Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Lightning up here now, thankfully not heavy rain (for now) as ground was only recovering the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Serious pyrotechnics here in Leitrim last night,got up at 2am and plugged out everything as thunder and lightning were very close to the house.

Heavy showers after that……really is a disaster of a ‘Summer’……..no run of 3/4 good days in a row up here……

People at the mercy of the rain Gods to try and get dry silage saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Windy night but a dry morning. Could do with a bit of rain as grass growth is slowing down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Tileman

never got a drop Of rain overnight. Few flashes of lightening but no thunder. I cut silage on Friday and it had gone into hay on Sunday morning. Savage drying out. Wrapped it as Haylage but if I’d known we would miss the showers I’d have left it as hay. Great drying wind out again today.
    we could have done with a drop of rain for grass growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭DBK1

Baled stuff yesterday eve that was only cut late sat eve and shook out yesterday morning and it was haylage too. Unreal drying out the last couple of days.

We never saw a drop of rain either in the midlands and we’ve been bulling ourselves the last 2 days trying to get all done before Sunday nights rain🙄

I was the same working flat out , Friday, Saturday and yesterday and now a fantastic day. Pity they can’t predict it a bit better now. My baler man says he wasn’t watched the weather in years as he never plan any work if he did. Starting to think he is right.

Ah well at least that’s all the fodder done for the year. Bit of straw to get and get fym out now and we are newly everything done

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somofagun

Cant even go in on the fields here in South Tyrone, have a load of topping to do and that rain last night has made it alot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RockOrBog

Theres a bad week of rain promised here as if land wasn't sticky enough already. Fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

badly wanted rain here to get fertiliser in that went out. ground is hard as a rock and cool breeze each evening come 7 pm, growth suffering badly

106mm of rain fell here in the first 2 weeks of August and it's rained most days since then.

The worst "summer" I remember in my time and I've seen a few bad ones.

They say '86 was bad but that was before my time.

• Advertisement

a winters night.
    was at a my h with kids and they were nearly froze when the came off and they were running a lot horrendous year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭green daries

Tough night here. Strong gusts of wind and heavy showers of rain. Raining steadily since around 7pm yesterday evening.

As bad as the ground was it’s even worse. Any sign of dry heat

Ground is like iron here. Can barely put a pigtail stake in the ground. I was discing ground yesterday, had a job to get it into the ground it was so dry.

Jesus neighbours put in the suckling cows here yesterday 😳

Same around here. I only remarked to myself earlier in the week as the pigtails were all bending trying to get them into the ground that the place hasn’t been as dry and hard since 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Where is that, we got feck all rain here last few weeks

Mid west area we are not too bad here further west and north a completely swimming. We were supposed to avoid last night ...... but we got every bit of it. Well sick of this year but the quad isn't getting stuck in gaps yet 🙃 🙄

Friend 25 miles south of me begging for rain

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Just like last winter where the south of the country was getting every last bit of rain that was going and the north was escaping relatively speaking. This summer nearly every band of rain has been travelling on a line from say Galway to Belfast and above

Grass growth has nearly stopped here. Brought in a load of zero grazing this morning. The rain softened up the ground that was discedyesterday so I'm hoping to get grass seeds in today and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somofagun

Alot of men have the cattle in the sheds around here, mine are going in the weekend, I have a field with a decent covering but I cant let them in on it as I couldnt even get the tractor on it to level the ruts from when they last came off it at the end of July. If I let them on it again they will have it tramped to shite so it will be left for the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭V6400

Ground is every bit as bad here as it was this time last year but boil ups that appeared last year mean that overall things are worse. If it doesnt pick up soon cattle will be going in meaning that they will have spent more than 8 months of 2024 housed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't think we had four dry days in a row here since the end of June last year. The rain may not have been heavy at times but it rained all the same. I was traveling to Mullingar this morning for a 10am appointment and I noticed large numbers of swallows and house martins gathering on the telephone wires - I reckon they have given up on summer here and are heading on their holidays to sub Saharan Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

Alot my neighbor's including myself have been doing smash n grab with silage last few day's...cut turned 2 hour's and baled 2 hours later....we all caught last year's with silage that rotted in Field from August.…Not forgotten so we just cutting whenever can. We're worried about winter coming in sep,😬

Post edited by grange mac on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm worried about the spring barley straw crop. Most that I've seen around NCD, Meath and Kildare is still green at the stem and the straw is only about a foot high. Fingers crossed the weather improves in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,937 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was at a pitch today. The wind would go right through you. Felt like winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Danny healy ray

talking to a fisherman from dingle this morning he says a heat wave from September 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya the new moon is coming the start of September. The Sunday one is finished. Its made a lot of rain here in West Cork in August. A dry September and a fair October is badly wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Likewise. I’m in Mayo so good chance it was a different fisherman 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's like October/November here. Grass is scare so strip grazing. Making a balls of the field, but should roll back in okay. Fields are totally waterlogged.

Have a field set aside for second cut, but may have to use it for grazing - it hasn't really grown much either with softens the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's the worse night ever here. Hopefully this it might dry up a bit soon. Land is waterlogged.

Plenty of rain here overnight. I'd take another day of it if its coming. Ground is like iron.

Finally some dry weather in the 7 day forecast, I'm sick of looking at cattle with humps on them standing along ditches in the rain.

It's amazing for such a small country you have totally different weather conditions not so far apart on a map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

I see that the forecast for next week is gone to the dogs. Could we not get one week of dry weather, too much to ask for i suppose, it’s fair sickening at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I was expecting a mini heatwave like last year on Tuesday evening it was so balmy, nothing only dirty showers since and the fine forecast is finishing on Saturday, tis a bit slow to say the least.

A smashing day yesterday. Up over 20°C during the middle of the day, nice morning again. A good bit of spring barley being cut around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Think the weather for next week has changed again. No rain but was giving Monday very wet here yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah only today and tomorrow looked guaranteed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's enough for me, relief milker pulled in, I'm packing the tent and heading to an island. I need a break and I hope I'll come back a better man.

A cold sunny morning here. Wind during the night. Got a small bit of rain yesterday which was needed.

It’s only since the weekend here that you can get the pigtails down in the ground without having to try 3 or 4 different spots and they bending looking for a soft spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

That’s a good complaint to have. Many would be delighted to be in such a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭V6400

Its only since the weekend here that you can put your foot down without having to try 3 or different spots for a dry spot.

Tis cold and a clear sky, I reckon it's not far off freezing tonight here on the Mullet peninsula

3°C here this morning, sun is out though. I need rain here. The grass is going back into the ground 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Danny healy ray

cloudy morning here hopefully the sun will break true iv silage cut since yesterday evening for bales a 3rd cut I'm anxious tobale it to fertiliser for grass for calves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Advertisement