Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd agree no bigger hitters, but a group of presenters that 2FM and some in the media considered to be big hitters.

Laura Fox has pretty much take over from Jenny Z and she's getting 141,000 listeners up 6k. Not much less than Westlife show which ended on 155k.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

yes….God help us all if there are folk out there who consider Garrihy, Ryan, and co ‘big hitters’

Bunch of grifters and chancers Ro….and I know you probably agree with that.

Just back from the Supermarket to buy my copy of Irelands Own and I see Derrane and a host of other

chancers grinning out of the covers of several magazines…we really are thick if we can’t see through these chancers.

I also see Seoighe apparently trying politics now that her TV career has stalled.

Unbelievable that folk would be taken in by these grifters.

But hey……Nina Carberry….. Mullooley….. this lot have seen an opportunity it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭inajock

Daithi O Se coming with a run at a the politics now too. Well up on the ballot paper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Now that the cheque has cleared its back to spend, spend, spend in the small principality of Montrosia...Verona here we come.... How's poor Dee these days btw?? , wishing her a full recovery, then she might be able to answer a few questions, maybe even return some money she didn't earn... One guy robs us with a shotgun, the other with a fountain pen,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

what kind of a wedge is Marty on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Hes long past retirement... Get rid of him.

Bring back Brendan Balfe, or Rodney Rice.

Also I am thinking that many of those presenters have got away without having to be in the top ten list.

From what I can gather when the RTÉ annual report is published later in the year it will only show the top ten earners, this means because RTÉ have added the executives to the list they then remove many of the people that would have been added to the the list due to lowering of the earnings and the exit of others.

Now we are left with a list that you can't compare to previous lists. Really the top ten onscreen talent should be published along with the top ten non-onscreen talent at RTÉ.

I'd say getting FC and TLLS to become independent productions is to remove those stars from the top ten earners list.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Expunge

Marty is with the other giant talent agency - Carol and Associates. They seem to have avoided the spotlight that Noel Kelly found himself under.

Their roster isn't quite as young and hip - more "has beens" on the books

Entertainment Agency & Consultancy - Carol and Associates

Interesting to see Dáithí "Why would I give somebody 15pc of what I make, like?" Ó Sé on that list!

______

Yesterday

Emma O'Kelly is back, 1 week until the results and more to come with the JC results, and then …

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2024/0816/1465355-school-students-greystones-wicklow/

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2024/0814/1465009-wicklow-greystones-secondary-schools/

You'd have to wonder where the south east correspondent is for this type of news. Not sure if he would cover that area TBH.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It's probably deemed to be an education story. Secondary school place shortages is going to be big, id imagine.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i go on my holidays for two weeks and hear about the rte branded macarons…ink not dry on the bail-out check and rte sending out boxes of macarons??at €132 a box??? wheres MY macarons kevin???what else are they going to pish it away on?not a thing has or will change in there…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i knew i read that…my brain is still on holidays!! I was just wondering if a load of people,like 100s or more asked for a criminal investigation in the public interest would they investigate or just come out with the usual "no comment,lessons learned,contractual obligations,on taking legal advice,the attorney general says,a file sent to the dpp" usual bollix…?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only thing I can think of is a change.org petition, but doubt it has any real power. Did I read if it reaches a certain amount it has to be discussed in the Dail, or was that something/somewhere else? Either way, it wouldn't matter, no doubt the Dail heads are involved somehow, or at least are in the same circlejerk.

Never heard anything back anyway...

It seems that Jim Jennings, Director of Content, will be leaving RTE at the end of the month after almost 40 years with the company.

Terms must have been agreed, finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Would love to know how much he's leaving with.

And also how long he was out sick for and how long get got paid sick leave for… it would make us sick.

WRC will provide a number of public earning AFAIK.

Jimbo has gone! nearly !

Dear colleagues,

I would like to let you know that Jim Jennings will leave RTÉ on 31st August.

I would like to thank Jim for his long service to RTÉ and his great contribution to the organisation and public service media for almost 40 years.

Jim joined RTÉ in 1985 as a researcher and subsequently worked as a television producer/director before becoming Head of RTÉ Radio 1. He took up the role of Director of Content in 2017.

Jim leaves at a time when the organisation is re-defining the Audio and Visual briefs as part of RTÉ’s new strategy.

I am pleased we have been able to reach agreement around the terms of his departure with the support of the Workplace Relations Commission.

I wish Jim the very best for the future.

Kevin

KEVIN BAKHURST
    DIRECTOR-GENERAL

ENDS

https://about.rte.ie/2024/08/22/rte-statement-jim-jennings/

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

Has to be this one? so €400k.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0612/1454413-committee-rte/

And he's been OOO since all this kicked off a year ago, did he get his full wage from RTÉ from June 2023 to August 2024?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Just don't push Catherine Martin to actually answer this, assuming she's not too late for the presser. Besides, hack turned govt lackie Aidan Corkery will filter out any inconvenient questions by wrapping up early for the next appointment.

Expect lots more golden parachutes while the coffers are fat with spoils from the peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Drivetime asked RTE if anybody was available to discuss Jennings' departure, but no spokesperson was able to speak with Cormac and no further comment will be made.

It is August the courts are on …. oh wait the WRC is in session!

______

Yesterday

D

Also just thinking about this "no further comment will be made", this is a strange statement. How can any journalist or research even consider this to be acceptable.

The DG should be available to take questions, to explain why this went to arbitration with the WRC and other aspect that he might be able to answer. A few questions read as Cormac would read

GRMA Kevin for join us on Drivetime, you say in your statement that you wish Jim Jennings the best in his future, do you think he could return to RTÉ after his long service, where do you see his future?

You say Mr. Jennings gave 40 years of great contribution to the organisation and public service media can you explain where he did?

You say "Jim leaves at a time when the organisation is re-defining the Audio and Visual briefs as part of RTÉ’s new strategy." why would you drop someone whom you seem to consider having a wealth of experience in his previous roles?

Jim Jennings has not be in RTÉ for the last year or more, was he on pay role is he still on pay role?

He was unable to attend the Oireachtas Committees due to illness, is he on sick leave from RTÉ and what are the sick pay rules for staff member?

Did you meet with Mr. Jenning here in RTÉ and / or at the WRC? Have you spoken directly to him? has any of your leadership team? If so how is he unable to attend work and the oireachtas committees?

Finally Mr Bakhurst you've exited about 5 people in the year that you have been made DG, how do you feel about this and do you expect any of your current leadership team to leave under similar circumstances?

And that was Kevin Bakhurst speaking with me earlier today. Where the F is Sarah? over to Arena its 6:30, courts out!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another massive payout for Jim who never answered a single question. Thanks FFGG.

Has Catherine Martin retired already. Or is she just busy doing nothing?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The government parties are busy pretending to disagree with each other in the run up to the election. They've done so for the last 5 years.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

Probably higher as it went to the WRC in the end. Also have to take into account that RTE paid the Taxes on the CFO's false redundancy payment. So might be into the 500-600 gross range.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Why do we believe it would be higher? We don't know what was offered.

Also if RTÉ did pay taxes on CFO false redundancy she would still own tax on that amount of money. Can you legally pay someone else's tax bill? Surely that payment would be for the year of the tax bill not the current tax year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

On the grounds that O’Keeffe got 450k and RTE paid her taxes on it. Kevin publicly stated they were going to pay her taxes. This would have set a benchmark for Jennings to aim for.

When the employer pays the taxes, this is a BIK. To use Joe Duffy's understanding of the tax system. You need to earn 2,000 euro to get 1,000 euro. So, to pay 100k in tax you have to earn 200k and so on. So if O'Keeffe owed say 100k in taxes, it cost Kevin 200k to pay it. We don't know the exact figures, but the 450k may well have cost RTE (the Taxpayer) 600k or more…

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

O'Keeffe was part a redundancy package, that ended up not being a redundancy package and had the potential to be taxed, but we don't know if it ever was… or did we find out … we know RTÉ said they would pay the tax if it should be taxable (not really sure why? they even gave this guarantee).

But O'Keefe would be liable for tax on 200k, either in the year for the payment or in the year she receive the payment.

e.g. O'Keefee leaves in 2017 she owes tax from 2017 not this year, RTÉ pay for 2017 not for 2023, meaning that is a 2017 earning not a 2023 earning, so BoK would owe tax on what she earn in total in 2017.

Sure you employer could always pay your tax in the second year of employment so that you can evade tax in the previous year.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement