Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Limerick Cork will be a sell-out.

Clare Limerick will be close to a sell out

Clare V Cork in Ennis will sell out

Clare V Tipp in Ennis will be a sell-out.

Not sure with Waterford depending on the results but Clare v Waterford will be sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick are heading down to Waterford so you would imagine we will sell it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭HurlingBoy

It's hard to know how hungry Limerick will be for it next year. They have won 5 in 6 years with practically the same team through that period. There will need to be an infusion of 3 to 4 players with the some of the regular players maybe needing to become squad players which can be more difficult for a manager keeping the spirit of the group intact. Kilkenny came back after doing 4 in a row and won another 4 over 5 years so anything is possible. Back2Back All Ireland's would be a great achievement for Clare given their age profile. Cork should have serious hunger next year and be highly motivated but there is extra pressure now for them. It's hard to see any other county winning Liam next year. Cork, Clare or Limk

I can't imagine Limerick will be anything other than hungry after a year of watching Clare waltz around with what has been our trophy for quite a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

The neighbours might give visitation rights 🤣

Agree there will be an extra edge to the will to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. I reckon the Limerick team will be itching to get back to action in the new year and put silverware in the cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I think the fact this year was the drive for 5 it'll leave a very sour taste in their mouths. Limerick are a panel of young veterans like the great Kilkenny team after tipp beat them in 2010. If I was to predict I'd guess Limerick will win 3 of the next 5. Now I don't expect Limerick fans to be that cocky but as a neutral that's what I'm going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Agree there is definitely more titles in this team age profile is right to drive it on. Sometimes a loss can remind a team how much they want to win. A semi final is a tough spot to lose this will drive them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Knockdromin

A number of things will need to change. There were warning signs on the hunger front. Cork were first to everything for the first 20 minutes of the second half. They wanted it more and Limerick raised a gallop in the closing 15 but they had left themselves too much to do.

It feels like they fall back on their belief that they can turn any situation around because of having done it a number of times before. Got out of jail in Ennis, almost got out of jail down in Cork. The game management needs to be better when the opposition is on top. We can’t go 8-10 points down in games and expect to turn it around.

Team selection has been conservative over the years and rightly so given what they have delivered. But changes are now necessary. A handful of the old reliables only performed in patches. Our half back line needs changes, partially in terms of personnel but also in terms of support from 8 to 12. Cork avoided Hayes, exploited Byrnes’ defensive weaknesses and coaxed Hannon out of his deep lying role and forced him to engage. In both games.

Hunger and hurt will only do so much. A few personnel and tactical adjustments are required, nothing drastic but Cork exposed a number of weaknesses, twice. And we need a Plan B that isn’t just do Plan A better.

We’ll be contenders for another 3/4 years for sure but we need to address a few things first to go from contenders back to winners.

• Advertisement

The core of this Limerick team were from the 2015\2017 All Ireland U21 Winning Teams. They are all 28-30 now with alot of mileage on the clock. JKiely did a remarkable job getting 5 All Ireland in 6 years which is unbelievable return. I would be concerned that there is not enough star quality coming through from U17/U20 over the last few years. Apart from Cathal O'Neill no other players have been able to break into the team. The Round Robin won't be any easier next season. Limerick will be still the team that every other team will want to bring down rather than Clare. I think JK will use the round robin to blood more players next season and rotate the players giving them more experience. The likes of Colin Coughlan did not see any championship time and if he had would surely have being introduced in the semi final against Cork. We are light on cover from 2-9 and I think this will be areas that will need to be focused on during the league. There is going to 3/4 injuries to contend with every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Yes there's always injuries well for us anyway we're due a break though and if we get it and have a full squad to go with we'll be hard beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think there is need for drastic change , i think the likes of cathal o'neill and colin coughlin have been groomed to take over in the half back line , a few tough decisions will have to be made but few changes needed , maybe hegerty and hayes either side of coughlin could be the new half back line

We’ll not be getting a break injury wise. There have been significant injuries to first choice players for each of the last 5 seasons. The bulk of the first teamers were born in 1994/95/96 and it’s a lot easier to recover from long term injuries in ones early to mid 20’s than it is in their late 20’s and early 30’s.

Certain players haven’t quite been the same since recovering. It’s something we will continue dealing with, especially when we have a key group of a dozen players moving into their 30’s. We have lads who played non stop from minor level all the way to their mid 20’s until they pick up a long term injury and things have been a bit more stop start since.

Some of those players need to be transitioned into impact sub roles, still a massively important role but I think we’ve seen enough in Adam English and Shane O’Brien to suggest they should be nailed on starters. O’Dalaigh still a bit of a rough diamond but there’s a serious player there once he nails down winning the ball first time. Our defence needs an injection of pace too - Kyle Hayes at 26 is our youngest regular defender. I’d start Fergal O’Connor and Coughlan in all 6 league games next year as both are still not quite there yet and we need to give them every opportunity.

Time to invest in the younger fringe players, we’ll still have one hell of a bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/john-kiely-set-to-remain-in-charge-of-limerick-hurlers-as-treaty-bid-to-recapture-all-ireland-title/a742675920.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR20zEdYMtGufbN6VLwl8CaHPY29K5-7ycTmP1AOwGv8QlVqibf_0JY112o_aem_aiaJssqXddLl0BffnLCe1Q#m02uim2s7s9epwn9rlb

was it ever in doubt 🧐

Hon Limerick

Great news. Hopefully all the players will stay on board. There is certainly a few more All Irelands in this team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Are any of the club games being shown on tv/streaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

doesn’t look like it , too much like work for county board . They also got rid of county program that had all 64 hurling teams for championship weekends in it which was a major step backwards in terms of promotional work . They used the excuse of losing money but it was only small money which is offset by the large takings at the gate those weekends .

What was in those programmes ?

Previews of the whole country championship for the week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

They had the line ups for every match across all grades.

2025 Munster Hurling Fixtures:

April 19/20th:

• Clare vs Cork
    • Tipperary vs Limerick

April 26/27th:

• Cork vs Tipperary
    • Waterford vs Clare

May 3/4th:

- Waterford vs Limerick

May 10/11th:

- Clare vs Tipperary

May 17/18th:

• Limerick vs Cork
    • Tipperary vs Waterford

May 24/25th:

• Limerick vs Clare
    • Cork vs Waterford

An All-Ireland final rematch to kick it off

Post edited by moby2101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Where were these published?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Various outlets I think, definitely in the Examiner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 biglad40isback

if kiely was walking away it would be announced by now. Sure davy has left a county and got a job with a county and vacant roles more or less filled since.

Interesting not one player retirement yet.

Anyword on casey. Danilo for forest had a similiar injury completely broken ankle in the prem in august and is expected back january.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 biglad40isback

need curid back. The two seasons she wasnt involved. 2019 and 2024 two sf losses.

Kiely and Kinnerk confirmed for 2 more years.

Was never in doubt. Though my favourite rumour over the last few months was the Paul Kinnerk and the Dutch national hockey team!

They still have the players to win one or both of the two AI’s on the new term. But a number of changes are needed as well. A lot of lessons to be learned from the first half down in Supervalue Park and the second half in Croke Park.

Getting Currid back would be massive, and you’d have to assume contact has been made but Sligo hasn’t gotten any closer to Limerick in the last 12 months. We may need to move on and learn to win without her.

• Advertisement

How do you know when a thread is full ?

This one seems to be acting weird so maybe it's time for "part 3"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No new thread needed, they all act the same and no limit of posts in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

Some of the younger Limerick cohort really performing well this weekend, Shane O'brien 0-7, O Dalaigh 0-6, Aidan O Connor 3-9 and Adam English 0-8.

Over format of the championship could do with a refresh. Patrickswell three losses and still through to quarter finals.

The format is delivering exactly as intended in terms of delivering the best 4 teams to the semi finals but it seems to be the same 4 teams for nearly a decade now?

Aside from when South Liberties earned a shock win over Patrickswell in the 2022 semi finals it has been Kilmallock, Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell in the semi finals every year since Ballybrown made the 2016 final and it looks likely to be the same 4 once again this year.

It’s gone stale. The format suits the big 4 as there’s no real jeopardy until next weekend. Senior B is more wide open but the team that goes up generally tends to come straight back down. And then you have Ahane in limbo for the last 5 years - 5th place every year, just short of competing with the big 4 and good enough to retain their place in Senior A.

Open draw on two non tiered groups of 6 would add a bit of variety. But an even bigger issue we need to address is how we can go so long with effectively a closed shop of top tier teams. Up until the mid 2010’s there would have been a greater rotation of teams making the last 4. Good on those clubs as they obviously have their house in order but is there anything that can be done to help bring other clubs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭rjoe90

I think we are getting to the stage where the gap is closing on the big 4. We saw that with Ahane beating Doon last weekend and running a few teams close. Monaleen look promising also with some talented young players that have come through in the last few years. Mungret although had a poor year are getting closer aswel with their underage success.

Doon had nothing to play for. Ahane are pretty average. Lots of good work in Monaleen and Mungret alright.

There is no big 4 in Limerick GAA. A big 3,4, whatever tag is always in relation to teams who dominate for generations so it's a bit rich to call NaP who are only recently successful and Doon who have never won a county the "big 4". It's like saying Limerick and Clare are part of the "big 3" in intercounty.

• Advertisement

Ahane aren’t quite at that top level but certainly aren’t “average”. They ran every team close in senior A and beat Mungret.

There is a big 4 performance wise over the last 10 years though. Each of them has been in the semi final consistently over that period and very few teams outside the “big 4” have been able to actually beat them.

Ahane are running teams close in a system where the title contenders are looking to peak later in the tournament. They are nowhere near causing any trouble in ado or die game.

There is currently a best 4 but I don't think it's anything to worry about or says much about Limerick hurling. Teams will come and go same as before.

Hard to know, but they are certainly not “average”.

Eventually this will change yeah and will more than likely be Monaleen/Mungret who do put an end to this current big 4 we’ve had for the last 10 years.

Post edited by rjoe90 on

Mungret and Monaleen have huge population centres and are doing alot of good work underage so likely that they will join NaP and you will have a big 3 contending. Pwell, Kilmallock, Doon etc will always have tradition but it will be difficult for them stay in the top 4.

The Well have managed it so far and the population of that area is probably only going to grow. It's less than a 10 minute drive from Ballycummin. They should be trying to pick up kids from clubless Raheen if they are not already.

Much harder for somewhere like Doon which doesn't have the history or the numbers.

• Advertisement

Doon have Oola as well to pick from and although they have never won a Senior would have always been in the senior grade and would always have representation on Limk minor, U20 etc. There has been very little new housing estates built in rural villages in the last 20 years so rural clubs are likely to struggle going forward in terms of numbers.

Ya you can see it all over the country with city and big market town teams in the ascendancy. With numbers getting smaller and travel getting easier we will probably see a raft of amalgamations at senior level in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They've been the 4 semi finalists for 6 of the last 7 years I believe so obvious why they've currently that tag.

Yeah and since 2016 no other team outside the big 4 has been in a county final,

Doon were already assured of a semi final spot. Different story if something was on the line for them.

Weird response to be honest. It was about as clear as can be that the context was within the last decade of county championships where those 4 clubs have had an almost unbroken lockout of the semi final positions.

The post to me read like you were describing the Limerick hurling championship to be something like La Liga or Scottish soccer where everyone except the "big" whatever have no hope.

You called it a "closed shop" but I don't think it's correct to call anything that over a 10 year period especially with 2 teams who were never successful before that period. You called it an "issue we need to address" but there is no issue.

Would be great to see divisional teams back. If I recall there was Eastern Gales, Southern Gaels etc made up of Junior teams from each division. Probably very difficult to implement with the split season now and such a small window for club games. Hego and CON on the same team v Pwell would be interesting. Championship gone stale with practically same last 4 every year.

I called it “effectively a closed shop” which is not the same as a “closed shop”.

Do you really not see how the the same four teams having an almost unbroken hold on the semi final spots for the best part of a decade cannot be analogously (and given how pedantic you are on semantics I actually have to clarify that I’m speaking analogously rather than literally) termed as effectively a closed shop or a big 4? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, you know full well what I mean.

As for something needing to be addressed - yes, we need more competitive clubs. The day we don’t strive for that is the day we may as well just call it a day.

If we found ourselves in a situation where 4 counties locked out the All Ireland semi final positions for 9 out of 10 years we’d be hearing non stop about the state of the game and how to bring more counties back into the fold.

"The day we don’t strive for that is the day we may as well just call it a day"

Some teams currently (and currently is the massive word in all this) does not mean people are not "striving for" more competitive clubs. If there were no signs that other clubs are coming up I would understand your point but the "big 4" are not tearing underage competitions apart and don't look like they will all be the obvious semi finalists when the next generation comes around.

There just isn't a problem here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement