Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

People who travel 5 adults to a car are very much a tiny minority. If that was the norm, we wouldn't need to be having discussions around sustainability.

Not that the bus journey time you posted there isn't an issue. Prefer sustainable transport for the most part myself (lot less stress than driving for the decent bus routes) but would definitely be taking the car if it saved an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Why?

Practically every new album still gets a release on CD and vinyl as well as being available to download and stream.

Reissues & compilations are released on physical formats every week.

BDs and DVDs still selling. I watched 58 films in July (56 BDs, 2 DVDs). None of them were available on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Usually 4 of us go together as a family, car is electric so charged at low rate, way cheaper and quicker than the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Ok but we've gone from 100% of people consuming music or film/TV boxsets the way you describe to probably less than 10%...that doesn't suggest a viability of such an outlet in most shopping centres. I sometimes visit a Golden Discs if I'm killing time and I have the store to myself to just browse. I remember in the 90s/00s barely having space to browse the displays as you were banging elbows with all the other consumers.

I know there has been a vinyl renaissance and some people still buy DVDs but it seems very niche and I wonder is it sustainable? Streaming continues to increase market share every year too. Also, you are spending 100s a month on films assuming a tenner minimum per DVD...you really are in a less than 1% segment that would spend such a significant amount of money each month that way...I doubt such shops could profit alone from such an outlier segment of consumers. It is not reflective of a typical customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Well, at least there is still a Golden Discs branch in The Square, and the parking is cheaper (€1 for 2 or could be 3 hours). Though I hate The Square with a passion.

Also branches in Dundrum, Blanch, Swords, two in Dublin city centre and one in Cork.

Maybe the closure of the LV branch was more to do with the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Streaming has peaked at about 89% of album sales. There will always be a demand for physical media for the remainder so a small number of stores will be sustainable.

Vinyl gets all the headlines but that's because a new LP is 2.5 times the price of a CD so turnover from vinyl sales is greater. In terms of unit sales, CD is leading the market in UK, Germany, Japan and Australia. Vinyl is ahead in the USA (about a 57/43 split). I am not sure what the Irish figures are (they've always been hard to ascertain) but I'd guess around 50/50. I have always bought both formats.

I rarely buy DVDs now but buy plenty BDs. Between the US, UK and Australia, there are about a dozen boutique labels releasing four or five cult films every month - all limited runs, nearly all sell out. I usually purchase these online. Yes, it's a niche hobby but there's no sign of it stopping.

The appetite for physical formats in Ireland is subtly different to the UK's so Golden Discs business model works well (more focused on new releases rather than reissues).

Post edited by NewbridgeIR on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No it was just set up for last Christmas I spoke to the.guys running the store. Probably short term lease in Liffey Valley , did say at the time they would try and find another unit there, maybe they will be back for this Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The branch in The Square isn't a pop up, its been there for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No sorry I'm talking about the closure of the Liffey Valley store that it wasn't meant to be a permanent store.

Shortly after it closed works commenced whatever they the centre owners are doing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was always only intended to be a pop-up, planning notice was on it before Christmas for conversion to two cafe units.

Golden Discs devotes a lot of space to (expensive) t-shirts these days.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and here's me paying for my shopping like an idiot when it's also free to just rob it! 🙄

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement