Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Financial Rules Discussion - including Man City Charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

True. I wonder if they keep winning year after year how long until the broadcasters tap the PL on the shoulder saying hang on here people are getting bored of a one team league we're losing viewers you better find a way to stop them cheating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hearing chatter of an 80 points deduction, and some bookies at least biting on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

An 80 point deduction would ultimately mean nothing tbh. They'd just bounce back from league 1 in a single season given the squad they have, even if some of the big hitters like Rodri or Haaland were to likely leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Pep will leave at the end of this season, Haaland plus Silva, DeBryne, Eddison and maybe one or two more will also leave, just in time before they get a soft monetary based sanction.

You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to see exactly how this will pan out.

Newcastle are waiting for the outcome before opening the cheque book.

Corruption at the highest level.

Chelsea selling their own assets to themselves as well as hording every handy 20 year old in world football should have been nipped in the bud years ago.

Multi club ownership should also have been nipped in the bud years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I thought there were no decisions made on Chelsea selling the 2 hotels and the women's team to themselves?

I'd imagine there isn't a hope in hell that's acceptable to the PL. If it is, it makes an even bigger mockery of them and their governance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The only punishments that really suffice are stripping titles from each season they’re found guilty of cheating for - not redistributing them, but having the official records have no winner for those seasons. They’ve broken the rules to buy these trophies and the rewards that come with that, so it seems bizarre they should be allowed to keep them.

Transfer bans/restricted spending/points deductions should all be on the table too.

I don’t think the punishment will come anywhere near it though. I would guess the PL would like this to be over as soon as possible, which probably means City finding the punishment somewhat agreeable so they don’t feel inclined to drag it out in the courts endlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The PL will be aware that if they punish them properly it will only hasten city setting up a world/European super league, they have the finances to do so (Golf anyone?)

They will fine them 70m pound and give them a transfer ban of two windows would be my guess, now obviously neither of those things matter a jot to city, but the PL will think that will be enough to save face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

They need to be stripped of all titles won in the period of these charges and relegated. That won’t happen they will get a slap on the wrist and a small fine.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Talk of the 80 points has to be gugg, as the process hasn't even started yet - how can there be a judgement on punishment before its even been heard by the commission.

Plus 80 points, on its own, would be terrible.
    They'd be relegated, sure, but they'd win the Championship easily and be back in the PL after 1 season and probably right back in contention for it.

Need their titles stripped and a big financial penalty as well, if they are guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

There is a difference with golf though - football is far more tribal, and Man City are only one team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if City thought that by the time any potential charges came around that they would have been considered an integral part of the PL, something the PL would fear to lose if they treated them too harshly, but at the end of the day they’re just one expensive football team, nowhere near the best supported team in their city, let alone the country. They could leave the PL tomorrow and the PL would be just as popular as ever.

It should be more important for the PL to hammer them and set a precedent to the other teams like Newcastle that competition is a priority. If they don’t then they’re basically allowing the super league to be a subset of the PL - state owned clubs will be allowed to do whatever they want, and it will have all the integrity of WWE.

The EFL would be loving life if they were relegated to the championship with thw full stadiums and attention they would bring. Could they play well on a cold Monday night in Stoke though?😛

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

city are going to set up their own league????? Who will they play against?

That would be great if they did. Everyone's a winner then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah the hearing hasn't even started yet. So how is there any talk of what the final punishment will be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don’t think you’ve thought this through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It'll be even funnier when there isn't full stadiums and attention.

City are a small club playing dress up as a big club. Once the novality of them being in the lower leagues wears off you'll see their fan base is that of a smaller club still

A small club with the best lawyers on the planet. There will be appeal after appeal and then some. Anybody that thinks these charges will be sorted by next year is dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I keep hearing this as the way City are going to get around it but I've not seen anything to back up this claim as a viable way for them to go.

Surely the PL wouldn't have brought the case forward if they didn't feel like they were going to be able to pursue it. They spent years working on it before pressing forward. Their lawyers would surely be aware if there was a way to just keep this in the courts for years and advised the PL against bringing it into the public.

There is no option here now but for the PL to charge City and charge them well or they lose a massive amount of power/ respect among the clubs but also among the general public

The only issue I can see is City get something like the 80 point deduction mentioned above, on the surface that is a record punishment etc... But It makes only 2 PL seasons a write off for them. They go down for 1 season but come back up with everything still in place. Out of titles races for 2 seasons but back in them again in season 3.

Then I also don't know how much further the PL can go so maybe that is the best we can hope for?

• Advertisement

I agree and hopefully they get punished properly. A detective said to me a few years ago when I worked in a cops pub "evidence doesn't decide court cases, lawyers do" I know it's not a criminal court but the same principles apply.

People say City will appeal for etenity - but can they? Within the competition rules that allow for this hearing to take place, is the result considered final or subject to appeal (from any interested party)

I can't link I'm on the phone but if you Google can man city appeal you'll come across an article on sky that says either party can appeal the outcome.

They can appeal to the Independent Commission, but they can’t appeal to the UK courts or CAS.

An appeal can only be made on the grounds of a procedural oversight as far as I’m aware, so it is likely that the IC will take their time with their judgement to make sure the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed and that it is water tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You cant strip them off the titles as that opens a can of worms all over the place. Everton got a points deduction for psr breaches, but stayed up the year before that. Do the clubs that went down challenge that?

Do the matches against city become null and void, so the league gets re-written.

nonsense to expect them to be stipped of the titles

Marseille were stripped of their titles in France. No winner was awarded for those years.

There is precedence for stripping titles.

°°°°°

Sadly.

They're like the mafia, and if Pep thinks he can walk away from that job when he feels like it he's in for a shock, City's owners only let you go when they're done with you and not a moment before hand.

If Pep retires at 65 he'll likely be doing so at Man City, you'd fancy him to win at least 10 of the next 12 league titles in that time.

The only thing stopping that is this action being taken by the Premier League and it feels like a one in a million shot.

Glazers Out!

If they are found guilty, the titles simply must be stripped imo.

Can say they cheated abd just leave them the trophy spoils of that cheating.

This is completely different to PSR breaches.

• Advertisement

Why would you think it’s nonsense to expect them to be stripped of titles? Surely if found guilty of industrial level cheating, stripping them would be the logical step?

I gave my reasons in my post. Example: Everton were found to have cheated in seasons where they stayed in the PL. They were given a points deduction last season. Should the clubs that were relegated from the PL in the years that Everton were cheating be reinstated / financially compensated etc.

You cant re-write history as that history happened.

What city are alleged to have done is a world away from what Everton did.

Juventus had their titles stripped as have other clubs around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I do think stripping historic titles fails to be a real deterrent. The capital created by those titles in terms of increased fans and legacy that helped boost the following iterations of the team that won more titles that helped grow the juggernaut that rules football today can't be taken away. There is a symbolic effect, sure. But the club and the front office staff and the manager and the players have all long ago benefitted from the spoils.

Fines obviously are meaningless in this specific context too, a case which is in essence about the owners evading the rules to funnel walls of cash into the club.

The only thing that works is relegation and bans. The executives and front office staff involved should be banned from holding positions with Premier League clubs. Man City should be relegated from the Premier League and forced to reapply for league membership with the EPL (i.e. potentially work up from a bottom league). If there is any indication that Guardiola knew, he should be banned from managing an EPL club. And if there are any former players who can be proven to have taken illegal payments, etc they should also be banned.

That, of course, is what you would do in the fantasy land where you really wanted to sort this all out and lay down a marker so that it wouldn't happen again. The punishment needs to be such that anyone who might benefit from this sort of cheating, understand the risks and constraints it may place on their presence in the game in the future. As others have stated in this thread many times however - the desire here is to put it to bed in such a way where a line can be drawn under it. An agreement will eventually (and I mean EVENTUALLY) that is agreeable to City.

The British government may interfere here too given the close trading and commerical ties between cities owners and the UK

Yes, you can.

Lance got his Tour titles stripped.
    Juventus got their title stripped.
    Marseille got their title stripped.

Also, breaching a financial cap is not considered to be in the same ball part as deliberately breaking the rules and committing fraud (which is what it ammounts to).

• Advertisement

I agree with this.

When I say i want their titles stripped I'm not saying thats the punishment. I think stripping the titles should be one part of a punishment. I just can't understand people who think they should be allowed to keep those titles, if they are proven to be guilty. Specifically the titles in the period they are being charged for. the last 4 are likely considered 'clean' in that respect - built on a guilty foundation, but I don't think you could stip them of titles won in seasons they are not accussed within.

°°°°°

The thing to keep in mind is that they've won more titles after the seasons they're being charged for but that doesn't necessarily mean there has been no malfaesence in that time period, it just hasn't been investigated thoroughly yet.

It's unlikely that they suddenly decided to play by the rules when Pep Guardiola walked through the door.

Even their current status as the world's most profitable football club stinks to high heaven.

Glazers Out!

Yep, I agree with this too. They are likely to have continued doing similar things, but I don't think they should be punished with regards to seasons not covered by the current charges.

I do wonder if anything will be done about the period not covered, or if they will announce there is nothing wrong in those years? Whatever the outcome of the current investigation, will a new one come up for 2019 onwards, or will they draw a line under it based on this investigation. I suppose if the PL lose this case, they'd like lose one on the following years so wouldn't go again, and if they win the case they may hope the punishment is sufficient to not bother going again (given the time and cost involved) for the following years.

IMO, it will likely end with City being cleared on most charges, apart from maybe not cooperating charges - and they get a slap on the wrist - because I don't think anyone has the bravery to find them guilty and meet out a proper punishment based on that guilt. There is far too much money, from a government/country investment point of view involved. We already know that the governments have discussed this case, and has refused to say what was discussed regarding it. That goverment is now gone though, so who knows.

°°°°°

In essence, every possible negative that someone could have associated with the Abu Dhabi takeover of Manchester City in 2008 has come true and then some to boot.

The way clubs were taken over back then was a disgrace and has been a blight on football ever since. Of course they closed the gate after the horse had bolted.

City will destroy football if they're not properly punished, but football allowed them to do it to begin with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

@Mitch Connor "We already know that the governments have discussed this case, and has refused to say what was discussed regarding it. That government is now gone though, so who knows."

The new govt is Labour, Labour is Red, City are f***ed!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

City's owners have already started playing the race/discrimination card which is the achilles heel of Starmers Labour.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Why would race/discrimination be the achilles heel of labour? Presumably not so with the Tories then? Genuine question. I have no idea. Sounds mad.

The PL and British government were only too happy to let them in. I have zero faith much will be done. Hopefully I'm wrong.

°°°°°

The perception being that Starmers Labour would be more concerned about the optics of coming down hard on City's owners were they to continue claiming that they are being discriminated against on racial grounds as they have been doing up to now.

I used the term Achilles heel in relation to this current Labour government's ability to deal with City's owners as many feel they should be dealt with.

I don't for a second believe City's claims that they are being singled out for unfair treatment because of where they come from, but it is conceivable that the current government in the UK may shy away from tackling this issue head on for that reason.

Glazers Out!

Chelsea could be in big trouble now the sale of hotels to sister companies won’t count in new UEFA rules.

Regards,

P.

It's laughable the pl allows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

even worse there was a vote on it, and they voted to keep the loophole.

this is where an independent regulator would work IMO.

Too many clubs voting with self-interest rather than what is best and fair. Those clubs with PSR issues would want to keep it open should the situation arise for themselves and want to keep all their avenues open.

As you said, that independent regulator is needed.

The case against City starts next Monday

Regards,

P.

Done and dusted by 9.15am when they present the irrefutable evidence that proves their innocence 🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement