Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm the exact same as this, im 37 so my max would be 183, but my average HR for a race on Saturday was 181, and it went as high as 193 at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So, I think you may be overthinking this and also adding a lot of complexity to your training which you don't really need to be doing. I've been running with HR for a few years now however I use it as a guide rather than as an absolute. The reason for that is that I've never had my zones tested, I can't be 100% certain on the Max heart rate (although I have an idea) and the tools I'm using, optical HR readings, can be subject to error. All of this means, in your case, that following a HR based plan when you don't know all this data, haven't trained by HR and don't really have any time spent on understanding your HR at various paces and efforts means you are going to find you are constantly trying to figure out the plan as you go.

I would say that this whole thread could be taken up with a HR discussion and you might not even get a straight answer / answer you need without a lot of people saying you need to be tested, have your HR zones spot on, have trained or have a good idea of your HR at various efforts before you could reasonably (for a marathon in 10 weeks) get the most out of a HR based plan, in my opinion.

You've obviously ramped up your mileage and have been running Half's recently so you must have a good level of fitness so, personally, I'd go with a structured plan that works off 80% easy running and some marathon / interval / hill based work during the week. If you were going solo without a plan for your previous marathons then just following that type of structure you will see benefits. Honestly, take a look at the boards plan, it has enough of the intensity mixed with the easy running to get you where you need to be without having to worry about what zone you're running in the whole time.

On your questions

#1 Run at an easy effort (don't worry about the pace, there is no too slow a pace). It's an easy effort, you can talk and breath easily, when you finish you shouldn't really feel out of breath or tired (except for long runs when you will feel tired!)

#2 4.20m/k would seem above your marathon pace e.g. that's about a 3.05 marathon pace. Shouldn't be necessary to do this "speed" work. You should focus on a rough marathon effort / wide pace band. Based on your recent HM's and Marathons then around 4.40 / 4.50. Don't worry about the pace too much now, you can refine it closer to the time and perhaps with a HM tune up race result if you have one planned for September.

#3 As above, it's probably a little early to get too fixed on a time, get the distance in, focus on effort rather than a set pace, when you are closer to race day you'll have a better idea on where your pace will settle (remember you've another couple of months of getting fitter). I only settled on my paces in the week before my last 2 marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭alan10

Thanks all for the valuable feedback.

Yes I was just going with Garmin defaults on HR and Zones.

Did some reading and using running versity calculator - going to update based on real data and feedback from folks here.

Max HR: I have different fast runs (10K, ½ M) in last 8 weeks where I maxed to 183, 192, 197 so putting max HR 188.

Resting HR: based off last 4 weeks data – 45bpm

Using calculator gives me calculated heart rate reserve: 143 and calculated heart rate reserve zones below. Its some jump!

Will try for bit and I also like just the simple 80% easy etc… so will see how things go.

Appreciate any additional feedback.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Louis 2018

Got myself into a whirlwind with HR in the past. Settled on the below advice which came from a coach I know through a work colleague in the UK. I found that there is too much information out there and not enough of of it accurate or corelates.

"Using HR data from a watch (even expensive watches) is notoriously unreliable. Chest straps are the "most reliable" if training via HR. Also, physiological testing is a must for any of my athletes if they wish to train via HR. Lactate profile testing is very accurate (reasonably priced) and becoming more popular across all levels as it gives you a much better idea of zones etc."

I wear a chest strap, good difference of maybe 7/8 bpm with watch data which is a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Trampas

Some good advice going around. One thing I remember been told is you’re better if being 10% under cooked than 10% over cooked when it comes to marathon training. Take that as running bottom of range on paces. Plenty of more marathons to be training top of range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Absolutely not trying to get at you in any way however you've just picked 188 randomly. What if you used 197 or 200. Again I'm only say this to point out that you are using quite arbitrary numbers with little prior experience to guide you.

Consistently is king when it comes to running progress. For all athletes of our standard and ability simply adding more running volume (safely) is what will make you a better runner. You add volume by running a lot of easy miles, with a sprinkling of the right intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mossiepark

Who's doing the Frank Duffy 10 Mile this weekend? I'm looking forward it and who knows maybe a PB. The weather looks overcast but dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Re heart rates, some Garmin watches have a threshold test that sets your heart rate zones for you. I think from memory it's about 30 minutes in total. It's actually not too far off from a lab test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best of luck

I'm not planing on doing any races between now and the big one, I'll be like a fish out of water on the day 🫢

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

best of luck to anyone running the 10 miler at the weekend. Do drop by the thread and give us an update after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SimpleDimple

For the 10 mile tomorrow, should I take it flat out or marathon pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭TheRef

As the Boards plan says "Give it socks".

That's assuming you had didn't overdo it in any of your sessions this week. Remeber the goal is to get to October fresh and healthy, so see tomorrow as a test event for October. Pull back a little if needed. Decide your pace today and stick to it. If you feel fresh with a few km to go, then you can open it up, but don't over do it early on.

Make sure you get everything ready tonight and go through it all twice.

I remember doing this event in 2008 and the lad on the microphone said something I've never forgotten: "Its not the distance that will get you, but the pace".

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Definitely race it, it will stand to you and you will thank yourself after.

*Don't get too caught up with trying to run hard in the first mile or two, weaving in and out of the milling masses is a waste, steady pace is always the best practice at the start of races above 10 mile. Ramp it up once the road clears and don't leave anything out there.

thanks great advice!

give it a good honest effort. Remember about practicing racing so not starting off too fast, assessing can you push on for the last couple of km/miles, managing running in a crowd and your fueling/hydration.. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

FD update

Really enjoyed that. Race went well. I felt controlled throughout and decided to push on towards the end. Came home with a PB and a better finish time than I had expected so a good day in the office 😀

Used Garmin pace pro for pacing and it worked well for me.

Probably had a little more time to give but was happy to finish with a little in the tank rather than overcook things.

Really enjoyed that race! Weather was pretty much as good as it gets, not too warm, nice breeze that was on our backs at mile 7 to get us up the long pull. I paced myself well, managed to come in 4 minutes quicker than the runnersworld predictor so was happy with that!

Felt nice and strong, 2nd 5 miles were quicker than the first. Probably near enough to my max effort, missed my pb by about 40secs, though I will say I had no clue I set that pb in the first place (thanks strava for reminding me!), so I’m taking it as the fastest race in recent memory 😅

Nearly got obliterated by a couple of stags who sprinted across the route near mile 9, apart from that the crowd were great 😅 It was a good reminder though that when a race says please no earphones they probably have a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Enjoyed the FD a lot today, great conditions for it and good vibes. Although it can be a little hilly, I was well used to the Phoenix Park routes as I run there several times a week, which definitely helped my pacing.

Finished in 1:14:16, negative splitting the back half by 20s, so was delighted with that vis-a-vis my DCM prep. Had some more in the tank but was on tired legs and somewhat thinking about the 32km I'll have to do on Monday!

Goody bag was welcome and the race shirt is comfy, no complaints here. Cheers to all the staff and fellow runners, especially the Ringsend Running Club lads that I ended up next to for the last mile, those shouts of "DIG FUCKEN DEEP" kept me honest :)

great reports coming in for the 10 miler - well done!! Great runs!!! Delighted for ye!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mossiepark

Hi all,

I would echo the above comments about how good a day it was. Glorious weather for running and a really well run event. I went out hoping to beat my PB of 1.20.30 so decided to run with the 80 minute pacers. By the time we hit the S bends I had inadvertently pulled away from them and found my pace had increased. I was feeling good so kicked on and delighted to have finished in 1.16.57 with even splits throughout. More importantly, I got through it with no injuries and no niggles this evening....yet.

I have a difficult week next week as I'm abroad and the heat looks to be 32 degrees. That coupled with golf and pints might throw me out of whack but I'll manage it as best as I can.

I'm fully attributing today's PB to the excellent advice and guidance from the mentors on here. Thanks for the advice all and look forward too pushing on towards 27th October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭solidasarock

Didnt have a great night sleep and nearly stayed in bed but dragged myself to the race and dont regret it. 30 seconds off my 10 mile PB which was set in the before times. Feel like the training is showing results.

I really do enjoy the Duffy 10 miler.

Just a nice distance where I feel challenged but not falling apart like I do at the longer distances. I think the crowd size and phoenix park is perfect for that distance.

The half is quite crowded on the narrow footpaths.

Post edited by solidasarock on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Anyone know where/when the Frank Duffy photos would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭TheRef

I think it's a few days iirc. You will get an email with a link to your photos.

There’ll be photos on social media if you’re in to that. You might find yourself in them but it’ll be a few days as said before on marathon photos.com I think the site you usually find them

And so on to WEEK 9 

Well done for getting this far, hopefully everyone is feeling good about their training but don't be disheartened if you are feeling a bit of a struggle. What we are doing is out of the ordinary, you'll be part of the 1% here of people who ever attempt this. At this stage it is very normal to be feeling tired, have some niggles, have some training runs that are really meh and also to want to throw in the towel. I’m feeling it myself some days! But please don't, we are making progress, so keep the show on the road, put one foot in front of the other, keep getting out (slowly!) and building up those miles/kilometres.

How was the past week for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

I hope the Frank Duffy 10 Mile went well for those who ran it. I’ve really enjoyed reading the reports posted here and seeing the runs on Strava. I’m delighted to see that your training is paying off and that your are learning to pace and race well. Hopefully you will have come away having learnt something from the day. Remember: your marathon IS the big day, everything you are doing between now and then is just preparation for it, you're not aiming for PB's necessarily or even for a perfect race, it is just practice, a learning experience and to get you both mentally and physically ready for your marathon.

Looking ahead to this weeks’s plan:

Plan |Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|14m lsr|rest

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|2m rec

14m= 22.5km    16m = 26km

It's the highest mileage week yet for both plans, and the long runs enter uncharted territory too.

If you were racing at the weekend be mindful, particularly early in the week. Your legs will be tired so listen to your body and don't be afraid to skip or cut short an easy run if needs be. Just be honest with yourself and listen to your body. If you have a niggle, see how it's feeling, don't push it if it's at you and look to perhaps getting  a physio appointment.

Good luck this week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

Week gone past was fine:

• got all the runs done
    • hit all S&C
    • missed yoga, I was a bit under the weather during mid-week.
    • did better than expected at FD 10 mile which gives me a bit of confidence in training so far

I was pretty tired after FD. My recovery was ok - some good rest, but food could have been better. However, was very happy that there were no niggles afterwards. Glad that I went to physio early with hip niggle and have been getting through my exercises as part of S&C. One of the mentors stressed the importance of S&C in this thread and they have been so right - was great advice.

Next week:

Plan |Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday

Runna|S&C|5K (3K tempo)|S&C + Yoga|8k (3x mile repeats)|rest|7k easy|25k (12k @ MP)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

so I’ve had an eventful week. During last weeks plan I tried to include a local 5K race as part of the 6M. Ended up doing that as part of it and ended up with a PB. Unfortunately I felt a sharp pain in the hip and Achilles. Took a break in the hope that they would settle. The hip feels ok but the Achilles is still tender to touch but is ok when out. Had EP at the weekend so missed the 10 miler. Got back into it tonight with 3 miles and hoping to get the 14 miles in tomorrow as I have a big birthday this weekend and it’s not going to be feasible to get it done then! Hopefully this is ok and I can move into the next week in ok shape

well done for trying to work your marathon training around life. Keep an eye on that Achilles, have a physio look at it if it’s still giving trouble. Enjoy the big birthday celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

so I tried to do my LSR yday, 14 miles.

Only managed 12.6 and was absolutely burnt out. Tried gels for the 1st time, wasn’t mad about them. A recurring theme in my Lsr is getting to 9 miles and crashing. Really disappointed as I had hoped to run it all.

my question is what should be approach be? I try to run it all and I do get to 9 miles or so ok and paces in the same ballpark but I fatigue like crazy after that point. I know the plan says to walk but there was literally no way I could go for more distance yesterday even if I had a car!

It’s frustrating but also worrying as I feel like completing the marathon is beyond the realms of possibility at this stage

• Advertisement

Slow down and what are you eating and activities before the run

Advertisement