Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Romulus [Fede Alvarez]

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This really surprised me, as it seems to have with everyone.

Good throwback references and they did a great job with giving the world with Weland etc that slavery feel along with the industrial vibe as well.

Set design was nailed, completely on point and very impressive. Good moments of terror as well, just like Alien and Aliens. The references to the older movies, I enjoyed, but I am a sucker for stuff like that so I do have bias in that realm.

It wasn't perfect, as some have said the characters were a tad wooden, I think the 2 main characters did a pretty good job of it.

While I kinda liked Prometheus and Covenant, I do write them off as their own, but I will give this movie credit for tying all of that. Might not have needed it, but this movie stitched them in and I think it did a pretty good job of it.

8/10 for me, really surprised by how good this all was. An Alien movie we really needed, and long over due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we all expect endings to be poor the bar is lowered, so if most of the film is good enough thats good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Was the cocoon the guy electrocuted a new phase in the xenomorph life cycle? Thought they just grow once they've burst from the chest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

There really is a bit of carte blanch with the Xenomorph post chest buster life cycle.

Alien- bursts out in a worm like style shown to molt and grow quickly into Xenomorph

Alien 3- Xeno-dog/cow bursts fully formed

Covenant- Bursts out fully formed and grows extremely quick

Romulus- Gestates lightning quick, burst out like Alien, shown to molt, but now encases itself in a cocoon to assumably accelerate its growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yes, I thought it gestated really quickly too!

Edit: found this, we're not the only ones who noticed https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien-romulus-xenomorph-life-cycle-scarier-new-step/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wanted to like it more than I did. Sadly, I had morons ruin it by talking through most of it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

it ***king kills me to hear this, cnuts talking and on phones in the cinema.

i think its pot luck when you go, im going to try see this before its off the big screen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agreed completely. I thought I'd be safe on a Monday night and it was 4DX so a fiver on top of the Unlimited card but no.

If cinemas die because people want to stay at home, I won't have any sympathy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

its the reason we stopped going years go, last two times i almost got into a scrummage, so we dont go now. i wasnt being a d!ck, i just told ppl to give it a rest and reported them the cinema house done nothing. Enrages me,

but im going to try and pick a time for this i think will work…fingers crossed.

Jesus!

I appreciate your sympathy. I live beside a Cineworld in London and I've the card so it's a ten minute walk, five minute queue for snacks and then I pop in. It used to be so much nicer but I feel like 2020 made a lot of people more discourteous. I am a little proud of the time I roared at a c*nt with his phone in Killers of the Flower Moon and suddenly the text alerts stopped.

The thing that gets me is people here enjoying a rare decent flick like this and all I remember is imbeciles talking. It's not really fair to ask the staff on minimum wage to risk getting assaulted or something over it either. I'd get really enraged if I were a parent and had to arrange childcare for me and the partner. Thing would cost over a hundred quid and it'd be for nothing.

The film looked good enough. Honestly, I'd have enjoyed it more on a big screen TV. Loved the allusion to the original with the Xenomorph's first appearance and the bit of an expansion on the synthetics was cool as well. The Xenomorphs work so much better when separated from weird philosophy and whatever Alien: Resurrection was supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

There is a big problem with Aliens in space and it’s the acid burning through the ships. I liked how they tried to somewhat mitigate it in this movie and was hoping we may see an Alien Isolation Movie but they really need to have some sort of material that doesn’t burn through the acid otherwise you can’t really kill the aliens.

A lot of the “negatives” people point out don’t matter. Gestation periods are irrelevant, being faster or slower in original means nothing. These facehuggers were made in a lab, why shouldn’t they take a different time to mature?

In alien , the facehugger is on Kane for 24 hours and within a few hours of the alien bursting from him it’s a fully grown adult alien. The crew having lunch after the facehugger comes off Kanes face was one of the dumb things that people seem to get upset about when newer movies have characters doing stupid stuff. Even Ripley didn’t say he needed to be quarantined and checked , nope , let’s have a bit of lunch and have a laugh about it.

In Aliens, it looks like the community are mostly long gone and the alien that comes out of presumably the last survivor seemed to just coincide with the marines arriving. Seems like there is some element of control to how fast it grows or when it pops out.

Also, the amount of aliens killed in the station , half of it should have been melted. When they are being shot to sh*t during gun battles you don’t really see any damage a bunch of aliens being mowed down would of done.

The biggest gripe I have with people reviewing modern alien movies is this idea that characters don’t make bad or stupid decisions , particularly under pressure. The crew of the nostromo made bad decision after bad decision. The marines in aliens made a pigs ear of what they were doing and needed an untrained PTSD space ship female captain to put some organisation to help them have a hope of surviving a battle.

It worked because it was a great movie , great characters , great story and well made. It was also unique so people choose to ignore the kind of things that really annoys them about newer movies.

I’ve no issue with people not enjoying or liking this, just think the negative reasons for not liking it quite often don’t hold up to scrutiny. It’s not a patch on the first two originals , but it’s a decent entertaining movie that can be enjoyed without benchmarking it against it and selecting things (like stupid decisions by characters) that could easily be picked out from originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I've enjoyed every Aliens movie to date. Just love xenomorphs and they will never not freak me out!

This one was no exception. Enjoyed the nods (both subtle and scream in your face obvious) to the originals. Great to hear that pulse rifle going off again. Also, the facehuggers getting more of a starring role was a good concept.

Got to see it in a fancy cinema in Oz. Bit more expensive, but fully reclined seats and a button for food/drinks at any time were worth it….made the film all the more enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

The only interesting idea I took from the movie was a world which has returned to serfdom through indefinite indenture.

That to me is as frightening as the Xenomorph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw it today, enjoyable overall.

The first half is stronger than the second. It goes a bit bonkers.

The practical effects and sets were terrific. The CGI technology used on another character was awful, distractingly awful, shame.

Acting wise cailee spaeny was very good but the real stand out was david jonsson (so good here and love him in Rye Lane) the rest were meh. Archie Renaux I have seen in a few things, not great... particularly poor in the jetty.

Overall third best alien film for me, not exactly a high bar though!

7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I never go to evening screenings anymore. Too often filled with people with the attention span of a goldfish who cannot sit for 2 hours to watch a movie without talking or using their phone. First screening of the day on a weekend is typically when I go and it tends to be OK. People going to the cinema at that time are there to watch the movie and not just to have a place to go to socialize in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

It was okay, but not sure what I was expecting - Every Alien movie is kinda the same isn't it? Xenomorph trying to get to Earth / other major destination, Ship/AI/non-human actor trying to achieve something against the main crew, various final scenes of one / two survivors escaping but same/similar ending for the Xenomorph.

May be it's just me getting too old for this genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

Just back from cinema. Promising start but goes off the rails not long into it. By the time the

final boss appears looking absolutely feckin ridiculous / hilarious I was already getting ready to leave. A good back story to the characters and the zero gravity acid scene was well done but nothing new really in this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

Saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I had gathered the movie drops off halfway through but found myself into it thoroughly.

The cgi side character was unnecessary, but I actually thought the effect was fine. However for the initiated, we expect the character to be malicious straight away. I would have preferred an actual actor, female actually, who would serve as a sympathetic/manipulative ear to Andy.

Other than that and 'the line' I enjoyed it. It can be in a bit of a hurry to get from point A to B, (the offspring shoots up pretty quick). I think when the movie takes it's time e.g. Rain's dream atop the mountains, or when either of the main spacecraft are hovering near the planetary rings, the movie is vibes level great.

Post edited by fluke on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Enjoyed roughly the first two thirds of the movie. Practical effects in particular were excellent. Final 3rd, more so the final 20 or so minutes, undid the good will the movie built up to that point for me. I had anticipated Ridley Scott's bullsh!t would come to it and the callbacks just got more and more cringe and actually annoyed me because some of it just makes zero sense in context. Also ripping off a rubbish scene from the worst Alien movie, what the hell? Make your own movie.

5/10. Could have been an 8 but for the last 3rd. It was doing so well...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I thought it was a decent film but not without its flaws. The utilitarian aesthetic was spot on. I wasn't opposed to bringing back a certain android either but the effects weren't the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I just came in to post this word for word! My absolute thoughts exactly.

Incredibly disappointing the way the last 20 minutes went. Ruined the whole film for me.

You could literally just axe that part of the film out and it would immediately be better. Just a bit 'THE END' before it goes shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ColmDove

Watched the film in cineworld today. I think my first time in there since the pandemic (I certainly don't remember the self service stations before, not sure how long they have been there. Disappointed that the cinema seems to be becoming a bit of a hole. Used to love going into cineworld.

Enjoyed Alien Romulus. I think the third best Alien film.

There was much more to enjoy here than there was to annoy. The cast were good, the action was fun, and the movie moved at a nice pace. Bringing back the look and feel of the tech in the original Alien was a great decision. The noise of the computer processing was a very welcome sound.

I'd question the need for how the film makers decided to handle Rook.

There was some I didn't like. Mostly the xenomorph felt fairly … secondary. Especially after we discover there's more than one, it seemed they were taken care of with (relative) ease. The boss creature at the end, while I appreciate was a better design than the Alien Resurrection Hybrid, was a bit underwhelming.

That said, I found it a lot of good in it, I was gripping the arm rests in parts. The actors were good, Cailee Spaeny especially (she's having a great year with this and Civil War). The film moved along at a nice pace, with good action and decent scares. 7.5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

director claimed only the eyes were cgi on that old character (empire podcast)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Surely that's lies, unless his entire face was made of eyes......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyone disrespecting Alien 3 is having a laugh. It is better than Romulus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Alien 3 is quite a good film when you take into account all the behind the scenes hi-jinks. If you watch as part of a marathon of the series, it is probably the most distinctive in doing its own thing.

Advertisement