Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭crl84

It's a bizarre strategy. As mentioned above, people, including myself, give the M1 Castlebellingham services a swerve due to the single charger. If they put a second there, instead of a "transitional" single one elsewhere, and started to make a hub, they'd get plenty of business.

Is the single one at Balbriggan services going to entice any drivers on the M1? I doubt it. It's just going to be another sub-standard setup that M1 drivers generally avoid.

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If Paulstown on the M9 can have 2, surely the M1 locations should have at least 2 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Ev fan

The letter of the day in the Irish Times yesterday was another negative spin on EVS. The context was it was a response to the article on 25% less EV sales here in 2024. Basically the gentleman was saying that older EV batteries like the phone batteries will have to be dumped in dumps here or failing that will have to be sent to Bongo Bongo land for all the nasty stuff to leach out there. Where do you start? Perhaps the Editor could get the motoring correspondent to do an informed article on battery repair and recycling. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Media is both Anti EV bias and milking it with click bait for some time now.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058325642/increase-in-anti-ev-media-articles/p55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

This one is pretty balanced.....shows EV are still doing well outside of Ireland

But most of the points raised are valid and it's a bit forward looking too, which is rare

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0815/1464996-electric-car-sales-ireland-2024-analysis-early-adopters-mainstream-consumers/

• Advertisement

Haven't looked at the embedded videos but it's likely they aren't in synch with the rte article. My problem with the rte article is it ignores the media role in spreading fud, it's effect on sales, price war effect on new and used prices and also taxis seem to embraced EVs with a passion.

But it's good to have a conversation about where the market goes from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Definitely one of the more balanced factual articles out there in a sea of Clickbait and misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is still a few free public charge points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Even if they install the second charger at all their sites it's debatable if it'll be enough

Ionity seems to regularly have most of their chargers in use during the week. Just did a spot check and 3 chargers are in use on a random Saturday

Those Applegreen sites could probably support 8-10 chargers each and see a decent turnover of cars

Although between Ionity in City north and Toome, and Circle K in Clonsaugh I suspect they'll carve out the majority of charging business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Have an E golf here and the central locking has stopped working and I have to hold the key up to the steering column to start the car as keyless start has stopped working as well. I thought it might be the battery but the other key is the same? How do I change the battery in it can I do it myself or is it a dealer job?

Possibly both batteries are dead in both keys. It happened to us a few times, the main keys give a warning, and the spare keys rarely used have a flat battery. Beware there are lots of different battery sizes and types. They can be difficult to change and you could break the key. Bring it to a car parts place or a jewellery place and they will fit one for you.

Its a bit tongue in cheek. Guys stole electricity from a rental property and left a massive bill. I can see people hogging free work chargers and some vehicles are already capable of powering your home from "stolen" work electricity. I could see free public chargers, there are a few, being used by locals to fill up daily, then powering their house or their crypto mining rig to save or even make money. If you get paid for export electricity in theory you could get cash back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Central working not working wouldn’t be related to a key fault, more likely a fuse blown. If it’s the remote locking thats not working and the coin type battery in the key is dead, then that’s an easy fix. Those key batteries rarely last more than 12months on a car with KESSY. Guide here on replacement for a MK7 Golf;

https://youtu.be/FVyLFuVqjlk?si=tbaYPYajQ1M7-2Ti

Batteries don't seem to last long, I'd also give strong odds both batteries are almost gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Something smells there.GPU mining alt coins doesn't have that sort of return unless electricity is ... Almost free.

Asic bitcoin. Same story they pull a lot of power.

Either bill was still too low, or the 100k is just made up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

surprised ye succumbed to that clickbait

I've noticed recently that a lot of campsites have started specifically forbidding EV charging from the electric points for the pitches

Aside from the obvious possibility of overloading circuits, charging 50-60kWh would probably result in the campsite losing money on that pitch since they're often only a few euros extra

I remember a while back EV owners were sometimes allowed to use outdoor sockets in hotels or holiday homes. I've noticed that's dried up as well

I guess as you say too much freeloading has put an end to it all

There's a YouTuber, Will Prowse, in the US who was using an F-150 to do exactly what you described, charge at a free local charger and then use that to top up his battery back home. I'm pretty sure he only did it once or twice as a demo, but the possibility still remains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Funnily enough I haven’t been charged at all for the public charging we used in France. All that nuclear and solar - they must be giving it away. Two weeks of free fuel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Possibility wholly remains, plenty of free SuC Tesla's out there with nice big batteries that charge fast so you dont have to be there for hours, they were giving free SuC even up to last year

• Advertisement

How did you "notice" a lot of campsites.

Is there a website with a filter for all campsites. Might give a general idea if how many have those facilities or block them.

When I Google all I mostly get back are campsites advertising EV chargers on site. Which I guess makes sense. With plugshare you can see all the local chargers in France.

I assume when home batteries become more common the electric suppliers might have to re think it.

Just something I've observed when booking a few campsites recently

Pretty sure I saw it listed as a rule in Eurocamps

There's also been an increase the number of sites offering EV charging which is a positive

For example I'm pretty sure Roundwood campsite in Wicklow is installing a bunch of chargers for guests

I would say it's more common in the UK and France than Ireland unfortunately. Hopefully we catch up soon

EDIT: One hint for Eurocamps, you can filter for sites with EV chargers onsite. The same can be done for booking.com

Unfortunately the listings can be inaccurate at times so it's best to check a review site. Plugshare is a good one, there's also Zap Map in the UK and Chargemap in France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

€1.8 billion doesn't sound like China was that big a market for the EU

Ireland alone exported €6.3 billion if dairy in 2023, presumably the overall EU industry is a multiple of this amount

Unfortunately chasing globalisation has made many reliant on Chinese trade and goods. The future is murky, especially with EVs.

A guy in work today asked me if it was possible to change my EV wheel myself. I have a space saver spare and jack etc.

He heard from someone that EVs have motors in the wheels so you cannot change the wheel....Even the rare car that has these, it's still an ordinary wheel.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭crl84

Was passing by McDonalds in Maynooth yesterday, and there's a few Instavolt charging units going in there, site has undergone a refurbishment in the last month or so.

I know Instavolt are all over the UK, but haven't seen any of their units in ROIreland before.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the kind of guy I wouldn't trust to change a wheel

Incidentally you may want to stand back if he's ever operating any dangerous machinery like a kettle or a butter knife, might get a bit hazardous

Advertisement