Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jesuisjuste

Yeh I agree, it's definitely not an axe, I meant more like a small hatchet shape, but it wouldn't have a thin handle as you say. It could be some form of fire hook, or a more elaborate type of poker. In any case just given that Josie said a poker was missing, I though it maybe shows a change in what was there between the time period of the video and the murder (probably a couple of years, but since Sophie didn't visit too often there probably wasn't much turnover of fireplace tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭FrankN1

The gate may be the most likely argument source. And also Alfie didn't hear anything which was a bit odd. Would explain why she left in her boots to confront him…

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I hesitate to point the finger at Alfie but the known facts at the very least, are far more indicative of Alfie being involved than most others.

He knew her. Most murder victims are killed by known associates rather than complete strangers.

He was definitely there.

He had an ongoing dispute with Sophie, albeit somewhat petty. But it would not have been the first or last time a petty neighbour dispute got out of control. The dispute, or at least part of it, concerned the opening/closing of the gate….which is where the attack happened……

Neither he nor Shirley heard anything…at least that's what they said. This I find very strange.

Neither of them checked Sophie for a pulse or breathing. Again, strange. It would be the first instinct of most people.

Alfie had a bandaged hand. He claimed it was from an old wound, an ice skating accident from his younger days. I'm not clear on why an old wound like that would need bandaging.

He claimed to have knocked on Sophie's door to warn her, not realising that it was Sophie on the ground….

I don't really think he did it, but when you compare the circumstantial evidence, there is much, much more implicating Alfie than IB.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Baz Richardson

Wasn't it said that the heating repair had been done before her visit? I thought I had read that the housekeeper said this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭tinytobe

We can't really rule anything out, as we basically have nothing.

However I doubt that the motive was sexual in the sense of having casual sex that evening or that morning, or the motive was rape. It's also possible that there was a randomness to it, someobody she met in the pub, followed her home, or that German musician.

The motive could have been sexual in the sense of jelousy and about a former lover who couldn't have her. This theory would bring Bruno into the picture, but maybe somebody else in France?

What could potentially also point to a professional hit, making it look as unprofessional as possible is the total absence of DNA evidence of the killer. ( that is if the police was so incompetent that they didn't gather anything at all….?) Make it look as unprofessional and spur of the moment as possible, but leave no traces could have been the idea of the killer here.

Looking at all the characters in question and their financial state of affairs:

The Ungerers were most likely well settled, no motive at all, just friendship with Sophie. Creative background included.

Alfie was probably getting by financially, did some lighter drugs himself, grew something, but I don't think he would have done something big in the drug business.

Bolger did something bigger in terms of drugs, but financially he didn't make a lot as well, otherwise his lifestyle would have shown it. He certainly didn't want to go to jail, so that could have been a motive for murder as well?

Daniel had by far the biggest financial gain and motive, he was influential in France and hat many contacts in France. Most likely influential enough to fend off possible inconvenient questions about his bank accounts and state of affairs by the police authorities. Apparently Sophie would have been entitled to half of his estate, instead he gotten the financial pay out of the life insurance and the "unwanted wife" was conveniently gone, plus in any murder case the spouse is always the biggest likelyhood among all supspects.

Daniel had by far the biggest motive. Not only did he keep all that was his, he also gotten a financial gain. Daniel was also the only one who kept himself far away from the reaches of the Irish police authorities, - they couldn't reach him and question or cross examine him.

The visit to France in the recent cold case investigation was about one of Daniel's friends.

The chair or both chairs by the window are interesting, and so is the position of the table and the flowers in that vase. To me, taking a look at the picture it would look like she was sitting on one chair, and having the feet up on the chair oposite. Suppose there was a 2nd person sitting in the other chair, the vase on the table would have been a bit too close for comfort, and easily knocked over by anybody tring to squeeze by and sitting down?

I may be totally wrong here, but the way it looks to me, is that she simply had her feet up and was reading something, light would have shone on the book, beside the window. If someone was sitting across from her, the gap between the table and the chair would have been wider and the vase would most certainly not have been at the corner of the table? But these are just my thoughts on this.

Interstingly the book is in the middle of the table, not close to the two chairs? And there is a jar of jam in between? This gives the feeling of something which is set up and put in order rather than something that really happened? There is something "artificial" to that picture, in my gut feeling.

If I was expecting a visitor, friend, guest and wanted to sit down and talk to, there would have been more space to walk and sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭bjsc

It will take me time to go through this but I'll address a couple of things now. I can't release the blood pattern report as it was sent to me in confidence but I can assure you that the author had access to all the files, reports and photographs, from both France and Ireland, that are currently available.

I think the only thing a blood pattern report can shed some new light onto the murder is if any blood which is not Sophie's could clearly only and exclusively have come during the perpetration of the murder. Otherwise it will raise even more questions which would be equally hard to get answers to. I do understand that there was a blood stain on Sophie's boot which was neither Sophie's nor Bailey's but it's not established as to when the blood stain gotten onto the boot. The blood stain could easily have come before the murder in a totally unrelated matter.

The matter with her husband Daniel and the lack of consideration by the investigating police back then still baffles me.

Regarding this murder, Daniel conveniently "disposed" of his by then unwanted wife. He avoided a messy or costly divorce, he got to keep his assets, he got the financial payment from the life insurance of Sophie and everything that were Sophie's assets were now his, after all he was as husband next of kin. He also avoided all inconvenient questions from the Irish police by not travelling to Ireland. Were Daniel's finance ever investigated? Shouldn't that have been something which should have to be done?

It would for instance be interesting to know, if Daniel and Sophie already discussed a divorce prior to Sophie's departure for Ireland? Did they agree on assets and estates, or did they argue? And if so, over what? Was she to continue working for Daniel in the case of a divorce? Did they still share a bed together? The latter probably not. We do know that he gave her a call that late night, so most likely they were still at least on speaking terms.

In contrary, the picture of the spur of the moment and unplanned murder would probably most likely apply to the German musician.

At the moment, I think that this murder mystery will never be solved. It's possible that somebody still knows a bit more than he or she is telling, and maybe one day there is something like a "death bed confession".

I still believe that Shirley may be such a candidate who would possibly fit this profile: After all, she is the only one still alive who was the closest to the murder site at the night in question. And unless the murder was really quiet, she didn't hear or notice anything at all? Not even a car coming and going? Nothing? A cavity block crushing a skull is proably also not the most quiet acitivity? She must have really had a very deep sleep or worse, the possibility of wanting to protect her late husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PolicemanFox

Just a clarification on a few random matters that came up in the last few posts

1. Bruno gave multiple proofs of alibi. There is not just the signed docket for the telephone installation on the 23rd, there is also credit card bill showing he was at a restaurant in Paris on 22/12/96. He was with other people. Bruno's alibi is solid.
    2. Sophie's agenda was found and scoured, if she was having an affair there is no obvious evidence for it in her diary or other papers. The only details written in the weekend she was in Ireland was her flight details. Bailey's name or number do not appear in her diary or any other papers found.
    3. A sexual motive can't be ruled out. There was no evidence found of sexual assault, but there are many forms of sexual assault that don't leave physical evidence. A non-sexual assault can also have a sexual motive, e.g. so called "honour killings". We can't rule out any motive, to be fair.
    4. The male DNA profile taken from her boot did not come from the blood drop. That was never identified. The profile came from "a whitish trace at the base of the laces"
    5. Alfie said the glass conservatory which covered the whole front of the house effectively muffled the sound coming from the South.
    6. Only Josie Hellen & possibly Bill Hogan seems to have said she was splitting up with Daniel. Hellen told Gardai and newpapers Sophie was getting back with her first husband Pierre-Jean and she had spent time with Pierre-Jean in the house the previous year. This is definitely incorrect. Pierre Jean never visited the cottage while Sophie was alive. The only dealings she had with him were to hand their Pierre-Louis back and forth for co-parenting. Josie Hellen must have misinterpreted something Sophie said. This has never been adequately explained. Daniel had a lot of affairs so its possible Sophie had decided to divorce him but her friends and family didn't know anything about this.

I was not aware of Bruno's multiple proofs of alibi.

Also Sophie was described as a private minded person and it was that, what promted her to seek the lonelyness of rural South West Ireland. If she and Daniel planned a divorce, she certainly didn't want to be in the tabloids and wirtten about and spoken about. So it would have been rather discreet if that would have been possible.

Daniel's new relationship must have been at a very very advanced stage at the time of the murder. After all, his new wife gotten pregnant soon after the murder and they also married very soon after the murder.

As far as I know, Daniel also knew about Sophie's affairs especially with Bruno and that Sophie and Bruno spent time at the cottage? Apparently fairly regularly? Not certain? Sophie ended the affair with Bruno abruptly? But for what reason? She met somebody new we don't know about? Or was it some other reason?

Bruno said that they moved in together at the end of 1993 and it fell apart. Sophie wanted a baby, a girl which she wanted to call Therèse. Bruno didn't want a child. But that's only Bruno's explanation.

There is a detailed account of their relationship on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderAtTheCottage/s/CIuJvGBkWe

https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderAtTheCottage/comments/1b3smcy/sophie_iv_thérèse_the_baby_girl_of_desire/

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links. An exciting read and good insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"From the photos of the pumphouse there is only one block missing. The large block corresponds to the missing space on the left front of the pumphouse. This does leave a half-block sized aperture on the field side presumably so you could reach in to the pump without lifting the lid."

If the gate into Sophie's lawn closed onto the pumphouse the sliding bolt that keeps the gate closed would have slid into an aperture around where the block is missing. Initially my thinking was that this gate was where Sophie confronted her intruder, and a push and pull with the gate ensued resulting in the block being displaced and the first blood shed on the stone there. Her attacker went back for this block later knowing it was loose. However on looking again the gate is wide open and tht sliding bolt is pushed back in the open position, so it appears the gate may have already been opened and perhaps Sophie was attempting to close it?.

When Dermot Dwyer visited Ian Bailey he asked him whether he knew who did it, and Bailey said that her husband Daniel sent a hitman.

I am surprised this was never examined further. Not even the question was asked and examined how Bailey came up with this opinion.

Instead Dwyer said that he had a pretty good idea who did it, and he was al local. It was never clear how Dwyer came up with the idea it was a local back then. Or was he already pinning it on Bailey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Not sure what to make of Dermot Dwyer and what he thinks, he came across very badly in the Jim Sheridan documentary.

This was on 31/1/97, a few days before Bailey's arrest so yes, he was already very much in the frame.

Dwyer said he thought it was a local, because he thought someone from outside the area would never find the place.

I would honestly question his integrity. But that's my personal opinion. I may not be the only one.

I would doubt that as well. Anybody with some sense of orientation and capability to read maps could have found the place, instructions or not. Driver's license and car as the only requirement.

I've driven to Toormore myself, took a few turns "on the off chance" and found the house with ease. If I had taken one wrong turn, I would have simply gone back, taken the next turn, and would have been there. And I am certainly no local, not even a "blow in" and all that "pre-google-maps".

Yes, it is remote, and so is the whole peninsula, but it's certainly not impossible to find something or somebody or one specific house. I've even found Jule's house as well as the "Studio".

Well done! Did you just key P81Y364 into your satnav?

No, don't even have that. Oldfashioned map helped.

To me it only shows how shallow minded the investigation was.

"The killer was a local because the house is difficult to find".

To me that's more like a bad joke with all irony involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Deeec

Way before eircodes, google maps and sat navs people were able to find where they needed to be. We used maps, signs, looked for landmarks and followed directions. If it was a hitman they would have done their homework. Its nonsense to think that it had to be a local just because of the remoteness of the property.

True, I suppose anyone could arrive there armed with nothing but a map.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

One would just have bought an OSI map. Ordnance Survey Ireland, if one doesn't know what that is.

These maps were even back then very exact. Way better than the Michelin ones in France, even though they were good as well.

It's just a farce by the police to think that based on that remoteness that the killer was local. This wouldn't even have fooled my grandmother. It feels like the police were taking us all for a ride on this one.

It's probably a reason to zoom in on Bailey or the beginning of their botched investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭head82

Of all the names that crop up continually in this investigation.. Alfie and Shirley, Leo Bolger, the Hellens etc. .. mention of the Ungerers seem very sparse. Considering they were one of the few locals who were on friendly or familiar terms with Sophie and one of the last to see her alive, you'd think they would have more to offer on Sophies frame of mind at the time. Other than her being 'spooked' during her visit to Three Castle Head and wearing suede boots, they don't appear to have much more to contribute.

I would have thought them to be in a position to provide a little more insight to Sophies private life. Perhaps what her plans or intentions were or was she having any difficulty with other locals or neighbours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When Dermot Dwyer visited Ian Bailey he asked him whether he knew who did it, and Bailey said that her husband Daniel sent a hitman.

I am surprised this was never examined further. Not even the question was asked and examined how Bailey came up with this opinion.

I don't really subscribe to the hitman theory but as for Daniel's possible involvement - if I were Daniel and I saw AGS pretty much declare in the weeks following the murder that they had their man (an English drunkard who lived nearby), I wouldn't have entertained any subsequent accusations that might have come my way from AGS after that.

As for Bailey's accusation towards Daniel - we don't know whether it was followed up or not. However, I'd say that AGS didn't believe much of what Bailey said and given that he is one of their key suspects (or the only one!), I'd say that they would dismiss pretty much any excuse or deflection he might have made.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I spent a few years working in rural areas (pre-GPS, etc) and easily found people's houses with the most basic form of directions and without any maps.
    Furthermore, I can still visualise the road from Toormore up towards Sophie's junction (despite not being there in a number of years) and it really isn't difficult to navigate.

I honestly don't know if Daniel sent a hitman or not. Non of us know. It's just one theory one line of enquiry which should have considered more as many things that happened would point into a direction.

He was the only one who financially benefitted from the murder. Upon her death, he received her assets as he was legally the husband and next of kin, he also recieved a life insurance payout, he also avoided a costly divorce and avoided sharing half of his assets with a divorced wife. He also evaded conveniently questioning, probing or examination by the Irish police. ( I don't think the French police ever investigated his finances around the time of the murder)

All that in mind, it's a little too convenient for Daniel. The inconvienient question I would have here at this point, is can we put an exact figure on that one how much Daniel gained vs how much he would have lost if he split everything in half with the divorced wife and single mother? It'll be very interesting.

Bailey had absolutely no benefit of Sophie's death from day one. The effort of 2 hours hike in the darkenss after a drinking session in the pub, to confront and kill a woman for absolutely no motive we can see?

A small time local drug dealer or occasional drug user, Sophie may have been observing and becoming impertinent to? Maybe also on the list of motivations for murder, however I don't think the financial implications would have been as strong as Daniel's. The motivation wouldn't have been so much financial but more to avoid a jail sentence? But still, a possible motive for murder which can't be denied.

Exactly.

Even more so, I also recall one OSI "paper map", even showing Sophie's house as well as the one of the Richardson's but oddly not Alfie and Shirley's.

So if Dwyer is stating that the killer must have been a local just be cause the house is rural, he's taking us all for a ride. What else? The Guards gave drugs to get close to Bailey they coerced Marie Farell, same as the Bandon Garda station tapes. Lost evidence….. This also makes one wonder if there was more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A hitman who was good with directions but useless with "clean" hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why would a clever hitman make it obvious by doing a 'clean hit'. A 'clean hit' would point straight to Daniel.

Easier to fool the gardai by doing an amateur job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Seems pretty clean to me with no real evidence pointing to anyone.

By the way the Gardai "investigated", it must have been easy to fool them. Of course the killer couldn't have known that, but a killer wouldn't have made it easy for the investigation as well. After all, he wanted to remain undiscovered and get away easy.

Yes, a clean hit would have pointed to Daniel, or even more to Daniel, but clean hits are also common in the drug business.

• Advertisement

The Ungerers were acquaintances, not friends. In face Sophie didn't have any real friends in Ireland (that we know of), only acquaintances and employees. Sophie had met Yvonne Ungerer a few times to say hello and had a few conversations with her on her way to walk at Three Castles Head. She only met Tomi twice, the first time was in April 96 and was very brief because there he and his wife were having a row. The second time was the day before she died. Tomi gave a statement about what they talked about. Here it is:

I must say I did not know Sophie until last Sunday the 22.12.96. Last Sunday at 3 p.m. approx. I was in my study when I heard my dogs barking and I went out to see who it was. I saw this female. She introduced herself to me as Sophie du Plantier and told me she was going for a walk up to the castle. Sophie had sent a fax to me during the Summer relating to the death of a common friend, Gilbert Esteve, who was the No. 2 in the Ministry of Culture who died, age 48, of cancer. She wished to share information that I may have had on this person. I’m not sure if this interest was professional or personal. Well, she introduced herself as the person who corresponded with me and we said to each other, at last we meet. I invited her to come in for a drink when she had finished her walk. I was alone at the time and at about a half an hour afterwards she came to the door and I left her in. She had 2 glasses of red wine. We had general conversation about cultural matters and education topics. She was saying how great Ireland was for literature and education compared to France, how France had thousands of books published every year but that there was no good authors there, how Ireland was vibrant as a centre of literature for a small country. She discussed her family, moreover her children and their education in France. She indicated that the reason she was here in Ireland was she wanted to be alone for Christmas. I considered this strange but I sometimes like to be alone too. We talked about books and culture and how the language here was more meaningful and truthful compared to the superficial nature of the French. Yvonne came home with the boys about half an hour after she came in. Yvonne knew her from passing the house before on her way to the castle on occasions ofher walks. I too may have had occasion to salute her before over the last couple of years as she passed the house on herway for a walk, but so many people pass on that walk, it would have been impossible to remember her from the rest. The conversation we had with her was very general. She may have sounded a bit anxious but it is difficult to put one’s finger on it. Perhaps it is only my thoughts in hindsight, in retrograde. As far as I understand from my conversation with her, she had three/maybe two children, one of these children being her own, a boy, 15 years, going to French boarding school. The other or others are from the Husband’s previous relationships. I don’t even know what she did as a living. She seemed a very genuine person, a fine person, not pretentious or snobby. I thought she was deep and intelligent, so much so that I made notes of some things she said, “In a language there should be no need of the use of cuteness” “The problem of France is her lack of modesty”. I wrote those saying they might be useful for my work in the future. I wrote the quotes on a card in which we exchanged addresses before she left. On hindsight now I would go as far as saying she was not beaming, that she had something on her mind. It’s hard when you do not know someone well to say. I offered her a third glass of wine but she did not take any. We gave her some eggs to take with her, half dozen for her supper. We have hens. About her return to France, she stated that she had not made up her mind, she said maybe to-day, Tuesday or Christmas Day. She did not say anything about what she was going to do for the rest of the evening. She arrived and left in a small white car which she parked at the bottom of the hill which is some distance away so I could not make out what type it was. The only thing I remember about cars is that when she arrived or around that time a red car left which had been there. She was wearing some type of black leather expensive looking pants, brown suede hiking boots, a white/cream ribbed polo necked sweater and a beige wool blazer and a navy blue wool jacket with belt and a navy wool cap and red suede gloves, wine/red gloves. She was dressed very well. She had her hair tied back. She did not have a handbag. She left just before 6 p.m. and walked back to the parking lot. We said we would contact each other by ‘phone over the next couple of days to see what was happening. She was unsure of her plans so we did not make a definite arrangement to meet. We would without a doubt have become friends as there was an immediate affinity amongst all three of us. I was shocked, or sick is a better word, when we heard the news.

Advertisement