Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Phobia = irrational fear of something.

I think homosexuals are great, I do not fear them.

It is less likely that a gay will mug me, burgle my house, etc., compared to non-homosexuals.

They seem to be more creative, singers, music, cinema, etc. Great contributions to society.

But I am against same-sex marriage, as marriage is a union of a man and a woman. I do not accept any other definition.

Opposition to SSM is not homophobia.

In the same way, opposition to illegal immigration is not racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd think there's a broad spectrum of views on LGQTQ+ concerns in Ireland. Many people are within the community, others are supportive and some want to push hate, violence and discrimination.

The same is true for people from other cultures. It's your catch-all generalizations to the opposite that are hateful.

As for your claims about 'degenerates' and people who are 'morally, physically and mentally' undesirable you didn't talk specifically about people coming here, you also clarified directly that you hold these views towards the Irish undocumented living abroad. As far as I can tell your beliefs apply to any person in general who breaks the law, is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The people of Ballyboden were one step ahead of the owner. And note how nobody wants it described as 'domestic terrorism' anymore . Terrorism isnt covered on Insurance polices €€€

It's hilarious given all the disdain shown here towards neoliberal ideology, that the former leader of Ireland's neo-liberal party has become something of a hero figure.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Progressive-Democrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Bogus is pretty explicit by definition. I don’t think it’s being used as adjective to stereotype all international protection applicants, however I do think the vast majority of international protection applicants are in fact making bogus applications hence the use of the term.

Bogus - not genuine or true (used in a disapproving manner when deception has been attempted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Yvonne007

The phrase "degenerates" relates to people whose morals are not normal or desirable.

In much they same way as I would be a degenerate if I wanted to parade topless in a muslim country while drinking.

In the south of france that would be is normal and, in my earlier days, desirable to most.

It isn't hard to not break the laws. If you don't like the laws of the land, or your culture makes it difficult to not break the law, then LEAVE.

We shouldn't be tolerant to others inability to break our laws, in much the same way other countries should be able to govern how they feel appropriate.

I do have to admire your lack of self awareness when you accuse me of using "catch-all" statements and in the same sentence where you use LGBTQ+ (the ultimate catch all).

You yourself said that you would expect to see Iraqi people over represented in sexual harrassment reports due to their culture. Yet somehow you try to allude that my generalisation of other cultures being less tolerant towards homosexuality than ours is somehow wrong or hateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a couple of lads from Jordan gave an an interview. €150 each from Belfast in a taxi is what they pay to come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Walking down from Charlemount, I see there are 30-40 tents back along the Grand Canal, and they are pitching their tents inside the steel fences erected to keep them out. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Gusser09

And once the IPAS office establish this they should be putting these chancers on the next plane to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The PDs certainly weren't everyone's cup of tea but they provided a very useful function. They were a good counterweight to the leftward drift of successive Governments.

The Irish electorate in their wisdom decided to obliterate them from the political landscape in 2007. Now we're scratching our heads wondering why the Dail in 2024 is chock-a-block with extreme leftwing nutjobs while people like McDowell are confined to the Seanad.

It'll be at least a decade or more before a new right of center party forms and gains any traction.

This is what we chose - now we live with the consequences.

You didn't give the answer I asked for. Do you consider everyone who breaks the law 'degenerate', a term you defined as 'morally, physically or mentally' undesirable? Or is it reserved for certain people who migrate, Irish or otherwise?

There's a world of difference between saying a group would be over-represented and making hateful generalizations. Based on what I know of criminal statistics, I expect people who are unemployed or even poorer to be over-represented in prisons. It would however cross a line into hateful rhetoric to go around talking about poorer people as criminal, or even 'degenerate', in the broader sense.

edit corrected typo

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're fine with what PD governments did around privatizing health and housing in the 90's and 00's, once this 'leftward drift' was kept at bay?

What do you mean then by this 'leftward drift'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 euzyqua

Elsewhere I saw this comment posted regarding teacher shortages

Right, we have a shortage of;

• prison spaces
    • hospital beds
    • houses
    • student accommodation
    • Doctors/Nurses/Healthcare staff
    • Hotels
    • Crèches
    • Teachers
    • Garda
    • Public transport
    • Tradesmen

How can anyone square the idea that, a million migrants later, we have somehow ended up with less than ever?

The answer is practically dictionary-definition, both primary and secondary effects included: it begins with an "o", ends with an "n", 14 letters long that describes too much of the thing at play.

A geo-social phenomenon that one day, sooner than later, everyone is going to have to accept for one simple reason, it is the truth. The fact of the matter.

The Asylum industry and its pains in placing people is simply inescapable in proving the term, but it's no more than a very visible bruise beneath which lies the much greater damage.

The dictionary defined it. I didn't.

If you don't like the word, thats on you. I won't tailor my language for your sensibilities.

But oh, what is that? ANOTHER mistake/misrepresentation.

The definition I quoted said: "having lost the physical, mental, OR moral qualities considered normal and desirable"

You changed the very important OR to AND. That changes things considerably and is another lie and doesn't tie into what I had previously stated and makes the word somewhat more hostile and, I dunno, "hateful" than it was. I wonder why you would do that?

I called people who commit crimes degenerates. I said we have enought criminals/degenerates of our own without allowing others in from other countries / allowing them to stay here, after commiting crimes.

Then refer back to my definition. Would you not agree that anyone who commits a crime (again, as said before, depending on the circumstance, motive, impact on the victim etc, not mistapping innocently on the leap card reader), loses the moral quality which would be considered normal or desirable?

Bizarrely, you think that the word degenerate is more of a problem than illegal immigration/asylum seekers.

I can't be responsible for what you find offensive, or heaven forbid, hateful.

Only you know your "ouchy" words.

Post edited by Yvonne007 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

So you cannot back up your statement. I'm glad we clarified that your "facts" are imaginary.

I've corrected the typo.

I just find it a very extreme position to consider everyone who breaks the law as 'having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable"

You do know we're talking here about people who've been drunk in public, bought fireworks over the border, smoked a joint, or people in the north who've broken hate laws by calling for mass deportations and talking about 'bogus' asylum seekers.

Thanks for clarifying your position.

I do consider hateful rhetoric a bigger threat to the country than 'illegal' immigration/asylum seekers. It's bad enough for what it is in itself, but more-so how it feeds the very real violence and destruction we've seen on our streets. Also I believe it poses a threat to our social cohesion by wrongly labelling people from other groups as inferior or dangerous. Many of these people will continue to live in our communities, their children will go to school with ours and they'll work in vital and important jobs. Their best interests are now intertwined with ours and that language harms our communities.

If you can't respect the laws of the land and have wilfully broken a law in a country you were not born in, you shouldn't expect that country to want you to remain there. If you are seeking asylum, you should go out of your way to ensure you don't even accidentally break a law. You should be so grateful for the opportunity and respectful to the citizens of that country, even if it goes against the societal norms you grew up in.

And it's painfully obvious that you think that a subjective thing like hateful rhetoric as more of an issue than a glaring immigration problem that is in front of your face.

A threat to social cohesion, is men living in government assisted shanty towns in our city centre.

If you come to my country legally and respect our laws, you are as welcome as anyone else. If you purposefully enter without documentation, break our laws and/or threaten our citizens, I don't want any type of cohesion. I want them gone.

There is no reason this particular issue, and by extension its much larger sibling of migration at large, should be political.

It is practically scientific.

If parts of the country were collapsing into the sea, taking housing with it, key personnel with it, hospitals with it, schools with it, and everything else, this wouldn't be a political issue.

However, add in that very particularly placed people are making fortunes off the literal collapse into the sea, and now it becomes a "political" issue.

Exactly so, that's what's happening right now. A supremely simple issue that everyone wants solved, ie stopped, muddied and politicised into something suddenly "complex".

Just imagine a different landscape, say 1980's ireland, and a million people start rocking in, thered be no if's, but's or maybe's about the reaction of the irish population with no money to funnel. Abrupt reaction, you might even say.

• Advertisement

Ah so it's the insurance companies that are picking up the tab for all this destruction.

Do you think they'll pass that cost to the premiums of hard-working Irish folk or not?

I just don't see a 'glaring immigration problem' to be honest, at least not in respect of IPAs.

We're actually talking about a relatively very small group of people coming here over the last twenty years. I estimate there's probably about 80-120k living here who've come through this route.

As I believe was the case prior to the last economic crash, I think an inordinate amount of ire is being directed towards this group, taking focus from more important issues around health and housing.

Please forgive me for not paying any attention to your facts/figures/estimates.

You have proven to be inconsistent at best.

If you don't see swathes of foreign men living in tents in our capital city as a problem, our hotels being surrendered to migrants, small towns doubling in size because of housing the newcomers, then you are either blind or you're lying.

I based that estimate on the number of arrivals over the last twenty years (140k), the number of deportations, most recent figures for the number of refugees living in the state, and the numbers who applied for the asylum amnesty.

But of course it's more accurate to talk about 'swathes of foreign men'.

As I've said previously I do think how we accommodate asylum seekers is handled very poorly. Housing and services in general are in a terrible state, to which IPAs have had very little impact. Thanks in no small part to our anti-immigration movement I expect to see little change in that regard over the next five years. Opposition to the current government has become fractured and voters appear to be shifting to the center, to counter the rise in extremism and violence associated with anti-immigration sentiments and rhetoric.

You have admitted that you have been proven wrong on multiple occassions when stating statistics as fact so yes, me talking about swathes of men living on in tents by a canal is more accurate as it's observable and verifiable by just having a quick walk around mount street or citywest.

Back onto the topic in hand though, i do agree that how we handle asylum seekers is handled very poorly. Your issue is that you think we are housing them poorly. My issue is that we are allowing too many in and especially those that arrive without documentation. I think if you have manged to board a plane with a document, and in transit it goes "missing" should be an immediate disqualification.

If you are here to claim asylum, the very minimum requirement should be the ability to provide verifiable documentation to prove who you are, your past criminal record and a genuine reason why we should accept you, rather and "well you offer me more money and benefits than other places" doesn't cut it for me. If you were genuinely fleeing asylum, you would remain in the closest possible country to the one you are fleeing which didn't put you at risk and/or held the same cultural values that you believe in.

I haven't been proven wrong on multiple occasions when stating statistics. I made a very minor error on quoting number of arrivals from twenty years ago which I immediately acknowledged.

As for all this talk about 'swathes' of men, 'safe' countries, vetting, keeping similar cultures together, welfare tourism etc, etc, etc. All it's doing is causing division and driving people towards the political status quo. We're now most likely looking at five more years of little or no change in how we provide services and manage housing. Thanks.

You also misquoted what I said, you also admitted that 30 year old facts that you presented were not accurately portrayed.

Acknowledging a mistake is a good trait, but it doesn't lend credibility to any argument you make when you continue to make mistakes over a matter of days.

I haven't tried to, or want to cause division. I want the country united in how we deal with immigration. Safe, verifiable and sustainable.

At the moment, you have unvetted men living in tents around the country, some from countries who have little cultural similarity to ours, some who openly have distain for our culture, and yet your main problem seems to be "ouchy words" that you find hateful.

I don't want your thanks, but you're welcome. I'll continue to be vocal about wanting a safe, verifiable and sustainable immigration system while you just tell us that there is nothing to see here.

More than a whiff of Comical Ali about your posts. (aging myself there)

It's a bit of a glass half full, half empty question. Maybe not.

The sheer volume of headlines related to not enough this and not enough that, from staff to prisons to housing to teachers to creches to schools to transport and everything else in between is eye-catching, to say the least.

My own personal opinion is that were this under different circumstances, let's say the 1990's for example, then you really would be left with bewilderment.

However, with the rapid and voluminous population increase of recent times, a literal record population since the inception of the Republic, I can't help but come to the conclusion that what we are witnessing in real time is the effect of overpopulation.

It doesn't take much to overpopulate a "habitat", humans or animals or microorganisms, all the same. Consider that just the addition of one or two extra people into most people's homes would cause chaos. Just so for a country at scale.

When a phenomenon can be readily and accurately described in just one word, rather than 20 purportedly unrelated mini phenomenon, surely the universal descriptor is most knowledgeable and informative?

On the otherhand, the government seem to be sitting a on a pile of money with next to nothing to show for it. Which is equally bizarre.

"Ireland is full" is a phrase that has been turned into some kind of political statement and is practically useless for discussion now. Overpopulation on the other hand is an umbrella term for a set of genuine statistics.

There is obviously ideological agenda at play in this situation and quite simply that shouldnt be the case. This is practically a scientific issue, it is at least logistical. If we could focus on genuine evidence and statistics in a discussion it could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Quags

You have to hand it to posters in here, on this thread daily without fail. Same replies from them!!

If you leave the site & this thread more so, honestly you become more at ease with what’s happening. The Gov isn’t coming to help, just look at the canals again. Those who are paid for protect us aren’t doing it either “homeless Romanian bailed on a sexual assault”

And this isn’t right against left, it’s all centred and leads back to the Gov & their cronies.

Who do you vote for in the GE? Doesn’t matter cause they all have the policies deep down. Those who get special contracts know a minister so handy gig for them

If your not in the circle then your just a pawn to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No, Ireland isn’t overpopulated, it’s our infrastructure which is underdeveloped.

Advertisement