Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NTL wall boxes often connected to a house's satellite dish?

• 21-08-2024 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm trying to figure out the set-up in a house I moved into.

There is a dish on the roof.

The living room has only an old NTL wall box, with FM and TV F-type connections.

2 rooms in an extension, Bedroom and Kitchen, have co-axial sockets.

Would it have been normal back in the 2000s to run the satellite dish feed through the NTL wall box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NTL cable was limited to VHF/UHF cable in urban areas and MMDS in some rural areas.

The actual house cable could be repurposed for a satellite feed but the NTL wall socket would probably block the satellite I.F. feed to the satellite receiver.

If you pop off the cover on the NTL box you'll probably see a TV/FM radio splitter with the frequency range on the splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BornSkippy

Cheers Cush.

The Splitter displays input range of 5 -1000 Mhz and 5 - 82, 120 - 1000 Mhz ranges for the TV output.

Standard universal, non-SkyQ LNBs send the signal to the receiver in the I.F. range 950-2200 MHz approx, so any signal above 1000 MHz will be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BornSkippy

Thanks for all the help.

I'll have a look at running a connection down from the dish myself.

Did that at my sister's place in Lucan maybe 10 years ago. Ran new cable instead of reusing the existing NTL cabling

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement
Advertisement