discarded so as to assess content differently.

I'm not suggesting outright bias should be acceptable, but a mod reacting or speaking broadly in a manner consistent in the environment in which the users and the site largely exists should not be seen as problematic.

A functioning DRP should separate what may be unacceptable behaviour from acceptable, but it should also broadly reflect consistent norms.

This isn't the high court where impartiality and 'to the letter of the law' can be applied.

There's enough use of this in my posting history to trigger a site ban from an accumulation of retrosepctively applied warnings.

Why wasn't I warned before? Why weren't others?

• Administrators Posts: 54,021 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can you send me an example of someone being warned for using bad language?

Not doubting you, just curious to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yeah, I did noticed this and I don't remember it been part of any feedback either. It's seem ridiculously prudish and just way ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,186 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For someone who has moaned relentlessly in this thread about people twisting things out of context you're putting on quite a show here.

"This site has had years of being dicked around by these users, taking things others have said out of context, inserting narratives into discussions that have no place there, gaslighting, posting ad homenim crap to bait people into pointless arguments that derail threads and drive users away from the site."

Taking what he said about Logan Paul out of context and gaslighting the user with ad hominems that 'people you disagree with are beneath your contempt'

But it's not you, no, it's those hundreds of people you have to keep on ignore to keep yourself from getting into trouble with nonsense like this.

"Would you expect the Gardai, judicial or other bodies in Ireland to act with total impartiality"

yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats just a terrible analogy.

As another poster has said its an outlandish example, and a conspiracy theory.

A ridiculous topic, George Soros's dog.

New York Post, pillored as far right by Left based people.

Logan Paul, a grifter.

Its clear why such an outlandish and disengenuous example was chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,970 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People really shouldn't be getting so upset over being asked to provide credible sources to their outlandish claims. Credible sources would only validate their point.

Now obviously if its being pulled outta their arse and there is absolutely zero crediblity I can see the cause for upset. But rather than getting upset maybe it'd be better to have a look at the nonsense they are swallowing?

Outlandish claims like this one for example ?

June 26th 2024 Posted in the Joe Biden Presidency thread a poster simply says

Newspaper article the other day- speculation that Clinton and Obama paving the way behind the scenes for him (Biden) to retire and not run for re-election .

Lets see the response this poster gets

So you can't even be bothered to dump the link as per standard practice?

We're done here.

Few more replies

It's not even speculation, it's purely hypothetical garbage.

May yet become a reality says the OP

Keep buying those lottery tickets, dreams do come true (at odds of millions to one)

Will the Democratic party force him out against his will over concerns about his mental health?

No , there is no realistic scenario where that happens despite the GOP trying to wish that into existence for the last 5 years.

These rumors persist because the right doesn’t want to race against Biden. They’d prefer anyone else but the clean nosed Catholic they can’t even lay an email server on. And ain’t it just a treat that these rumors swirl around every name on the left that the right has built its entire base around despising and getting out their vote for?

Like you say , anything could happen to anyone at any time , but the repeated claims by the GOP and their flacks that "the Democrats are planning to replace Biden any day now" are utter nonsense

OP comes back with

I can give you Boston globe and NYTIMES articles too if you wish

Everyone seems to be getting terribly upset just because some members of the Democratic Party might be a little bit forward thinking having observed certain behaviours over the last year and are saying “what if..”

Pile on begins

Nobody's taking anything badly. You made a hysterical claim and pasted a link to the Daily Mail, a well known spreader of fake news. People gave it the curt dismissal it warranted.

OP again

I made no claim whatsoever - hysterical or otherwise so get your facts right.

I referenced an article and clearly stated that it was “speculation”- you do understand the difference between claim making and referencing an article clearly stating that it’s speculation?

More responses

There has never been any discussion outside of Republican fever dreams of anyone "forcing" Biden out or there being "secret plans to remove him" etc. which is what all those articles claim is happening or being discussed and it simply isn't true.

The idea that there are discussions ongoing to remove Biden against his will "because he's not up to it" is a complete fallacy and a whole cloth creation by the GOP and their media allies feeding their storyline that Biden is not for for office.

Less than a week later the debate happened and the rest, well lets just say those lottery tickets paid off.

The OP merely mentioned that there was speculation of Biden being stepped down for re election and what occured was a pile on.

These tactics are deplorable and ruining many threads on this once great site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Now do all the claims that didn't come true.

I've learned today not to go onto any thread relating to american politics. It really is just an echo-chamber.

This thread really is a must-read for new signups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,970 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If the OP had just provide a link to the newspaper article making the claim there'd have been no questioning.

They obviously didn't hence the questions.

No pile on whatsoever, just an OP clearly refusing repeatedly to back up/source a questionable claim.

I think everyone agrees the OP's tactics of making a wild claim and refusing to source it and instead spend a page or two whining about wild unverified claim being questioned are deplorable and ruining many threads on this once great site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement