Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LSL to charge for the App

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In a local mart all heifer calves sold in the calf ring are assumed not suitable for breeding. There's a sign in the ring to make sure everyone sees. T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

Is the usual reason a heifer is announced as not suitable for breeding they are a freemartin?

I must enquire in the mart if that's hhe policy...I don't think it is as heifers are just sold away and only occasionally do you hear not suitable for breeding......Although you occasionally hear one correct and right for breeding too.....hope that doesn't mean the other ones are assumed not to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Most likely freemartins. Even heifers born single not all are engineered correct for breeding.

So it seems mart didn't have time to be the go between calf sellers and the herd the heifer ended up as a 2, 3 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭grass10

You are correct about the incalf/ not incalf rules but in any ordinary general cattle sale their is no guarantee that any heifer is suitable for breeding unless the sale is a special breeding sale or she is declared as correct and right for breeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No it wasn't announced. We noticed a swelling on her hock area so OH phoned the farmer to see if she was treated. He said that he forgot to mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭V6400

I've had the misfortune of being stung enough times buying heifers for breeding that weren't suitable that I looked into it with 2 mart managers and a solicitor. The answer was that if a farmer could reasonably foresee a reason why the heifer would not be suitable for breeding he is liable for costs if it is not disclosed during a sale. I've never followed up on it myself and was only enquiring out of curiosity/ frustration but if I'm ever selling a freemartin I'll announce it. I've also sold heifers as suitable for breeding when I've had them scanned but only as a selling pitch for a fancy heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭grass10

Heifers that you purchased that didn't go incalf what you should do with them is sell them to the lads that put animals through mart rings with a declaration that the owner hasn't seen the heifers with a few weeks and cannot guarantee if they are incalf or not and the heifers visibility heavy incalf I bet those lads would get any heifers incalf

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭V6400

What I do if I've found an issue is announce it. I'm not going to go out to screw anyone especially seeing as most lads out buying the heifers are just an average farmer like myself trying to make a few pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When we have mixed sex twins from the sucklers I write on the top right hand of blue card as soon as I receive it "FREEMARTIN" and highlight it with a highlighter pen. That way if I'm selling them I know who the freemartins are and can point them out in the field to potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

See LSL are back tracking a bit more:

According to LSL Auctions: “This will ensure all clients of each mart (buyers and sellers) are not affected in any way by the introduction of the membership.

“Users who are not clients of an auction/mart will be required to be member of LSL to view that specific location.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Online mart viewing and bidding platform LSL Auctions has confirmed to Agriland that there will be no charge for existing customers of each mart to view or bid on the online platform for the specific mart or marts where they are an existing customer.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/lsl-auctions-no-charge-for-mart-specific-farmer-customers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭emaherx

I almost feel sorry for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Naillers

So now the marts have to supply login details to their customers.... Before 01/September ...LSL Should now delay plans for 01/September take a step back to figure out a way out of this mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭kk.man

It was going to happen once one of the others confirmed they would not charge. Don't worry the seed has been set they will all take more from the marts which will be passed to the buyer and seller whether on line or not. Great little ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭flyer_query

Thats a bit harsh (and the Ireland bashing a bit daft, do you think private companies in other countries give away their services for free?). There are plenty of lads watching marts to pass the time of no benefit to either the mart or LSL. They are getting a free service of both the marts who pay LSL and LSL themselves having to provide the infrastructure. Let them pay a service fee similar like they would have to for a service like sky tv or the farmers journal.

I think its a good compromise.

This country is expensive for almost everything and now you agree we should pay another direct debit. The on line thing has been the biggest game changer in the marts since the auction system was introduced in the 50s. I am a shareholder in a co op mart and I have not got a single cent in dividends let them suck it up. Did you see the wages on those annual accounts it's a cosy cartel for the few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭flyer_query

My reading of the compromise (post backlash) is that there will be no charge for your mart, only a charge for marts you are not a member of. I might be reading it wrong.

If I am understanding correctly then it seems like a reasonable approach, as I said in my post no reason why non members of a mart should be getting a free ride of members who are paying for the LSL.

It's a constant reverse from LSL it wasn't what they were proposing when they announced the charge imo. They got stranded on an island when the others didn't follow.

Advertisement