Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools Dublin 15

• 21-08-2024 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

Hi all, I’m planning to move into the Dublin 15 area. I’m looking for advice on the secondary schools before I move so I can be in the right catchment area. My daughter has some learning difficulties so academics are not the priority. I believe with the right help and support she’ll reach her potential and that’s why I want the best school for her. Edmund Rice College seems very good but I believe it’s very hard to get into. I would appreciate any advice. Any threads I’ve looked at are a good few years old. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If you are living in the catchment area for Edmund Rice (i.e. Castleknock), then she is almost guaranteed to get in, they have been taking plenty kids from outside the catchment area the last few years but that won't last forever. It is supposed to be excellent for kids with additional needs, it's a brand new building which is always good and it's getting rave reviews.

Castleknock Community College has the best reputation academically and is in the highest demand but you'll need to be living in the catchment area. Things got pretty hairy for this year's intake of 1st years with some people in the area having to go on the waiting list for quite a while but I believe everyone got an offer in the end. Here's the catchment area; Castleknock Community College (castleknockcc.ie)

After that, there's a heap of schools for kids in the Blanch/Clonsilla/Mulhuddart areas which are all decent but no stand-outs, Coolmine maybe the pick of the bunch. There are some to avoid but I don't want to mention them here, it never ends well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Gate Automation

Price of houses to buy or rent in catchment of Castleknock Community College are hiked much above average, just because people wish send their pupils to this school. I don't know that it's still in use but it was rule that you must live in catchment area over 3 years to get a place in this school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There’s no minimum residency period, not these days anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Suzie9999

Hi thanks very much for your advice. I’m originally from the area but it’s nearly 30 years since I went to school in Blanchardstown 🙈 so a lot has changed!! I’m really leaning towards Edmund Rice so hopefully it works out 🤞

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

I think Edmund Rice is only in its second year of operation in the new building.

I live in Dublin 15 Clonee and enrolled my daughter to Edmund and Castleknock and Dunboyne along with a couple of other schools to start secondary last year.

Castleknock accepted no problem but ended up on the waiting list.

Edmund when I dropped it off basically laughed at me, saying yep will be in touch. I got PFO in the end.

We ended up in Setanta.

So once you are in the catchment there is a good chance.

The schools have a map usually in the office of the catchment if you really want to know.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement