Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

1812813814815816818»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,694 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've a lto generator but it's on old set up. Hoping to buy and engine driven one next year for new parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs no point putting up a electric fence when the cows are already broke out and in the next parish, charlie is a complusive liar and bulls***ter, with hold-ups in tams applications, trying to get bank approval and then find a builder, derogation will probably be gone and 90% of planned tanks wont be needed…

Its a face-saving excercise by the goverment, they know its pointless but they have to be seen to do something to help "save derogation"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Setting up a grant system ticks a box for the Dept and gives them political cover. Doesn’t matter how unworkable it is on the ground.

If and when slurry storage requirements are made stricter, and our farm reps make token noises, then the Dept will shrug their shoulders and say they’re doing their bit by making a grant available. And that’ll be the end of the “discussion” between Francie and the Dept.

Re concrete prices: in case it helps - I did a 100ft x 8ft tank with 14-6 slats a few weeks ago for €32k ex VAT. The concrete was 1/3 of the cost, slats were a 1/3, and labour was a 1/3. There is a few extra days labour and track machine included in that as we hit rock digging out and then used that rock to level around where the milk lorry will be turning.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,694 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See if times were normal you'd probably concrete were lorry would be turning. Concrete gone way too expensive now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What kind of money would that system cost? Power is just back here now. I'm just thinking of a wet spring morning with no power and cows and calves bawling at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The bigger diesel stand alone generators need to be connected to a mains to have an ant dampner I think. Need to be started more regularly also. Have a Bradley, cheap and cheerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not sure. Going off DD but second hand prices 10 k 12k for a generator and obviously electrician and bits and bobs they'd use.

I've a place a stand alone generator would fit but if I put the pto one there the tractor will be in the way of milk lorry. I'd have to build a roof of some sort just over the generator to take the worst of the elements off it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If you are considering a stand alone generator is it worth looking at you re overall power supply and set up.people tell me its cheaper to run a generator to milk and cool than the grid especially if you get into bringing in a 3 phase supply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

concrete suppliers …machinery dealers etc …there all v quite especially on the ag side …trying to buy second hand loader for last while ….everything is crazy money and buyers not willing to budge on price ….was looking at 2 loaders since June made offer on one which was refused ….had missed call from one dealer yesterday asking if I was still interested to give him a ring …..concrete is gone to crazy money now where a 9.5 meter load is costing over 1400 inc vat …machinery is similar but I’m wondering tgeee if dealers got used of higher margins and didn’t want to budge ….sitting on lots of stock now they will have to get relatively

I bought a 3 phase pto driven one 50 kva 4 years ago …only needed it handful of times but fair comfort knowing it’s there especially with cows when there’s an outage ….I gave 5 k inc vat for it …I’d say you could add 2/3 grand to that for same now

Was advised against engine driven one

• Advertisement

election posturing comes to mind …..Charlie’s record with farmers is piss poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought off 1 from dealer not far fr us u know de lad 3-4 years ago. Has been reliable bar a few pipes. 310 12 yr old

that o hall Oran in toome……was in there few days ago raging he has lovely manitou inside gate but sold ….has another one coming in in next week or 2 he’s to ring me …..price not outrageous either ….prefer buy off someone local like him tbh

Advertisement