Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In your neck of the woods? We had 9 days above 20c in Cork last Sept. Trace rainfall too and plenty of blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

We had a heatwave week last September in the East anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Where are you in the country? Looks wild enough. Wind has picked up a bit here in South Wicklow but nothing like that thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Belmullet gusting 49 knots

Mace Head gusting 49 knots

Knock gusting 40 knots.

Nothing of note elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

I also aluded to this a number of posts back. I think as the US cools over the next few weeks this will weaken the jet stream and as a result will allow HP to push over us more. I also think that this might be a trend in some of our summers going forward. The US has been hot this year, and I believe the temp gradient between the US and northern Canada helps to boost the jet stream. If the US continues to see really hot summers, I suspect we will pay the price. Obviously some years will buck the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭glightning

Appledrop: "The thing about nice weather in Sept is that it's never the same."

I hear ye! But let's not scud the chance of a warm spell in Sept. I rather have it than not

I think you're right, and if that becomes the long term pattern then I'm getting out of here permanently! I'm not built for endless spells of breezy greyness in the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JVince

Wild here in South Kildare. Branches off some trees in the garden.

Thankfully no trampoline here

With trees still in full leaf I suspect there will be coming down, so care needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Feels wilder than anything we had last winter tonight in Galway - wind is howling outside and my cherry blossom tree is bending over in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Current wind gusts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly very windy here in Meath, as windy as we get in the Autumn/Winter yellow and orange warning levels yet it's still August.

For me hard to believe from now given tonights weather but a week from now I'll be in southern Spain temperature probably will still be around 23C and i'll be hopefully fast asleep to wake up to a 30C Thursday in southern Spain. I'm willing to put up with the unseasonal weather right now knowing that I've got 2 weeks of 'summer' weather guaranteed from Wednesday next week and that's why we spend our hard earned money to get away from this Atlantic dominance into a very warm and sunny and dry climate for 2 weeks along with all the cultural stuff a country like Spain has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My brown bin blew over 10 mins ago. Thankfully, stuff was bagged, so no mess, and I've just taken it in. Pain the arse with this wind now. It sounds worse than it is with the trees still full of leaves. Don't think it's as sustained as the videos from Mayo earlier, just gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Calm and dry and bright in NE Galway

14⁰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wet and windy last night followed by a lovely autumnal type of morning first thing. Even managed to watch the sunrise for the first time in a long long time.

Clouded over now and 11C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Very stormy last night. Wind woke me at both 1am & 2.30am. Lashed rain. Got back to bed at 4.30am and back up at 6am, so running on fumes this morning. Couple of Codipar has taken care of the tiredness headache though and on to coffee numero 2.

13c, grey & damp. N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

It's been very breezy but seems to have calmed down a lot in Dublin this morning. There was a patch of blue sky taunting us this morning but it's covered up with grey again. Overall in Dublin, in my humble opinion, August so far has been the best month, not fantastic but we got some warm days and sunny spells. Having said that, I don't think we got a day for the whole summer where we had a full day of unbroken sun and no wind. I'm struggling to think of one anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was thinking about this the other day, I don't think we've had a full day of unbroken sun without wind. Most of us have not seen a temperature greater than 24C, infact most of the country hasn't passed 23C yet this summer apart from a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

As a cyclist, this year incl this summer seems to be windy. It certainly has been winder than other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

I could be wrong but was it 4 days in a row of temperatures of over 25° last September at some Met stations in the Greater Dublin Area/East, with the Met Eireann definition of heatwave being 5 days or more of temperatures above 25° at a Met Éireann station.

Link:

As far as I am aware, there were some inland Met Eireann that breached 25° for up to 6 days in a row in early September last year. So my apologies if you are living in the eastern half of the country but well inland where heatwave conditions did indeed occur ☺️

I did a Gonzo and was away for that heatwave. My location(Clane) certainly got 5+ days of 25c during that period. HippoD isn't too far up the road, so i'm assuming she would have had similar conditions.

Yellow wind warning issued for the southern half of the country for tonight into tomorrow morning. Quick look at the models would say that it moves through quickly enough, like the SW will be windy from 12-2, 2-4 in central counties, and 4-6 in the SE. Also would think that the 90km/h threshold for yellow-level gusts will be for mainly coastal and high ground areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

68.1kmh gust last night at my weather station in Cobh. Rough enough night. Probably underrecording a little as it needs cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Think there were a few days early in May of sun but not the heat you'd hope for in the Summer...June bank holiday was decent as well but overall pretty disappointing

Tonights wind and rain in southern, eastern ireland, which will effect the uk on friday has now been named as storm Lilian by the uk met office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, I could only realistically go with data from official Met Eireann stations as it's verified, and none of the 3 Dublin stations (Dublin Airport, Casement Aerodrome & Phoenix Park) reached heatwave criteria as they did not get 5 days in a row of above 25°. Dunsany in Meath did not meet the criteria either, nor did Mullingar, although Mount Dillon (just west of Longford town, on the Roscommon side of the border) and Oak Park (Carlow) did. And there are others apart from the ones I mentioned.

Looking at the table below for Casement (slightly west of Dublin city), you can see it was nearing the first day of a possible heatwave on the 4th but it didn't quite get there, some other inland stations began their heatwave on the 4th and with Clane being about 15km inland/west of Casement, it's quite plausible that 25° was exceeded there that day. However, Casement had a much lower maximum the following day (despite 7.5 hours of sunshine) so I had a look at the wind data and there was a noticeable breeze from the east on the 5th along eastern areas so that would likely have led to the cooler conditions on that day. If the sea breeze led to a max of 21.1° at Casement on the 5th, I would doubt that the wind would have warmed to 25° or more by the time it reached Clane, especially as the mean wind speed in the early to mid afternoon was around 20-25 km/h. I lived about 15km NNW of Clane until a few years ago and with weather conditions like those on the 5th September 2023, I would begin to feel a slight cooling of the breeze from around lunchtime, resulting in a day that would have been several degrees warmer had the sea breeze not reached me.

The wind on following days at Casement was either lighter, not from the east or a combination of both, hence the much warmer weather again. This was combined with the air mass in general being very warm, resulting in a max of 25.6° on the 7th, despite only 90 minutes of sunshine for the entire day. And just to clarify, the warm air vamoosed on the 10th……it was still warm for the time of year in many places but the heatwave ended everywhere in Ireland on the 9th, unless someone can correct me.

In an effort to try find approximate conditions for the Clane area, I had a look at Wunderground. For some reason, I'm getting incorrect and repetitive historical data for the two non-Met stations in Clane. So I found a station which is showing data that looks to be as OK as can be. This station is just under 8km SW of Clane (and about 2km SW of Mondello race track, for reference), so it would have even more benefit of a sea breeze having warmed up that little bit more, being that bit further inland. As a result, I would expect temperatures to be generally a few degrees warmer than Casement in this setup. The daily conditions for this station are shown below (different format, I'm afraid):

So although this station is further inland than Clane, it still only got to 23° on the 5th, resulting in only 4 days above 25° after that so not a heatwave. The 23° max on the 5th compares well with the corresponding 21.1° max at Casement, over 20km to the ENE, in terms of the sea breeze warming as it travels overland but it also leads me to believe that I think it's very unlikely that the Clane area (or most places within about 50km of the east coast that are not in the lee of substantial hill or mountain ranges) on the 5th of September 2023. For pig iron, I checked the data for a non-official weather station in Edenderry (about 55km from the Irish Sea and about 25km WNW of Clane) and it has a reported max of 24.8 for that day which seems about right for the weather conditions that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was happy with the summer overall though would have liked it to be sunnier. Not a fan of heat hence my opinion on the summer but I would not have minded one heatwave for a week or so to make it feel seasonal for a while and it being summer after all.

Jesus, that's some in depth analysis. Anyway, where i was at the time(Marmaris) was most certainly heat wave conditions 😁

I was only going on first hand feedback at the time, although i don't doubt a word you have taken the time to write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Met Office has named it , storm Lillian

Advertisement