Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair or Replace Monsoon Gravity Pump ? P/N 44331

• 22-08-2024 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭

Its 15 years old Im told.

Phoned Domestic Pumps Ballymount and they can change circuit board and capacitor either I bring to them (cheaper) or a callout service.

My instincts (could be wrong) I would have though if she is powering up this is more a mechanical that electronic issue … it was lacking the strength to push water out.

They explained that intermittent issues are more difficult to diagnose (fair enough as you dont know if its fixed)

Symptoms from 5 days ago to today …

On demand when I start the manual non electric shower I can hear a hum as usual but the water didnt come out.

Lowered the shower head and shook it. This worked - rarely had to do this before.

Is taking more time to arrive first thing in the morning. (For last two days). There after during the day its Ok.

Once recently the power dropped off during a shower for a minute then returned (never happened before or since)

Do water pumps have prostrate issues LOL

I drained it as per google search yesterday …

6 Steps to Bleeding a Shower Pump
    Step 1: Turn off the pump. So, the first thing you need to do is turn off the power to the shower pump. ...
    Step 2: Remove the Showerhead. ...
    Step 3: Run the Shower on Cold Full Blast. ...
    Step 4: Run the Shower on Hot Full Blast. ...
    Step 5: Leave the Hose to Drain. ...
    Step 6: Re-power the pump.

*I may have fixed the issue (if it aint broke dont fix it?) Or should I go for a repair for this intermittent issue or replace as its mechanically and/or electronically on the way out and its on borrowed time? They are pricey new

Is it like a 10 year car with 150K on the clock? Stastically likely to leave me at the side of the road or in this case washing myself at the sink with a bottle of cold Volvic water from the fridge LOL :-)

What say you ? Thanks !

Was told late by tech support in UK the replacement comparables if Im going new are:

Re tech: He said if Im replacing it with new to go for these two models.

The 3 bar will give more pressure.

46480 – 2 bar Screwfix PN– 95061

46410 – 3 bar Screwfix – PN 79703

Post edited by worded on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

Update …

Spoke to Tech Support in UK (1 hour wait) but they were excellent …

He said …

Repressurise Vessel to 1 Bar with a pump 13 PSI and if that doesnt work - get the Capacitor replaced.

My unit is S/N 09********* = 2009 model so doing well for a 15 year old pump

From my notes on what he said ….

Hose at top - screw drier - vertical to horizontal - quarter turn

Pump to 1 bar = 13 psi

Then reverse the instructions ..

P/N capacitor replacement

P/N 27662

7 microfarad US capacitor

microfarad -- symbolized as µF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, yes I'd agree, sounds either like a mechanical issue with the pump or a blockage at or around the pump. Some of those pumps have strainers on the inlets and they might need cleaning out due to debris from the cold water tank.

As it's a twin pump, does it struggle on both cold and hot feeds? If it's struggling on both then I'd suggesting to me that it could be the pump though.

Ask Domestic Pumps about their refurb units - I've had very good dealing with them recently enough.

Its only with the hot the cold tap is fine when its acting up in the morn. Once its up and running its good for the day then …

Then it sounds like it could be a blockage on the hot side at the pump end.

"Repressurise Vessel" - This is only done while the pump is in situ? No point removing it and asking domestic pumps to do it right?

• Advertisement

Thanks for tip - will ask plumber mate to have a peep there. The odd thing is once she gets going there is no stopping her for the day. It is a morning issue …

Ah, I hadn't seen that you got onto tech-support till now. Follow their guidance - I didn't know that you had an expansion vessel.

Yes, done in-situ using a bike pump and gauge.

Advertisement