Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭alps

Don't think you're on the money on this one. VAT and 60% of the balance back is a sizable "gift".

There are loads of was of reducing tax. Needless spending is not one of them. I'm suggesting needless if someone is going to pay 60% of the item for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Why wouldn’t you take it unless it was costing you more to go grant spec. Paying the tax bull has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭straight

The reason lads aren't taking the grant is because they are ineligible due to not being compliant. All revenue streams are valuable. Tax can be dealt with after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Tileman

was €85 plus vat in 2021 when I was doing my shed here. Was €125 a few weeks ago for few meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

there sure are plenty of ways of reducing tax and my way is one. I need the tank, fed up drawing slurry out the road coming up to Christmas to another tank along with a lot more feed space available to cows to eat. Small to no tax bill for the next few years with the accelerated capital allowances

I wouldn’t hold my breath on us all being offered 60% grant. That should have been there 10 years ago if they were serious about water quality. Our current minister for ag is great at talking out of both sides of his mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Are ye talking about this new grant that was announced today, or TAMS in general for storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

I agree 100 percent this 60 percent grant will be a joke look at the lime scheme it was cheaper to spread before the scheme opened.i see one of the conditions of tilage men importing slurry is to build anything except a slatted tank slurry towers etc are ok probably to prevent small livestock farmers building cheap tanks and keep the money for the big boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Your bringing up a truth here....inelegibility to claim grant being currently non compliant, concern over existing planning status and concern that a new application will bring on Mr Sweetnam.

Will continuance of building without planning permission lead to issues further down the line?

If I recall Straight, did North Cork have an issue applying for retention on storage tanks because the bounded a pearl mussel river? Is there a chance that planning retentions cannot be applied for in certain SAC areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

maby they should of ….but we were told load the cows and worry about secondary stuff like sheds and storage later …I know we were restrained by quotas for years but any advisor you’d meet was advising above …slteady expansion with faciiities would of been better and who knows we may not be where we are now with nitrates /dero etc if we did

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Jack98

Cheap slurry storage to be got for you now, 70% grant if stocked under 150kg you must be closer to 100 sure than 150 with the huge bank of land you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Actually Our wires are crossed. The new 60% stand alone slurry storage with planning exemptions proposed yesterday by the minister is the one being discussed. The one you referenced is for slurry importers only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

you’ve hit the nail on the head there re compliance and then as alps has outlined concerns over me Sweetman

I'm not right about NC case, just looked it up.

They did apply for retention, however the decision to refuse retention was that because the development was near an SAC it required an Appropriate Assessemnt prior to an initial permission application.

Where Sweetnam seems to be holding up plannings is that he is claiming developments within 15km of SAC's require these AA's.

This could be where there might be a concern about subsequent retention applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Look its another scheme to help big farmers a small farmer is hardly going to build a slurry tower is he.

Why would you go looking for retention. If the building is in place 7 years with no complaints it can stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are totally incorrect. Even if you cannot write down all the capital investment with the grant you are a long way ahead. In general take my planned total investment over the next 2-3 years.

The shed and tank will probably be in the 100k bracket. I have got approved this year for fencing, mobile cattle penning head scoop and leghoist as well as a tine Harrow and air seeder. I also got a solar pump and a solar electric fence.

Heading towards. 130k+vat. Penning, house and head scoop are the only things no vat back on.

If if the grant on the tank is 60% total investment after drawing grant will be 52k. If the grant was 40% total investment net is 78k. If not grant and you shave a bit off it are you looking at 115k.

After depreciation the respective costs are 26, 39 and 57.5k.. As @alps and @mahoney_j have pointed out most lads doing outside of grant work have issues with planning around yard with non compliant work around yard.

30k is serious money to let behind you. However it coukd be more. Investment in tanks is rapid depreciation. And 100+k requires 12.5k/ year at high tax bracket if you have other depreciation already you could be looking at having 20k+ in avaliable depreciation. You may have other uses of available high tax funds.

As for these lads with the high tax bill if they did not get it for the tax they would have a loan for the non grant aided shed same sh!t just a different day.

Planning is everything and watching funds and cash flow are key. But not having a tax bill because of depreciation is poor financial planning. Usually the reason the tax bill is unmanagable is because when the money was flowing in the year before they did not put funds aside for the following years tax liability

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because you can never draw a grant while the yard is non compliant. It's a thing banks are looking at more and more especially where they are doing secured lending. Just because you do not have to knock it dose not mean you are planning compliant.

Slava Ukrainii

You may say that however lack of planning will remain a flaw on title. It doesn't exclude you from building regulations (specifications) and will come to light in any future applications be they for permission or subsequent grant application. Drawing in a risk period of 7 years following each manoeuvre of your business may not be the best management style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,694 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

BAnk wanted a copy of planning here at drawdown

My point is why build without planning and then go looking for retention before 7 years.
    It not true about being unable to draw a grant. I got the grant for my parlour and milk tank a few years back as when the planning inspector came out he just wanted to see I had enough tank space. He measured everything and was happy with my tanks, which were all built without planning .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A few thoughts on the grant scheme that's being discussed

I suspect if it goes a head it means theres a huge jump in slurry storage requirement s is on the way.

It may have to do more with the concrete federation lobbying than anything else because down this way the word is farm building and big civil work has stopped and its only housing keeping the show a float .

While well planned concrete always pays but in a company structure it has to stand on its own 2 feet more as government only pays for 12.5 % plus grant /vatwhereas in sole trader it pays for 50% + grant/vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Nail on head re concrete companies been down on orders, factory brothers draw out off is probably only operating at 60% of what cement was going out in 2022/early 23, farm building has all but stopped…

Export market has collasped aswell into england with hs2 been shelved, this company would of been able to export all its cement accross the water till the above was shelved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

THis grant seems aimed at tillage farmers for digestate storage from anaerobic digestors. I know a couple of tillage farmers approached by a company to put up slurry storage for this purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

we’re just going to have to disagree on this Bass. We’re in high tax bracket here and my slatted tank from 2018 is nearing its end in depreciation. Farm income is an awful lot higher than then and will be going forward. This will give at least 2 years with low tax bill to decide if we’re going have to go a company route or not. My business can afford the full cost with out the grant and that’s what we’re doing. I could have applied for the grant if I wanted but after seeing the **** show a local guy had this spring because he got held up with grant for a year I decided not to bother. I haven’t the time to go drawing slurry to a leased yard in late December, this spring I ended up drawing slurry to it in Feb which was a complete pain and I need the feed space. It’s not just being built for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭davidk1394

No electricity here. Won't be back until around 9.30. Must get a generator. Would ye go with an engine or pto generator? Around a 60kva 3 phase.j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭visatorro

PTO here aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is not the beauty of engine driven that it's a compact stand alone unit that you can wire up an automatic change over system that the power is only off for milliseconds?

The downsize of tractor being there could be something else on tractor when tractor is needed.

I'm saying this myself as I already have a 40kv pto generator but not wrapping taken off it yet. And I was thinking of trading back in for an engine driven one.

Advertisement