Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for seats on Ryanair

• 19-08-2024 7:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

I have not traveled with them for a while. I used not to pay for a seat and they would pick one for me when I was confirming the flight.

This time I had to pay for a seat. Is this new or did I miss something ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You can elect not to pay for a seat and they will allocate you one when you check in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭The Ging and I

I looked again and found it , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Banzai600

just as an fyi to people re ryanair and seating….

i have now heard THREE separate stories from ppl who dont know each other. bear in mind these ppl were not travelling alone either.

these people travelling with friends had NOT paid for their seating on the return flights to DUBLIN, Italy and Spain, but had to fight tooth and nail to get on the planes as they were "full" coming home. funnily enough in two cases the ppl were told, ryanair hedge their bets you wont turn up if you dont pay for seats ?? somehow i find this extraordinary. in one case they had to keep seats for staff members to return home ?

its all a bit odd, but these are the facts that im aware of.

last few times we have flown with ryanair we havent paid for seats. I am wondering is this another sneaky ploy from ryanair to get ppl to pay for their seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Overbooking. Normal airline practice. If everyone paid for seat selection, they'd still do it.

Ryanair insist they don't do it; but the evidence is there that they do.

There can also be a last minute swap from a 197 seat MAX8200 to a 189 seat NG leaving up to 8 people over the number of seats the plane has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do you find it extraordinary? Airlines have been doing this for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Almost all airlines overbook. One of my travelling party was bumped coming back from a trip at the weekend. She hadn't booked a seat but she also left it til the very last minute to check in online for the flight, and I suspect that had more to do with it than anything.

Fwiw, they did ask all staff travellers on the flight to disembark, so they were genuinely doing their best to get paying customers on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 watchclocker

I think you're right about it being when you check in.

You used to be able to sort of cheat the seat system by leaving it until last minute and getting a premium seat that had not been sold but they closed that loophole and you're more likely to get a crappy seat (or none) if you leave it late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are paying for a seat when you complete the payment and book the flight

You are just not paying extra in order to get a specific seat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Standard practice in aviation since time immemorial.

Ryanair are the best at it and rarely get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Standard practice to overbook but is it a new thing that you're more likely to be bumped if you haven't paid to select a seat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Paying to select a seat in the first place is new I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's been a Ryanair thing for a long as I can remember.

Nothing new about it.

A pal was being offered incentives to re-route coming home on TAP a couple of weeks ago, they had clearly overbooked the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Yeah never experienced it with Ryanair, have with other airlines. You be well remunerated generally if it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

I knew this was standard in the US but I've never witnessed it in Europe so I thought we were protected from it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

It could be expensive enough for Ryanair to do considering they'd have to pay compensation. I assume they have an algorithim in place that tells them how much they could make by over selling and hoping people don't show vs how much they could loose in compensation. It could be worth their while mainly in high season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I think it highly unlikely that you would be bumped for not paying for a seat. The compensation for idb would greatly outweigh the price of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Banzai600

it happened as i posted above, i have no reason to throw ryanair under the bus, but they have given ppl fear and anxiety with their behavior, and this is just another ploy to get ppl to pay for seats IMO. Bully tactics.

and it kills me to say i booked flights with them two weeks ago, aer lingus just too dear for same route - and we paid for the seats and privilege to breathe on the plane.

Post edited by Banzai600 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Which means you improve your chances of a good seat by checking in early, like 1 min after check-in opens 24h before the flight.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

My go to strategy has been to check in at late as possible without picking a seat, I get an exit seat more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I can honestly say I have never felt any fear of anxiety when travelling with Ryanair. I never pay for a seat, just take my chances, more often then not I have gotten an exit row or a window seat.

• Advertisement

Maybe we shouldn't be publicly commenting on our strategies 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Best strategy is check in whenever, be the very last person on the plane and usually you've a pick of a few good seats to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Hontou

I've a better strategy if you want to sit beside your travel companion but not pay for seats. Check in last minute, but click on book a seat first so you can see what seats are still avaiable together last minute. Write down the good ones, if any. Then go back and choose random seat selection. Get on the plane last and confidently sit on the empty good seats that you know are likely still free. This strategy has worked for me 80% of the time. The only time it doesn't work is when the plane is full. In that case, you have a high chance of getting at least one good exit seat anyway.

This is the key piece of the jigsaw that I'm missing, thank you, I'll try Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

In a slightly different story but Ryanair and seating related. I was flying back to Dublin once, possibly from Germany, and as advised on our tickets we entered from the end of the plane, when I got to the top of the steps there was a lady there with bags and holding a baby, I offered to take her bags or hold the baby as she made her way to here seat/s, she said "it's ok, I'm waiting for them to sort me out, I'm in Row !! and that doesn't exist on this plane" Before take off I saw that she was sorted but I'm not sure if everyone who had booked that row got on the plane.

Advertisement