Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thankfully those lovable Palestinians have never caused any problems for host countries in the past.

Jordan probably very sad to see the back of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Why aren't there ever threads on overpopulation then?

For whatever reason — this whole "overpopulation" theme is trotted out regularly on here despite the fact that refugees / asylum seekers traditionally make up a tiny fraction of our population and are not even a big proportion of our foreign-born population anyway. The enormous spike of Ukrainian refugees from 2022 onwards had a clear link to there being a war in Eastern Europe — a specific event.

It rings hollow to me when people speak about their concerns on overpopulation when that concern is only ever asserted in the specific context of refugees or migration more generally and almost always ignores the fact that from a population perspective we also have an outward flow of people thanks to the global migration system. You could more or less switch our entire immigrant / emigrant population around and you are still faced with a largely similar population.

It often just feels like the usual practice of constantly placing migrants at the forefront of society's ills and over-inflating their effect on things that are either (a) due to things that are far broader and more complex than simply migrants or (b) are things that people only ever seem to push as high priority issues when those issues can be linked in some tangential way to migrants, and which aren't pushed as high priority issues when the context is not a discussion on migration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maybe they mean over population of town squares of people with nothing to do just hanging around, or over population of people in tents with nowhere to sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The number of Irish who leave and return only differs by 1-2 thousand in the past 5 years . The focus needs to be on irregular migration as its escalating rapidy 26k expected by years end not too long ago it was 3500 . The overspend on those who make false claims .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thanks Hazel and Simon et al, from the river to the sea Dublin 4 is (temporarily) free , all the chancers have been moved from the Grand Canal (again) , how long are the Americans staying for? lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

delete

Post edited by Headshot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭thomas 123

what’s this about?

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Doesn't it feel good to know your tax euros are going to spread the same lies, disinformation, misinformation, and obfuscation that he'd accuse the Far Right of spreading?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭DeadHand

A prolific contributer implied that anyone who takes issue with current practices and policies around immigration in general and IPAs in particular could be suffering from serious mental health problems and should seek help.

There was a link and all.

It was as ironic as it was cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭thomas 123

why not name them? Or maybe moderation took swift action and there is no need ?

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

delete

‘I left Jordan on August 7 with my cousin and we flew to Turkey and then on to Scotland.

‘We heard about people arriving to the UK with no passports and being arrested, but we had our travel documents and identification with us all the time.

‘It was not a problem for us to board a ferry to Belfast and when we arrived we met a man in our contacts who drove us in his car to Dublin.

‘We paid him €300 for the two of us. He’s not Irish and I don’t know him personally, but there are people who asylum seekers get in contact with for these type of things.

‘I understand getting a bus or train would be much cheaper, but we were told that the police do random checks so we couldn’t take the risk.’

Here we have it:

Jordan is a safe country.

Leaving 2 further safe countries in Turkey and Scotland

Organised Human Trafficking down from Belfast, is there anything going to be done about this? Not a hoop!!!

______

Asked why they opted to come to Ireland as opposed to the UK, he replied: ‘We were afraid the UK government would send us to Rwanda and believe we would be treated better in Ireland.’

It's truly laughable, a scheme long dead is still put the fear in these people and they see Ireland as a soft touch, so a figment of their imagination is scaring them over anything Ireland could do to deter them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭creeper1

Simon Harris "this needs to be dealt with at EU level

Although there's some truth to that it should not be used as an excuse to abdicate resposibility.

He and his coalition are in power.

They only need stop being so generous and they'll reduce numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Why do we have a government at all. I ask myself a lot of the time. Theyre such a useless shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It seems to me that McDowell is lining up a presidential run for 2025. The cynic in me is telling me he's playing to the gallery just as Harris did for the local/Euros in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I believe, at this point, one would struggle to find genuine refugees, or people fleeing persecution in the traditional sense, among the ever growing mass of IPAs.

From Michael McDowell to the Department of Justice itself, it has been recognised and stated that the IPA system has become a popular means whereby economic migrants can gain a foothold in the State and (eventually) access fully the economy and generous social welfare system of the country without significant checks or challenge.

Crucially, the current practice around IPAs also generates mountains of cash and influence for native capitalists and NGOs in what amounts to a huge, lucrative system of state-sponsored human trafficking.

Post edited by DeadHand on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭twinytwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

And what should be done about people coming in from Northern Ireland?

'Build that wall!', 'Build that wall!', 'Build that wall!'

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Just to add what an embarrassment of a country Ireland is .No homes for the Irish and hotels for illegal refugees along with social welfare and priority for everything.

• Advertisement

Brilliant contribution.

Plenty of options to try, Automatic rejection of claim and a plane ticket home. Work with the UK government to prevent the abuse of the CTA. Much cheaper than building a wall.

But to be honest, given your stance on all of this I am surprised you are not out demanding we start running a free ferry service from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why are there no threads on the sky being blue? If a thread on overpopulation is that important to you. You are more than welcome to start one.

The thread is about refugee policy,not general migration. Read the mod updates on the 1st post if you need further clarification.

If you wish to discuss Ireland's emigration patterns/problems, again, open a thread. Kindly stop conflating legal migration with asylum seeking/illegal economic migration.

Virtually no one (yes, there are a few loopers) blames migrants for Ireland's problems. Before you bring it up, yes we know migrants did not cause the housing crisis. If you are bringing multiples more people into the country than you are building houses this just makes it magnitudes worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

That's it? That's your great mass-deportation plan you've been so secretive about all this time?

Buying people a plane ticket home! I wasn't expecting much tbh but I thought you'd have come up with something better than this quite unoriginal take on voluntary deportations.

As for working with the UK government, I'm sure it's top of their priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes but again, what you're talking about here is a targeted concern about high immigration — not overpopulation. Regardless of annual numbers, the overall numbers show that there probably wouldn't be a hugely material difference in our population if immigrants and emigrants were swapped around.

What that tells you is that it's not a problem of overpopulation that we have. What we have is a problem of there being a historic and ongoing lack of impetus to modernise and improve our infrastructure and resources to deal with the inevitable population increase deriving from our emergence as a modern dynamic economy — not to mention an almost abject failure to make practical provision for the fact that we have rapidly changed from a very rural / agricultural society into an increasingly urbanised one.

Notwithstanding the fact that the influx of Ukrainian refugees was an unprecedented event (and one which — while we can argue all day as to what was the right way to approach it — we probably could not have completely avoided) — I'm not sure I buy the argument that it's realistic to expect we would not be experiencing the housing, services and cost of living issues of today if asylum seekers disappeared or we dramatically reduced migration (without that reduction causing problems of its own).

Video recorded by IPAs in Dundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭prunudo

The whole system is a shambles. They're pawns in a money making scheme, the government don't care for anyone but themselves, neither born and bred citizens or those they claim we have international obligations towards.

Although, the women is obviously being coached by a ngo or do gooder, it is still isn't a good situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭cal naughton

Wow the sense of entitlement is off the charts in that video! I get a sense that things are going to boil over in these facilities soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The Prime Time investigates crew will be all over this one - It will dominate the airwaves for weeks

There is the small chance however, that they'll just stick with the reporting of Gaza and ignore this domestic issue for some unknown reason

Will we have a - "extra.ie-A source of misinformation" - thread started because they did a hurty article about the Govt/FG?

extra.ie is quite obviously a hotbed of white supremacist neo-nazi sentiment - Who knew

• Advertisement
Advertisement