Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Norma Foley a visionary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

Plodde #60 Kites will be getting entangled and crashing to the ground in a heap of confusion until election date announced and then forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Maybe. . If she was to also get rid of school homework as an positive incentive for pupils to give up using their phones while at school . . . A kinda fringe benefit.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The media are deplorable in this regard. The usual lazy vox pop shite every year about school being too expensive, uniforms etc..

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ban mobile phones and every child will have a smart watch. What then? Ban watches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

1. Phones banned outright
    2. Student A keeps bringing one
    3. Detentions, eventually suspension
    4. Cycle continues to the point where student A's attendance is suffering, so too their odds of attainment
    5. Student A falls in with undesirable peers they met in detention
    6. Student A starts smoking cannabis with said undesirable peers behind the bicycle shed
    7. Over time via smoking cannabis and listening to Pink Floyd, student A becomes lethargic and starts to ponder the point of existence
    8. Student A, drops out of school and does nothing but continue to consume drugs at home in their bedroom and listen to psychedelic music
    9. Student A falls into depression
    10. Student A turns to harder drugs to deal with the depression
    11. Student A's family can't deal with the drug use anymore and throw them out
    12. Student A is found deceased in an alley with a needle in their arm

Or, perhaps none of the above and there's a much simpler, less detrimental solution.

Rather than detention/suspension, phones are banned and if you are found with one, teachers just confiscate it and give it back at the end of the day.

When I was in school, things were confiscated all the time. In fact if I remember correctly, if you were caught on a mobile phone in class you had it taken from you.

Slippery slope cycle of death avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

I've seen the same system at a public swimming pool/spa in the UK. You have to mind the pouch, so the phone is still your responsibility, but you can't use it, while at the facility. But what problem is that going to solve in a secondary school? How many kids are using their phones during the school day anyway? If a school thinks it's worth doing, then let them. I can see value to the idea. But, forcing all schools to do it, I wouldn't be so sure about.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭scottser

Schools won't enforce it, it'll be down to the parents to either get on board or not.

Some kids will genuinely need to be in touch with parents for whatever reason and they should be allowed to have a phone that takes calls and texts only. In fairness, most secondary students don't need a phone and it's a no-brainer to have them leave it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It should be really straight-forward - if a student has a valid need to keep their phone with them, it should be raised and approved in advance of the class/day.

A phone shouldn't be treated any different to any other disruptive item used in class that distracts the students and the teacher. Confiscate it, and returned at end of class/day to either the student or the student's parent/guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It’s hard to imagine how secondary school students manage in today’s smartphone-centric world. The anxiety must be overwhelming. I’ve long hoped that younger generations would turn away from phones and return to the simpler times of 20 years ago. They’ve revived old fashion trends, so why not do the same with technology? If this change happens, it could significantly improve teenagers’ lives, reducing the anxiety they likely face today. Social media is rife with hate, cancel culture, and bullying, which can’t be healthy for students bringing these devices to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

a really good idea, as we ve become highly addicted to dopamine hits from phones, and this is causing detrimental mental health issues for all, in particular young people, but we do need to encourage the use of healthy internet usage within education as its use is extremely common in the workplace

• Advertisement

It’s interesting how this is one of the rare topics where there’s a consensus. Many parents, in private, are likely feeling a lot of anxiety due to social media and smartphones. Additionally, WhatsApp has become a burden for many who find themselves suddenly added to work groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I think we all know our phones are bad for us. Work WhatsApp groups are obviously a terrible idea if they are used at times when anyone included is not at work.

Twenty five years ago mobile phones most people didn't have a phone at all, 17 years ago there were few smartphones, I think society is still getting used to the technology. Letting kids have smartphones didn't seem like a great idea until it happened, still doesn't seem very smart and you'd have to think a big push back will happen at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Fine to feed kids in poor areas **** food, propagating the problem with food related health issues in low income areas.

Here's a sandwich, not questionable at all in terms of nutrional or calorie content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I hate it and I'd really prefer to delay getting smartphones for my two at all. It's just another thing I'll have to learn to be one step ahead of them in which is impossible, another thing that requires gatekeeping. I can barely find the time to react to all the mails, messages, school apps etc etc that I'm getting on my own phone. I would like to bring it up at (primary) school to be honest that I would prefer if we could all agree as parents to just not get them for our children, not sure which age would be the best time to do this. It shouldn't be an issue as all children come from within walking distance from the school but I'm not holding out much hope. I had a friend who it was banned in her child's class about 5 or 6 years ago, none of the children had a phone but she got one for her child anyway. The child was already socially stunted and obese and didn't really need another excuse to be bashing at a screen for entertainment, "meeting" strangers virtually and not moving. I think said friend thought it would make child appear "cooler" or make them more popular but it didn't.

it is great to see some adults have remained in the room on this one, most of us know how toxic phones are and especially (un)social media, this is one of the main reasons why ive never gone beyond boards in regards social media, ive never done any of the others, and i never wat to either, ive enough anxiety in life…

but i also realise the major benefits to social media to, its not all bad, but there certainly is a lot of dysfunction and harm with its use, and not just for young minds, many adults have a dysfunctional relationship with it, including myself.

we clearly need to enforce the rights to disconnect from social media outside of work, other countries have done this, it is possible to do….

..again, not all social media is bad, including for work related issues, but….

kids having phones was inevitable, perfectly designed for their wants and needs, highly addictive, and relatively cheap for dopamine hits, a master piece in design….

this policy will probably just push phone usage into hiding, it may not reduce its use in school environs at all….

Work WhatsApp groups are a significant issue for me. I strongly disagree with their use, but many employers consider them essential. In the past, my bosses have questioned me for asking colleagues not to contact me on my phone. I prefer emails. While opinions vary, I believe the general consensus is that phones induce anxiety in many of us, which is particularly harmful to children.

Now that I work for myself, I often receive messages late at night and encounter hate messages on social media over trivial matters. This constant connectivity is concerning, especially for children and teenagers. In the past, kids could disconnect from school when they went home, but now, like with work, they risk being connected 24/7. Removing phones from schools could help normalise this disconnection. Over the past 20 years, schools and children have made significant progress, and I believe that removing phones would benefit children, making them more well-rounded and better learners. Schools are much better places now.

Social media has taken a troubling turn, in my opinion. Misinformation, hate, and bullying are now widespread. Take, for example, the Australian lady who was harshly criticised online by adults for doing a playful dance at the Olympics. If adults are behaving this way, imagine the impact on teenagers—it could be very damaging. It’s crucial to limit the constant presence of phones in the lives of children and teenagers. Eventually, there may come a time when the overload becomes too much, and kids start to distance themselves from technology. “That girl doesn’t have a phone.” “Oh, that’s cool.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd say it's only social media company employees who want to keep pushing dangerous content to children. I hope they rest well at night and don't think about all the terrible mental illnesses, bullying, self harm, suicides, social destruction their state supported and addiction designed advertisment platforms causes.

all completely understandable views, but the reality is, thie genie is long out of the bottle, i suspect its gonna be impossible to reduce the use of phones amongst younger generations, i just cant see this policy actually doing much, theyll just hide their usage, like most other addictive behaviors, including in schools, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt implement such policies, this is very very complex stuff.

we all know theres a rapid rise in mental health issues in our societies, for various different reasons, and (un)social media has been a major culprit

theres far more phones on this planet than humans beings, so best of luck with trying to reduce usage….

the development of such tech is actually very complex, i suspect most employees within these industries are actually concerned about the dangers of the tech, but cant actually do much about it, as thats simply the job, and moving jobs isnt all that simply, considering normal life restrictions in doing so…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's entirely legitimate and correct to criticise the companies.

But at the same time, it's widely known that all this harm is happening and Governments, who work for the people, have indulged them with very light touch regulation. Isn't it incredible that Norma Foley's suggestion is only being made now rather than having been enacted years ago?

We all know excessive internet use is doing societal harm, what we need is some leadership to help.

…but modern political ideologies are firmly based around light touch, and we all know, its not working for many if not most things, only problem is, we dont know how to change this….

I'm rattling some cages to make a point.

Just angry as I've personally seen lives destroyed by social media. The entire country is up to its neck supporting this ****. We have the power to regulate social media here but we don't, because we prioritize wealth for some other a healthy society and we can't think longer term than next week.

And I can't believe how anyone thinks giving a non adult a smart phone is a good idea.

again, all understandable, but again, i will say, we actually dont know what to truly do about these problems, this tech moves at an astonishing rate, and the institutions we use to try regulate all of this are obviously overwhelmed and not up to the job of doing so, i.e. we dont know what to do, but we bloody need to do something, and fast….

Yes, this is why no kid should have a smart phone. Social media is just one rotten aspect of the whole problem. It's just going to get more warped and more dangerous.

again, i think the damage is done, it may not be possible to take the phones away now, yes they probably shouldnt have them until a certain age, but the reality is….

social media is vile, even for adults, its detrimental for kids, and its already showing

Do you think there will come a time, similar to what happened with Facebook a decade ago, when people decide they’ve had enough? TikTok, in particular, is highly addictive and often mind-numbingly trivial. Perhaps, eventually, there won’t be a new social media platform to replace the old ones, and people will start engaging more with the real world. There’s a significant pushback against living a sustainable life in today’s society. COVID-19 turned many into loners, spending their days scrolling and trolling through social media. At some point, younger generations might lift their heads from their phones and try something new. It’s reminiscent of the fitness revival from a few years ago. Maybe society will begin to value life with less technology in the future. Our brains can only handle so much. I believe excessive phone use has contributed to the rise in online hate, bullying, cancel culture, and misinformation. It’s making society less intelligent, but teenagers are perceptive and will hopefully see through it eventually.

Advertisement