Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone visual voicemail

• 17-08-2024 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

i risked downloading ios 18. I now have visual voicemail, looks an interesting feature. Anyone else use it? Is it reliable? It could be useful when roaming out of the EU with their extortionate voicemail charges.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jrmb

The French network Free has had it for years. It's a great feature and saves a lot of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's a great addition and about bloody time! I do find it often struggles to transcribe the Irish accent though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yeah i noticed that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remembered hearing around the time of the original iPhone launch in 2007 that O2 Ireland were the only launch carrier to not support it at all. It's about time that an Irish network has adopted it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had a look at this and I'm not convinced that it's true visual voicemail. Looks like an on-device version. The phone answers the call and plays back a greeting in the Siri voice. I haven't tested it but I suspect that if I tried to call the phone with no service, I'd still hit the Vodafone voicemail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You are correct. I put the phone in airplane mode and it went to normal voicemail. The toggle on iphone is “ live voicemail”

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PixelCrafter

Are you sure that's not 'Live Voicemail" ?

Basically iOS has an inbuilt answering machine and will pick up the call if the phone is switched on / in coverage. If not, it will go to the network voicemail (or whatever forwarding you have setup).

It's a handy feature, as you can screen calls, but it's not integrated with Apple's visual voicemail services.

TBH, I don't understand why the Irish networks don't implement visual voicemail for iOS. It can't be that hard and none of them are using anything other than off-the-shelf network equipment, so it's not like they're on some weird voicemail platforms.

I would assume it's just a case they won't pay for some software licence and voicemails become a bit irrelevant anyway.

Advertisement