Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband switch deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭creedp

Just noticed that only Vodafone and Eir include a phone service with their fibre broadband plans. I currently have a phone service with Vofafone and while I rarely use it, its a nice to have option. Am I correct in thinking I'm limited to Eir (1gb) and Vodafone I I want fibre broadband and phone service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My Eir 500 meg 12 months contract is now expired.

I calle he yesterday and they are pushing me to a new 2 year contract. I don't liectheia of a two years contract. Are all providers goingbthectwo years contract option? If not I'll contact Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No, I'm with Pure and have the phone also…500mb for €35 per month, was with Sky fiber before that and also had the landline.

Thanks for clarification. I've just spoken to Virgin Media rep and advised yes to phone but at an additional cost of €3 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

How do people find vodafone as a fiber broadband provider, we are wireless as fiber is only going live within the next few weeks. What’s their customer service like to deal with if there is an issue and are they reliable. Currently with ivertec and have never really had to pick up the phone to them but Vodafone working out cheapest.

Always found them OK over last 2 years. Only downtime related to NBI fibre damage/fault. They had billing issue over last few months which were annoying but ultimately resolved. Didn't like the 16% inflation based increase on my €35pm payment in April (calc based on 7.6% increase on prediscounted €75pm rate which was a bit sneaky as the increase was not discounted accordingly) but these increases it seems to apply to multiple providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got the option of 1 or 2 years from eir. I went with 1

Sorry for multiple posts but am being hard sold benefits of 1gb over 500mb service for better latency etc. Have people who upgraded to 1gb notice any appreciable improvement in quality of service? Is it worth €10pm for a normal household?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Genuinely I don't think it is. I went from 1gig with VM to 500 with Pure telecom and couldn't tell the difference, everything still works perfectly, sky downloads etc are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Your mileage may vary but I spent a year and a half with vodafone. First six months were perfect in every way, then I got a call offering to add tv to my fibre and phone (500mb) package for an extra fiver a month on a new 12 month contract (so €45 a month for tv, fibre and phone). They didn't install the tv for 2 months and didn't activate it for another 5 or 6 and then for the entirely of the new contract they messed up my bill every single month without fail resulting in my spending at least 30 minutes on the phone every month, most times having to send my copy of my contract to them and them promising it would never happen again. As soon as my new 12 month contract was up at the end of March I left them and, I'm not joking, I still have to contact them every month because I keep getting texts and emails about my latest bill.

Having said that, if I had to choose between vodafone and eir as the only providers available, I'd still choose vodafone but those two are the bottom of the barrel for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

called sky & at 30 euro PM at the minute - up to 500mb - contract up in less than a month.

they offered 5 euro off,so 55 per month,dropped them like its hot!

vodafone 1gb siro- 35 a month works out(30 6months and 40 subsequent 6).

job done

Good deal. That's the exact offer I got for renewing a 500mb contract with 1gb at €45/€55pm. As I said to them your business model is designed to reward customer disloyalty which seems bizarre to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

It must pay them to keep chasing/attracting new customers and hope existing customers just get lazy/comfortable.

I would be more understanding of that approach if the contract would roll over at current rates but if I didn't actively engage with VF to renew my contract I would move onto an out of contract undiscounted rate of €80pm. You'd want to be fairly oblivious of you finances to allow that to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Ah yes, now I remember what Vodafone were like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

For anyone thinking of leaving Eir: I was on the 500Mb plan which was 34.99 when I signed up and now 39.99 with the CPI increase. I just rang Eir to cancel as I was planning on taking Digiweb up on their 1GB Siro plan for 39.99 a month and Eirs counter offer was 34.99 for 12 months and they upped the speed from 500Mb to 1Gb. Yes it includes CPI increase but he did say you're allowed recontract 2 months early which will negate the increase for 2 months roll around next year which I'm happy about. I'm no Eir fan by any means but was shocked by how easy this was and took exactly 20 mins from dialling 1901 to resigning and ending the call so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

CPI 14% increase is excessive. (5/34.99)

Same issue with Vodafone, the increase was 7.6% but on the undiscounted figure of €75 and not the actual monthly payment of €35

Im trying to decide if worth moving to Virgin Media 1gb from VF 500mb. Both are same price. €460 for 12 month contract. One question would a new VM router perform better than a 2 year old VF router? I'm doubting is the 1gb service will be a noticeable upgrade but maybe worthwhile moving for an updated router. Any views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is anyone else who upgraded to eirs 1gb broadband having issues with speed. I'm getting under 200mb. With the 500mb package I had the last 5 years I got 480 consistently.

They reset my modem over their system yesterday as there was a technical issue with their broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Sky 500 mbps was €30/month. It got 60/month after 12 months. I called Sky and haggled with them. They agreed for 30/month for 12 months. Quite happy 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

3 years with VF , first 2 years I contracted and they removed it, 3rd year they just agreed to fixed contract price for the year and since you stay on that price afterwards , told me to just recontract each April going forward to avoid it, If I wished to remain with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Helpful Engineer

A sales guy called to my door and convinced me to change my broadband to Virgin from Vodafone to save a few bob every month. But Vodafone cut me off immediately and Virgin have been slow to connect me, so I am without internet all day today and maybe tomorrow. Not sure it's worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seems to be more to that story. In general switching is not that much hassle.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

After this ^^^ I had an email on foot of contacting Pure for my UAN which I couldn't find on my account 🤦‍♀️

Offering me a new 12 month deal at €35, same as others her have been offered at renewal. More than happy to accept that and continue with Pure.

sky originally came back with 55 per month for BB only up from 30,said no thanks and started to move to VF for 35.

then a few days later called me and offered 30 per month for 12 months,cancelled VF and all is good.

My OAP dad is with Eir and his bill is crazy at 97 per month BB & phone with some addons/safe monitoring alarm i think plus calls to US availability (i am reviewing asap tomorrow with them- Eir to figure out what exactly is included in this).

just looking for BB and nothing else.

Alternatives as he has is SIRO enabled, are VF(420),Pure(460) & Digiweb(510) for FTTH 1GB ,anyone have experiences with any of them?

any suggestions?

thanks

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

if he being with them a long time, check to see if there Charing him rental for the landline phone handset. his bill would also be increasing every year due the annual price increase in April. so next year he paying over 100 euro if left alone.

I would switch provider in spite of them ripping him off so much

pure for 1gb @40 euro PM could be the shout,like to give an Irish company a twist

• Advertisement

Exactly, I wouldn't contact them at all I'd just switch him to a new provider. They were doing the same with my father, charging him for a handset that hadn't been used in years (not thrown out though heaven forbid) a mailbox service that my sister changed the password on and then couldn't remember it etc etc. I moved him to sky not a bother with the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

Handset charge would be minimal compared to the rest.But no necessity to continue paying and Eir or any other provider not interested in getting it back.

Signed up to Pure

got router but its a Huawei home gateway as opposed to Frizzbox that i was promised on sign up.

not happy about that for starters,but whats the next steps to get active with Pure?

I have no account to log into as yet and dont want to set up router(move from Eir) as everything working atm.

out of contract with Eir but they are paid up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭John arse

No expert here by any means but you’ll need to fire up the new router sooner or later,you can always go back to the old one if you're still connected to EIR I assume. Regarding equipment well you’ll have to talk to them about that. I have found PURE speeds absolutely fine but my main recommendation is that they charge you what they are meant to charge you when they're meant to charge as opposed to Vodafone who regularly tried to rob me .

You need to plug in the router, it's actually a very good router it has WiFi 6 which is why they're using it. You can change the SSID and password to the Eir ones for a seamless transition.

no account info as yet from Pure though.

also couldn't find any setup info for router either in packaging.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The modem login details are usually on a label fixed to the back or bottom of the modem. If you haven't got its user manual you should be able to find one online.

called Pure

all set thanks for the info on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭lau1247

You didn't manage to haggle in the 1gb speed increase did you?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement

no ,didnt even think of it tbh! shudda! damn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A point that that is rarely mentioned, is whether the ISP allows the ability to use ones own Router, through bridging.

Being locked in to using the ISP's Router and its limitations, seems to be the norm these days though, sadly.

Definitely not the case with ftth as the "modeming" is already done at the point of entry. With VM co-ax you simply contact them and ask for bridge mode to be enabled on their modem then put your router behind it. Fttc logon details are always available from the provider.

Still on VM 250MB, for fear of not being able to use my own router.

Probably still stuck in the 2012 mindset regarding bridging. You raise a great point, @CoBo55 regarding fibre. Never thought about that scenario. Food for thought, cheers.

I read that people online with FTTH in other countries are able to use their own equipment, but could be completely wrong.

Either way for one i value using a good Router, that has not been nerfed and not potentially being stuck behind CGNAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Naa I was happy with €30 a month for 500 MBPS, especially given that's the cheapest 12- month deal at the moment.

Any VM router can be bridged from the white one onwards, in saying that 250 meg is more than enough for anyone. I don't understand what nerfed or cgnat means. I think providers have finally copped on and are supplying reasonably decent routers now, the one I got from Pure is great, I plugged it in in April and haven't had to go near it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭savemejebus

On openeir ftth I've never had an issue using my own equipment for the internet part. Would only have had to bridge to use the phone service with vodafone as they wouldn't give sip details but for the actual broadband any provider i've used (airwire, pure, vodafone) have happily given me login details to use my own equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Siro use pppoe, which usually means username: sky password: sky or something like that, so it's really easy to use your own router.

A good router would also let you spoof a mac address, so if they check for that, a very easy workaround. (Nobody I've been with have - sky, voda, pure so far)

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Assumed there was a trend of not allowing ones own Router to be properly bridged, which seems to be far from correct.

Just so i explain the previous point a little better, the ability to put the ISP Router into Modem mode (and then bridge ones own Router), is what i am on about.

Not just adding a Router and experiencing a Double NAT situation, as a result.

Possibly living in the past and this is just a coaxial thing

(By nerfing i mean not having the ability to login as root using SSH etc, and CGNAT hampers the ability to be connectable to download Linux ISO's)

Anyways appreciate the input folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

With SIRO or fibre you don't even need to use the providers router so no double NAT or bridging needed.

The ONT (the small box that the fibre connects) is the modem.

Free to use your own router, mesh system or whatever equipment you have, once you have the ISP login credentials. These are widely available.

I'm on SIRO with Sky using Google Nest direct to ONT. Can switch to Pure next time & just change login details on Nest & I'm online again.

Post edited by ongarite on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭feargantae

Do you mind giving more details about getting Google Nest Wifi working with Sky SIRO? I've tried using the "broadband@skydsl broadband" details but it won't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement