Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Cran

used to pool, but based on advise from a vet now provide individual samples and let the vet/lab pool them. Find the results bit more consistent I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭jfh

Teaser ram ram let off with my ewes, is it 16 days, take him away and let the ram off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's vital to take the same size sample from each lamb alright. My OH uses a little plastic spoon, maybe 2ml.

We had a stupid one during the week, two samples came from a farmer, one from ram lambs and another from ewe lambs.

Ram lambs were 920 and ewe lambs were 320. I was talking to the owner today and asked what the history was.

They were in the same group, they went out and put the samples from each gender in separate bags as they were picking them up.

I think someone needs a lesson on how to do a sample, you really couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Had similar two years ago, split the ewe and ram lambs into two separate batches and 5 days later tested and the ram lambs came back 3 times higher than the ewe lambs, were both run together till then in the same grazing area, the vet that done the test said she had seen this happen a couple of times and had no answer. Lambs were dosed as per count and thrived away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone else's lambs very scuttery at the moment - it's literally running out of them at the minute. Charolais cross lambs.

There on nice fresh grass that was topped about a month ago.

I dosed them with Cydectin this evening so hopefully that will dry them up.

Would have been dosed with Zerofen up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You could have 2 problems there - wormer resistance and a sward lacking in herbal elements, low DM, heavy wet covers etc.

We regularily test scoury lambs seperately when we're testing the lambs for worms and they're no different than clean lambs.

They seem to dry up themselves after a few days .

We got 158 today for lambs, unfortunately only averaged 7.38/kg in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Friend of mine is after buying a purebred ram lamb. He isn't registered but for some scheme or another he is in he needs stars.. is there anyway of getting the ram DNA'ed or finding out what stars he has. I know nothing about sheep so any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ram has to be scheme eligible on day of purchase to qualify and won’t be accepted if SIS is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Sheep breeder thanks for the reply..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any experience with suftex rams? Looking to put something with Suffolk x mule ewes to breed a more speckled faced lamb. Or anyoother suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭148multi

Not too many lambs in the marts fed enough to make it, there seems to be great demand for well fed lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

Can a dose dry-up a lamb without it actually killing the worms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Who2

hi, I’ve a few pedigree Suffolk ewe lambs here that are well grown but not pushed that I was considering putting an easy lambing ram with.

I like the look of the borris type sheep and I was half tempted to try a Cheviot ram on, I know it’s the wrong way round but I thought it might be a nice type for a commercial ewe. Has anyone tried it or any other suggestions of a cross that might work without bursting them their first year round.

We're doing an interesting trial here, when we're weighing we divide the lambs into two groups according to thrive,

Under 200gm/day and over 200gms a day since the last weighing.

The lower thrivers have a lot higher worm counts and require dosing, and the faster thrivers haven't required dosing.

about half the lambs haven't required dosing since the nemo dose

That is interesting. How often do you FEC test?

We're weighing every fortnight now so we test then. most of the slow thrivers improve for the next weighing. some do very well, probably due to compensatory growth

These guys have been preaching it for the last few years

https://www.cotteragritech.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

yes I done that cross here years ago, the ewes weren’t pb but weren’t far off it.
    pros;

best mothers to mind lambs and had good milk.
    lambs done very well from them.

they seemed very clean

if crossed with a Suffolk again the lambs had a nice speckle to them-the ewe lambs went well in the mart.
    cons;

they were fierce strong big sheep, you’d want to be in tip top shape yourself to handle them, and they were a touch flighty.
    overall I think they were the best ewes we had here for years, and it only happened by accident when we got a Cheviot ram as part payment for something

thanks for that. We’re they easy lambed on strong ewe lambs say 60-70kg. That I don’t want to burst either. I was just trying to get some return and a few nice type replacements. Is there any other cross that I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Scotch ram lambs 30kg on meal. Eating about 600 gr per day. Good cover of flesh. Would it be better to sell now or feed on. Getting very expensive on meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are they on meal for the sheep scheme?

They're too light to finish on meal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes they will be used for scheme. The reason they are on meal is they are half twins and their mothers went to the hill with the other lamb after shearing. Last year I found that the lambs that remained on the lowland didnt do well. Doing very well this year with meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Tileman

got the fec sample today and huge resistant to yellow and white wormers here now.
    also cocida present.

What’s the best to treat cocidi.
    was recombined to treat that first then tackle the round worm present

Post edited by Tileman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

We never lambed ewe lambs here. I don’t recall any difficulties lambing them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any opinions on suftex and aber rams?

I like the Sufftex rams but I’m not a fan of the aberfields. I know one man who breeds them all the time and says that they are far easier lambed and take a lot less work. It’s just one of those breeds to me that doesn’t know whether it’s a goat a donkey a deer or a giraffe. They could be the most profitable but I wouldn’t like looking at them.

How many days after dosing with Endospec should I wait before doing a FEC test?

• Advertisement

Advertisement