Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In the Newport DA as you know, a contractor for eircom replaced a couple of their existing poles quite recently, beside my brother's house, prep work for the rollout I assume.

New NBI poles will be required on the same road but were not done be these contractors. During the survey stage NBI were seeking landowners permission to install new poles. There is an existing duct with copper landline serving these few houses but it appears NBI are going to use poles instead.

Also in the village of Cappamore they have run new blown-fibre duct, tagged NBI, in the last week or so.

Saw some hedge cutting underway around the five-cross-roads, Murroe in the last week. Casey's iirc. Not sure if it's related to the rollout. Not your run of the mill single tractor job but a crew of people and equipment.

Delete.

Are they tagged eir or NBI?

The one's replaced near to my brother's have eir cut into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Didn't look but there was an nbi van looking at them a few months ago

Part of the NBI survey of the area. As part of the preparation work for the NBP rollout eircom's infrastructure, ducts and poles, that will be used to carry NBI's fibre is being repaired as necessary. So eircom replace their own poles and clear their own ducts.

"The EMR (Eir Make Ready) programme is vital to our fibre deployment programme. Eir is involved in pole replacement, duct remediation and the clearance of blockages to enable the NBI fibre build."

Where there is no existing eircom infrastructure NBI will install their own poles or ducts.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 knightfoon

hi guys, was just wondering about what to do. I’m currently waiting to be connected for fibre, I pre ordered it with a provider and I’ve been waiting for over a month. I’ve been told that NBI needs to survey the area first to see what’s required to get me connected. Does anyone know how long it would take? The problem is that I’m with Imagine, and our contract with them is up very soon. My partner WfH, and we need internet. I thought about starlink but they don’t rent it out anymore. Anyone got ideas or tips on what to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

You can continue with Imagine without entering a new contract, just go month to month. I didn't have any issues like this getting fibre, Just pre-ordered and they came out and installed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 knightfoon

How long did you wait for it? Is it true that surveying is kind of like the first step that they take ? I find it odd that it’s ready to pre order despite the surveying needing to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

Don't mix up surveying that NBI do with the surveying the fibre installation team need to do. NBI only go down the road, everything after that from the poles to your house may need to be surveyed for extra poles or ducting etc. They need to get the fibre from the black box on the poles on the road to your house, so all depends on how far that is.

I got the pre order email from NBI in late November 2023. I ordered asap around 1st December, had 1st visit by KNCricet mid Jan, they then arranged for a survey on site to install a pole. Pole was then installed end of February and KN came back middle of March to run the fibre to the house and install the fibre, line was active about 3 days later. Total time from order to active, 3 and a half months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

From pre-order to install was around 4 weeks. No survey but that might have been down to my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 tubawaski

Hi. I have a quick question.

My address is "ready to connect" on the NBI website. We have ordered the 500mbps package from Vodafone about two weeks ago and the engineer appointment is set for the 26th.
    I live on a housing estate , am I right in assuming the fibre gets routed through ducts in the ground? I assume they route through the already existing copper ducts?
    What is the chance that the connection goes live on the 26th when the engineer comes?

Edit: I saw a KN Circet van about a week ago at my neighbor next door, haven't seen them since so maybe they do it within a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's gas isn't it - Eircom or Eir, a private company are having their old rotting landline poles replaced by the taxpayer. An infrastructure they barely bother to maintain in rural areas. And a landline infrastructure that is increasingly obsolete as people abandon landlines and the costs assoc with line rentals for their mobile contracts. A landline infrastructure that has always been susceptible to damage from annual cutting of ditches.

Maybe there'll be an enquiry someday to see just how Eir managed to get the deal to carry the NBI cabling.

Using existing poles and ducting was a no brainer, no point replicating what is already there.

Eircom replace poles and repair ducts at their own expense, NBI in return pay an annual fee to access pole and duct infrastructure. The so called Eir Make Ready programme.

Where no eircom infrastructure exists NBI install their own.

NBI install their own fibre cable, overrunning existing eircom fibre in most areas so they don't have to pay eircom to use their cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

If duct is all there and ready to go and no issues, you'll be connected on the day.

NBI and the taxpayer are in effect transferring tax payer monies to Eircom to fix & maintain poles. I look at my road, I'm fairly sure out of 10 houses, all occupied that we're the only one with a landline connection now. It costs about €700 annually to keep it and we'd drop it only it's useful for the odd bit of business. Telecom Eireann used to maintain the poles, there was a local maintenance chap covering an area. Eircom? Never seen them doing any maintenance since they took over. Odd time the line gets cut by hedge cutting they come out after a few days. I expect that's part of the reason why we're well down the NBI list, the rotting poles will all have to be replaced and the taxpayer will pay Eircom to do this, a job they couldn't be arsed to do as a private company.

Meanwhile a well maintained ESB pole network well away from any hedge cutting issues exists most places, including here… questions.

I agree with you as regards to the maintenance of the telecom infrastructure, too many owners over the years extracting cash and neglecting the network.

We too got rid of our landline over 2 years ago, my brother beside us 1 year ago. At over 4 km from the exchange it was practically useless for broadband and constant faults with the ageing copper.

As regards pole replacement, duct repair etc this is being done at their own expense and not with state subsidy. NBI pay for shared access to the infrastructure.

With their new owner and both their own and NBI's fibre rollout there appears to be an incentive to upgrade the infrastructure.

During their own rural fibre rollout here a few years ago eircom mapped and replaced any defective poles across the whole exchange area at the time, even those beyond their then rollout, back again to replace others

As regards the NBI rollout we don't know what criteria they are using to rollout to particular areas but I'd doubt it would include the odd cable being cut during hedge cutting.

I'd guess most overhead cables are damaged by falling trees/branches during a storm or due to tree felling and this would apply rurally nationwide. Happened around here with eir fibre and took up to a week to repair.

An advantage the ESB has over eircom is their wayleave to install poles away from the roadside and trees, in fields etc while eircom has to install roadside.

Post edited by The Cush on

I see what you mean. However if I instance the local landline pole network here, I very much doubt if Eircom would ever upgrade them based on landline income. They'd just let them rot, patch up the odd one and eventually say to the odd customer - sorry, it's not worth our while to sustain a landline service here.

However with the NBI/ Taxpayer money, they likely will eventually come and replace the poles, tidy up as there is money in it for them. I suspect they have have areas categorised as suitable for immediate roll out and other areas like ours which have been neglected and allowed run down. This is turn will affect how soon NBI get here.

The odd thing is that out of the 10 houses I mentioned above in the space of a kilometre, I reckon 9 would take up and make use of fixed broadband. That's 9 customers for x amount of effort. Whereas NBI are going many miles down the west in places to service a small handful of potential customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've no information to base this on other than perception tbh. The plan is being delivered at an accelerated rate and by all metrics so far appears to have been planned implemented and delivered in a value for money. Despite covid.

You have to assume your making this fairly personal to your own road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You seem to be missing the point that Eir also need the poles to run their own fibre. In my area most of the properties are serviced by open Eir fibre. They left small a number of properties at the end of the fibre run that will be serviced by NBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22425092/ (starts at 9.05)

Radio One's Claire Byrne interviews Minister Ossian Smyth on the NBP.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, they've run their cable to village about 3 kms away. But can't be arsed going any further than that, likely too much cost in their view.

So this is where NBI is supposed to intervene, come in here and pick up the slack, i.e. the taxpayer will pay towards Eircom/ Eir costs ultimately to replace the poles. A network of poles that is increasingly not being used for landlines and which would likely be allowed to rot. It's a mad system.

You'll get your Internet but it might be next year. Note there will be people in cities not serviced by any of this with less than 1/4 line to home speed options that you'll get.

Nice position to be in all things considered.

Can you explain the situation of those in urban areas? What's the limiting factors there?

They're mostly covered by cable, virgin etc around 250mb lines. NBP won't cover those areas. You'll get access to 1gb - 2gb fibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Many urban areas are still using copper wire which is a limiting factor. Open Eir is currently upgrading urban areas to fibre. I believe the copper wire network is due to be shutdown by 2030 but the EU are pushing for an earlier date.

Discussed to death here prior to contract award. Eircom picked the low hanging fruit for their rural fibre rollout following their failure to get the NBP contract.

My own village, there are houses near the exchange that won't be covered by eir fibre and this week contractors were around running ducting for the NBI rollout including a duct to house near to the exchange .

A nearby small town has a lot of houses in the centre in the NBP and NBI ran a duct there in recent weeks.

It's madness that eircom aren't even connecting houses in small urban areas close to their exchanges but this is how the NBP works.

That's pretty reasonable compared to what we achieve here currently. I run a business and have to resort to portable drives by post when I need to down or upload larger files. Would have been in the first 1% of customers around here taking up broadband solutions over the years. Known to salesmen of Telecom and Eircom etc. Promise this, that and the other but could never deliver. So you can see why I roll my eyes when I hear of some remote valley or isolated house in a bog getting fixed line broadband. It is what it is though and it'll either eventually come, or they'll run out of money or some new tech will replace. We can manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Are there many Virgin areas left that top out at 250? I would think the bigger issue in urban areas is where there is no Virgin but VDSL where people are on between 30Mpbs (cut off for NBI) and 100Mbps (upper limit)? I think as well if Eir said they plan to upgrade there could be sub 30Mbps connections excluded because they are "planned" for commercial coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 pacman114

Have had Vodafone NBI for a while now and am thinking or switching to eir. I assume eir will use the existing NBI fibre cable coming into the house? Will the ONT change? Currently have a Nokia one…thanks!

• Advertisement

Advertisement