Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever have a problem competing unfairly against a state body?

• 21-08-2024 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

State bodies get a free pass on unfair competition. I am curious to see how many Irish SME / individuals have noticed this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What business are you running that you are competing against a state body in? Airports? Buses? Bins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Tender2023

Agriculture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Could you possibly give a little more detail about your problem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Tender2023

I think it is more of a general problem for SMEs that just for me. We had a lot of competition from state agencies over the years. In 2013 I met the competition authority and they said they would not take a case against a fellow state agency. The term I remember is "We will not bite the hand that feeds us". In 2023 i did an FOI with ccpc.ie and discovered that no SME ever succeeded in getting protection against a state agency. Effectively the state has a system to create whatever service they like, via any state agency, and no existing SME (providing the same service) can stop this. I know a number of companies in my business area that suffered from this lack of adherence to fair competition. I assume there must be a lot in other business areas as well. I am interested to link up and hear their stories as well.

Advertisement