Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingston story: Bidders fail to pay up for auctioned cows

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

whelan2 wrote: »
    When was farmer ed banned?

I think things got heated in an ifa thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The hysteria that followed this that there were dozens and dozens of more farms going to be repossessed never seemed to happen afterwards thankfully ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Who2

Timmaay wrote: »
    The hysteria that followed this that there were dozens and dozens of more farms going to be repossessed never seemed to happen afterwards thankfully ha

I know of three farms locally that are getting squeezed lately. It just seems to be years and years of solicitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Timmaay wrote: »

I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. The reality is that banks are less and less likely to lend into farm business's. The cheap loan scheme last year was a case in point. Banks used it as a method to reduce there exposure to overdraft's and short term lending, it was little use to the average mid sized farm.

I am an agnostic on repossessions of land or even house's. At the end of the time if banks cannot repossess they will charge higher prices or sell off loans to vulture funds.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Just see an old rerun on tv from their farm. What happened after? Did they get to retain it or was it sold off in bits and pieces?

I don’t know what happened after but Kingston repeated on nearly every Irish radio station at the time that the Phoenix would rise from the ashes again. The farm was up for sale after the auction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Heard he was importing holstein straws from the us, never heard anymore my vet does some work down around there is how I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I don’t know what happened after but Kingston repeated on nearly every Irish radio station at the time that the Phoenix would rise from the ashes again. The farm was up for sale after the auction.

He was in our place working one day a couple of months after the sale and said its was only half time and he'd the hill & wind in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Pidae.m wrote: »
    He was in our place working one day a couple of months after the sale and said its was only half time and he'd the hill & wind in the second half.

That kind of sounds like a mantra he’s telling himself. If it helps him, all power to him

Pidae.m wrote: »

His reason for getting big was that he could avoid work and be able to run the place on hired labour. That’s what I picked up from his interviews. It didn’t work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dakota Dan wrote:
    His reason for getting big was that he could avoid work and be able to run the place on hired labour. That’s what I picked up from his interviews. It didn’t work out well.

Alot of lads aspire for that, but I suppose it's all down to debt management and what your comfortable repaying. This year really has turned things upside down in that department.

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Alot of lads aspire for that, but I suppose it's all down to debt management and what your comfortable repaying. This year really has turned things upside down in that department.

You'd also want an excellent manager and pay him well, Kingston was trying to do it with cheap labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »

He would of had serious fun if he was still farming them 600 or so cows this yr and trying to buy in fodder from half of cork at 40e+/bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Dakota Dan wrote: »

If you can not do the job yourself don't get anybody else into to do it. Working for yourself is a seven day week job twenty four hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Danny healy ray

i see Peter kingston was in the prizes up at the Bailey cow at the virginia show today he is farming up around laffin in tipperary I hear you can't keep a good man down !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

A relation of mine got first prize for a sponge cake in tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

He’s farming just outside Cork city he son is farming in Tipperary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Tileman

did he keep the farm after iir did he lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pity he lost the place , no matter the back story but fair play he is cracking on again in another place.

Life can often be shi7, all we really have is the ability to dust oneself off and carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭visatorro

If you were owed a ball of money out of the place I wonder would you feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Aly Daly

There is a huge issue in this country generally with borrowing ,some have to be driving a brand new car & living in a mansion while trying to pay it back on the never never through an ordinary salary,the dairy sector in my own area will snap up any bit of land presumably in most cases with borrowed money,most of these guys would have a decent size herd to start off with but no it has to be bigger,I bought my own small farm 14 years ago with savings from 25 years in business but I would not have borrowed against it as I would be digging a hole for myself,its boring but people should learn to live within there means,credit is not always the solution & is often the ruination.

Advertisement