Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor tv aerial query

• 02-08-2024 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

In-laws need a replacement aerial for tv upstairs and I've been landed with it just something cheap and cheerful Having never used any of these except the old bunny ears in the early 90s I'm clueless ,just wanted to know if this works here it's only for the rtes or whatever is picked up on aerial these days

Thanks for any help

https://amzn.eu/d/4m3PdrE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

How close to the transmitter or booster, what's their location? Why do they need a replacement aerial? If they need a new aerial outside to receive TV then a "rabbit's ears" won't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

That bit of plastic you linked to on Amazon is one big lie and Amazon should be prosecuted. No aerial, even ones on tall masts, has a 250 mile range. The earths curvature gets in the way.

The TV network is designed for outdoor aerials 10 metres above the ground. Anything else is hit and miss depending on location.

If you must try indoors choose something that looks like an aerial not a bit of plastic.

Look here ,

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/indoor-set-top-aerials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

In Limerick city area, never had issues before with the old indoorone before but they broke that old aerial a while back so hadn't replaced it. Never had or don't need an outdoor aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Your TV signal is probably from Woodcock Hill, so according to 2rn website you need a group K antenna.

Something like this in the attic, assuming there is cable already to the attic.

They Also have a rabbits ears, i wouldnt be too hopeful of it though.

https://www.freetv.ie/grey-group-k-uhf-aerial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How far away is your nearest transmitter, enter your eircode here

https://saorview.ie/en/check-coverage/

Depending on distance a small indoor aerial could work in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

So called rabbits ears are VHF aerials for FM and DAB radio. Completely unsuitable for UHF TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

They can be made to be resonant at TV broadcast UHF frequencies by shortening the telescopic elements to somewhere between 10-15cm each which will make a dipole antenna that is roughly half a wavelength across from tip to tip as long as the tips of each leg face away from each other (180 degrees). If the telescopic legs can't be made shorter than 15cm, then simply shorten them down as far as possible. The disadvantage of this is that you have no antenna gain (other than the 2.15db intrinsic gain of a dipole) but if you have a spare pair of 'wabbit ears lying around, it's a free crapshoot and you may get something, or else nothing. For horizontally polarised signals (like those broadcast from Woodcock Hill), raising the tips of each element slightly to create a squat "V" might help especially if the elements can't be made shorter than 15cm.

As an alternative, you could use the telescopic elements fully extended to make a semi-rhombic antenna that'll have some additional gain, but will take up more physical space than a simple half wave dipole mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Picked up one of these from Tesco before for about €20, does the job grand...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9338924?clickSR=slp:term:indoor%20tv%20aerial:1:21:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Used the exact same one in Corbally and Alandale over the years bit of fiddling at the start to get it positioned but worked a charm after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Thanks chaps,Yeah it was something like that one for all that they had and worked grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭beachhead

Woodies used to sell indoor aerials to pick up Saorview channels only.Might still stock them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have built quite a few of these and all work very well, but I live in a strong signal area. It is very tolerant of position and does not react to people walking around, getting >90% signal and 100% quality.

It is simple to make and cost next to nothing - just a silver coloured coat hanger and a co-ax cable to connect to the TV..

[Just search for - Saorview aerial from coat hanger (zero cost).]

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058315422/saorview-aerial-from-coat-hanger-zero-cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That little word "Solder", takes it out of the realms of Simple for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It will work without solder. Just tighten the screws up tight with good connection. The solder just makes a good connection that extends its life. My first one lasted a decade without solder.

Try it out - it is basically free if built from stuff you already have.

I would be interested to hear of anyone making one of these aerials and how it performed.

A modern TV will give signal strength and signal quality for RTE 1 and RTE 2 (these are on different muxes) which will give an excellent idea of its performance. It would be great if the distance to the transmitter was also indicated together with the two channel numbers.

The aerial is either positioned horizontal or vertical to match the signal, but waving it around will tell you which will work best. I have been amazed at how well it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Instead of starting new tread ,hijacking this one with a similar problem

I lost reception for rte/tv3 this week ,I checked aries and this distribution box in attic is showing red light instead of green. There is a separate aerial for both Rte and tv3 uhf/vhf coming into this box. What is the simple fix. Will replacing this box do the fix ?

Aries?

Is it a distribution box or a masthead amp?

VHF aerial has been redundant since 2012. Should really be removed at this point.

Where are the 2 aerials combined, on the mast or the attic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

This is the box with the 2 ariels combined uhf/vhf and it shows a red light which should be green .Both ariels are in the attic .

Most likely the distribution amp is faulty.

I would swap it out for a standard UHF distribution amp, VHF aerial no longer required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 koxir

Nothing but respect for whoever came up with this idea. Zero cost near enough and the result is 100% quality.

• Advertisement

Could you post a picture of the aerial, and how close you are to the mast and which channels are used.

So Ch nn -[signal strength], [signal quality], Ch nn, [signal strength], [Signal strength], [signal strength]. Distance to mast. These are available on your smart TV normally. Polarisation might be important - horizontal or vertical.

I would be pleased to see your result.

As to who designed it, well I did.

Advertisement