Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Output question

• 22-08-2024 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

I had a Solar system installed last week. Was sold to me as a 7.395Kw system. Even in direct sunlight, I've never seen it go over 5.5Kw. Inverter supplied, SigenStor EC 5.0P,specs attached.

Is the above expected, or am I being limited by the inverter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Correct. 5.0kW is the instantaneous limit for the inverter. The solar array is DC oversized which means that you'll generate more when there is indirect or low sun; beneficial in Ireland in all seasons.

https://energyd.ie/dc-over-sizing-pv-solar-in-ireland/

(limit stated above is now 25A or around ~5.7kW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

7.395 is kWp

In any event May is best month for PV so late August is pants

https://www.exeoenergy.co.uk/solar-panels/solar-panel-output

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

7.395 kW PEAK, nothing will be produced above what your inverter can output which is 5.5kW so you are doing well with your oversized system to be maxing out the inverter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Thanks for the replies.

Seems to be a bit misleading, they sell a 7.345KW system, base the returns, saving etc on that , but then it's limited by the inverter to a 25% lower output?
    Would the 6.0p inverter put me over the limit of connecting it to the grid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The NC6 limit is 5.5kw of inverter output.

The amount you lose isnt that much, (called clipping) as its only occurs at the peak of good days,

Id still do the calculations on the 7.3kwp for the yearly output of the panels, as it just becomes rounding errors.

theres only a handful of "perfect" days in a whole year

• Advertisement

Great, thanks all for the answers 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If you add a battery you will produce the peak power from the panels. The 5.5kw or 25 amps is the Ac limit of the inverter, it must limit the production as there's nowhere to send excess above 5.5kw.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Please provide documentary evidence of this statement, knowing at the NC6 limits was in place.

Seems to be a bit misleading, they sell a 7.34 kW system, base the returns, saving etc on that

As noted earlier its 7.345 kWp system which is an indication of power

Payback is based on the energy produced in KWh

If the work was grant aided, what did the DoW say?

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

was wondering about that alright. Probably do that down the road a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Graememk pretty much nailed it above, but I'll clarify his answer a little. Direct sunshine in summer you -may- experience "clipping" where your potential output with 7.35Kwp of panels maybe limited by the inverters 5.0/5.5Kw limit for a few hours.

However, for many months of the year, even in direct sunshine at noon, you won't get more than (say) 60% of your max "potential" because the sun is not hitting the panels "direct on" but more of a "slant". I know my all time high in December is 1.8Kw off 6.5Kwp, and you won't experience any clipping on that.

Over the course of the year, you'll only be clipped for a few hours, on the most sunniest of days for 3-4 months. Overall, it's probably 1-2% of your yearly output.

It'd be nice to avoid it, but really…..it's nothing to be overtly concerned about. Just look at it on the positive side. If your being "clipped"…..your still getting 5+kw of free power coming in. Long may that last :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement