Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a Wet-Weather Bike Trip: Ponchos or Something Else?

• 21-08-2024 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Sorry about this. I’m pretty sure we had a discussion about clothing before, but now I can’t seem to find it.

I’m thinking about going on a short bike trip in September. Ideally, I’d like to stay as dry as possible, both on and off the bike. As you probably know, this year hasn’t exactly been dry.

Can anyone share what rain gear you use when you’re out and about?

I’m considering buying a poncho from Decathlon along with some waterproof cycling trousers with built-in shoe covers, but I’m not sure how well cycling ponchos hold up to Irish weather, especially since it can get quite windy and I’m planning to take a coastal route.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

For me, cycling on the west coast in the wet, I use the following:

• Bib shorts or bib tights depending on temperature
    • Polyurethane overshoes for cold/continuous rain or waterproof socks if It’s just showery
    • Waterproof gloves
    • Rain cape. I use Agu branded. Keeps me dry unless the rain in continuous and torrential, dries quickly, packs away when it’s not raining, and provides another layer if the weather turns cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

All I can add is that many years back when I was touring on the Ring of Kerry near Waterville, I was wearing a poncho. One gust of wind later I had been blown across two lanes of traffic into the opposite ditch. Rain jackets ever since.

Plus if you are on holiday, the rain jacket is passable as off-the-bike wear. A cape, not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The windage alone would put me right off a poncho. Light rain jacket, light legs, and/or quick drying underlayers/leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭ARX

And mudguards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Would you mind staying off my Tinder profile, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bib shorts if possible, dries quicker than bib tights. You will overheat in bib tights

A good waterproof/windproof cycling jacket. The windproof barrier will keep you warm

Cycling cap

Polyurethane shoe covers

Waterproof gloves

The key thing is, where/how will you dry wet gear each day?

Don't think this year has been any wetter than previous years. Windier and duller for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The problem with waterproof gear is that once wet it becomes a lot harder to dry.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

We've used 'scotchguard' and 'out & about' waterproofing sprays for outdoor clothing and footwear in the past and they helped a lot.

If you're buying outdoor gear, don't forget equestrian shops, they stock great water-resistant, windproof and breathable clothing that won't restrict movement and look fine for regular wear, unlike a lot of cycling clothing that looks like you're off to the tour de france - imo.

Advertisement